Sanos videos - 17/07/17

Your ex: lead foot externally rotates as she throws the right hand. 2/10 wouldn't let her bang bro.

Nah but seriously, tell her to keep that lead foot solid and brace at the lead hip. You might have to help her with some hip mobility, or it might be an ankle problem.

You: right hand looks good. Back foot a LITTLE in the bucket at times, but still a very good punch. Nice posture and rotation. On your left hook, rotate your rear foot back into stance before you shift your weight onto it. Right now both your feet are pivoting at the same time, which isn't very balanced. Instead, the sequence should go like this after the right hand: back leg externally rotates and heel touches down, weight shifts onto solid back foot at the same time the body rotates, lead heel comes up and turns in as weight drops and punch connects.

Defense: work on slipping crosses over your right shoulder. When he throws it to the body, keep the elbow tight and bend your knees to get the elbow in the way. Avoid dropping the hand too much, and also don't just eat it because you can against this guy. Also, more variety with your evasions. You were pretty much limited to slips to your right, or covering up. The occasional roll or slip left but it always looked uncomfortable. If you're gonna try to make the guy miss by standing right in front of him, you need to be able to fluidly combine different head movement techniques AND control distance. Slips, rolls, pulls, ducks, everything, but don't just keep your head at his optimal range. Be able to step in and smother him, or step back and let him fall short. Also, you don't have to stand right in front of him. You can keep him turning with small, balanced steps in combination with your head movement. Finally, on a personal note, I'd make an effort to look a little more threatening with my positioning. Don't just hold your hands like you're afraid he's gonna hit you. Hold him like you WANT to hit HIM. When you did that, even when you weren't throwing a little back, he hesitated a lot more. If you look like a punching bag you'll get treated like one (which can work to your advantage if you want the other guy to open up more, but in this case the more he opened up the harder it was for you because you couldn't capitalize on openings). Solid positioning overall though. You kept your eyes on him and didn't get put in any really compromised spots where you looked like you would have been hurt easily.
Hey man, thanks for chiming in! Hope you are well!

Yeah she does externally rotate her lead foot a little, but it's not a mobility issue. She's got way more internal rotation in her hips than me. The ankle doesn't really rotate, especially when it's fixed, expect for the small amount combined with the inversion and eversion of the subtalar ankle joint. What I think it is, is her tendency to come off both feet. She's very bouncy from all the years of TKD. She has the same classic problem when throwing hooks, you know, raising up on both feet. Trying to take it one step at a time, she's gotten much better at sitting down and her right straight looks a lot better than a short time ago. She's got some natural explosiveness so it's pretty fun.

Thanks, I do need to be careful not to get my foot behind me. Yeah I know what you mean about the left hook. I can throw it like you say and I do when I'm shadowboxing most of the time. It's a little more forward here but I feel pretty stable. I need to practice drawing back on the hook like you say more on the bag because I don't use that much in sparring. I like body hooks and that's why I tend to fall back on the sort of rising hook on the bag.

Yeah my defensive is bad. I did make it a point to stand in front of him here because I wanted to practice not being hit in the pocket most of the time. I am terrible at slipping though, I simply can't set things up very well and exactly as you say, I have hard time slipping to my left and I have a hard time slipping opponents right hands in general. I slip their jab to my right well enough, then come back and get clocked with a right. My main defense is usually paw/parry the jab with my rear hand, small backstep, slip their jab to my right and block everything else. That and just eat it, plod forward and push them back. I need to learn to draw things out and be "proactive" in my defense, learn to smother and turn and weave/use my left hip more. I have a hard time creating space as well. It's hard man lol, I just want to bang bro.

Hey man, thanks for chiming in! Hope you are well!

Yeah she does externally rotate her lead foot a little, but it's not a mobility issue. She's got way more internal rotation in her hips than me. The ankle doesn't really rotate, especially when it's fixed, expect for the small amount combined with the inversion and eversion of the subtalar ankle joint. What I think it is, is her tendency to come off both feet. She's very bouncy from all the years of TKD. She has the same classic problem when throwing hooks, you know, raising up on both feet. Trying to take it one step at a time, she's gotten much better at sitting down and her right straight looks a lot better than a short time ago. She's got some natural explosiveness so it's pretty fun.

Thanks, I do need to be careful not to get my foot behind me. Yeah I know what you mean about the left hook. I can throw it like you say and I do when I'm shadowboxing most of the time. It's a little more forward here but I feel pretty stable. I need to practice drawing back on the hook like you say more on the bag because I don't use that much in sparring. I like body hooks and that's why I tend to fall back on the sort of rising hook on the bag.

Yeah my defensive is bad. I did make it a point to stand in front of him here because I wanted to practice not being hit in the pocket most of the time. I am terrible at slipping though, I simply can't set things up very well and exactly as you say, I have hard time slipping to my left and I have a hard time slipping opponents right hands in general. I slip their jab to my right well enough, then come back and get clocked with a right. My main defense is usually paw/parry the jab with my rear hand, small backstep, slip their jab to my right and block everything else. That and just eat it, plod forward and push them back. I need to learn to draw things out and be "proactive" in my defense, learn to smother and turn and weave/use my left hip more. I have a hard time creating space as well. It's hard man lol, I just want to bang bro.

Ah, I've seen people who tend to invert their ankle while throwing their cross compensate by turning the foot outwards, but if it's not a mobility issue that's good. The TKD background makes a lot of sense, looks like she wants to stand up tall when she punches too. Were you telling her to sit down in that video? Looked to me like she started doing a better job dropping her right knee after you said something. She does look like a good athlete too, definitely has some nice pop.

Yea that's mostly gonna be an issue if you end up trading hooks in an exchange. Ideally you'd keep at least one heel down whenever you're punching for maximum leverage.

I wouldn't really call it bad, I'd just say it's an incomplete system at this point. The things you do you generally do well, there are just certain things you struggle to answer effectively at this point. You'll develop those answers and then the system will keep getting harder to crack. If I could make a recommendation for the head movement it would be to start with Luis' tile exercise. Do it for at least a round every day, and do it before every full workout. Then, dedicate a few rounds to shadowboxing without punching. Just work head movement the same way you would work combinations. So instead of 1-2. You might go slip right-slip left, pivot out. Another really good one for you will be slip right a couple times, then imagine someone throwing a quick 1-2 so you start slipping right, but transition into a level change and a roll to your left (great set up for the body hooks you like btw, I love to go 3 body 3 head if I hit that). Basically try to figure out the combinations you struggle with, then drill the head movement combinations to evade them. This will get you more comfortable moving into different positions and prime you to react correctly when faced with those attacks. I'm the same way in that I like to just scrap, but you'll have more fun banging when you see all the openings guys leave when they miss.

Ah, I've seen people who tend to invert their ankle while throwing their cross compensate by turning the foot outwards, but if it's not a mobility issue that's good. The TKD background makes a lot of sense, looks like she wants to stand up tall when she punches too. Were you telling her to sit down in that video? Looked to me like she started doing a better job dropping her right knee after you said something. She does look like a good athlete too, definitely has some nice pop.

Yea that's mostly gonna be an issue if you end up trading hooks in an exchange. Ideally you'd keep at least one heel down whenever you're punching for maximum leverage.

I wouldn't really call it bad, I'd just say it's an incomplete system at this point. The things you do you generally do well, there are just certain things you struggle to answer effectively at this point. You'll develop those answers and then the system will keep getting harder to crack. If I could make a recommendation for the head movement it would be to start with Luis' tile exercise. Do it for at least a round every day, and do it before every full workout. Then, dedicate a few rounds to shadowboxing without punching. Just work head movement the same way you would work combinations. So instead of 1-2. You might go slip right-slip left, pivot out. Another really good one for you will be slip right a couple times, then imagine someone throwing a quick 1-2 so you start slipping right, but transition into a level change and a roll to your left (great set up for the body hooks you like btw, I love to go 3 body 3 head if I hit that). Basically try to figure out the combinations you struggle with, then drill the head movement combinations to evade them. This will get you more comfortable moving into different positions and prime you to react correctly when faced with those attacks. I'm the same way in that I like to just scrap, but you'll have more fun banging when you see all the openings guys leave when they miss.
Haha yep, I was telling her to drop down and rotate around a vertical axis without leaning basicly.

Yeah I have a hard time with the defense, but I've made it more of a priority lately. Even after that video there. I'm trying to do some of the stuff you say already, though not as diligently. Meaning I will work the hips but not as much as I probabably should.

I don't know if you saw this earlier in the thread, but this is the most recent shadowboxing vid I've done, which is about 2 weeks ago. I'm specificly trying to incorperate more hips/headmovement and working on bringing my right foot with me on the right straight. What do you think?:

Thanks for the advice again. I'll definitely practice slipping to my right before rolling under their right hand to my left. That's a hard one for me, in part because it feels unnatural and I'm a bit worried about getting caught with knees or kicks weaving too low. I'll practice doing it tight because I need more options defensively.

Your ex: lead foot externally rotates as she throws the right hand. 2/10 wouldn't let her bang bro.
hgsTCeA.png

alright, starting to read the OP now

Thanks again for the advice @j123 , @ARIZE and @AndyMaBobs . I'm really just messing around with the kicks at this point, but everything is duly noted. First and foremost I want to start to protect myself better when I kick and get the balance and flexibilty, before starting with too many variations.

Anyway, haha I said my next vid would be a sparring one, but it's going to be a while before I spar. Still having headaches, even after hitting the bag. It's very frustrating, never had them before my concussion. Had some sensibility problems in the face as well, seeing a neurologist but the waiting lists a few months long. I have exams coming up on friday so after that I'll se if I can shorten it somehow.

Anyway, I was doing some strength training yesterday with my ex and just practiced the right hand a little. I'm teaching her some stuff as well lol, she's done Taekwondo for several years and she's done a little MMA as well. Here's some short snippets:

Hers:

Mine:

PS: Here's a vid of my shit defense I did against a classmate a month or so ago. He doesn't box or anything and we're just fooling around. I have to practice a lot more. It's hard because I was never really taught to protect myself properly. Other than "hands up":

Any tips on that one would be appreciated too.

I like how you purposely rigged your defense session. Your partner comes in with just gloves, on the other hand you have shoes so you can step on his toes. F13 officially laughs at you for having no calves.

Anyway, I was doing some "strength training" yesterday with my ex and just practiced the right hand a little. I'm teaching her some stuff as well

lol

Try not to back up too much, take an angle, or tie up. Try to get out of the corner faster as well, I know its hard without having some counter striking to give openings, you could try some kind of tie up, then turn to put him on the wall/ropes

2nd vid, the straights early in looks pot shot-ish. Are you trying to work on speed?
Try to get the full extension, the straights still feel a little jammed, esp. in the combination near the end

There's this strange feeling I have that your hands seem a bit low, its around the chin and thats fine usually, but sometimes you kind of float it down subconsciously. Someone that can see that will find a way to set up nasty things like headkicks

@AndyMaBobs

Agreed, but just wanted to say that on your gif, it's a defensive teep, almost like a push kick. The mechanics for a offensive teep are a little different, and some times, a little snap (making it look like a bit of a front kick) is not that bad... Also tho body balance, the planted foot, all those have some variations.

Here: flat footed, balance to hop backwards to absorb the force of the push.
He lets the opponent close the distance, fall on his foot and then he pushes him away.

As you said, the hip thrust is very important in both cases, but again, for me there is a difference. But it's something i am not able to explain easily, specially in a forum.

For Sano. You can try to train both those with the heavy bag. When the bag is still, go for an offensive one, when the bag come back, go for a defensive teep...

Yup. I'm of the Ajarn Surat school of thought that an offensive teep should come from the rear leg rather than the lead.

Didn't read the post, only came to request nudes of said ex

Training "ex" to hit hard on teh bag without gloves and wraps. @Sano is trying to get said ex to break her hands while masking it as training. Typical besmirched manlet Sherdogger

The second I saw "sano's ex" and "j123" I thought to myself:

"well... Sano's made a mistake"

Haha yep, I was telling her to drop down and rotate around a vertical axis without leaning basicly.

Yeah I have a hard time with the defense, but I've made it more of a priority lately. Even after that video there. I'm trying to do some of the stuff you say already, though not as diligently. Meaning I will work the hips but not as much as I probabably should.

I don't know if you saw this earlier in the thread, but this is the most recent shadowboxing vid I've done, which is about 2 weeks ago. I'm specificly trying to incorperate more hips/headmovement and working on bringing my right foot with me on the right straight. What do you think?:

Thanks for the advice again. I'll definitely practice slipping to my right before rolling under their right hand to my left. That's a hard one for me, in part because it feels unnatural and I'm a bit worried about getting caught with knees or kicks weaving too low. I'll practice doing it tight because I need more options defensively.

No problem man. From a technique standpoint it looks good. You're moving with your hips and maintaining good posture, you really just need to get comfortable with it and move on to partner drills of increasing difficulty imo. Do some rounds specifically working on slipping the cross and the 1-2, but also do more pure defensive sparring and even drills like where you stand with your back to the wall defending shots. It'll all come together, at this point it's probably as much about training your eye as anything else. Last thing, it's also good to have an idea what counters you're gonna want to throw off each move, and what the opponent might do to counter that. So the easy example is if you like to outside slip then right hand, the opponent will throw a fast 1-2 to catch you opening up. That means you know you have to be able to roll or pull. Think situations through like that, especially after sparring, and figure out solutions.

alright, starting to read the OP now

I like how you purposely rigged your defense session. Your partner comes in with just gloves, on the other hand you have shoes so you can step on his toes. F13 officially laughs at you for having no calves.

lol

Try not to back up too much, take an angle, or tie up. Try to get out of the corner faster as well, I know its hard without having some counter striking to give openings, you could try some kind of tie up, then turn to put him on the wall/ropes

2nd vid, the straights early in looks pot shot-ish. Are you trying to work on speed?
Try to get the full extension, the straights still feel a little jammed, esp. in the combination near the end

There's this strange feeling I have that your hands seem a bit low, its around the chin and thats fine usually, but sometimes you kind of float it down subconsciously. Someone that can see that will find a way to set up nasty things like headkicks
I'm just practicing the mechanics of the right, that's why it looks potshotting/choppy.

Yeah I noticed I do tend to drop my hands a little bit before I punch. I think it has something to do with me trying to relax me shoulder and lats before I punch. I'll keep an eye out for it, thanks.
The second I saw "sano's ex" and "j123" I thought to myself:

"well... Sano's made a mistake"
He's just jelly of my lean calves and pretty ex girlfriend. Also I'm pretty sure I'm towering over him.

Good videos Sano, thanks for sharing.

I haven't gone through the thread in detail so these things may have been covered:

1. Dropping lower and changing head slots to throw the cross to the body could improve your defense. You don't always have to of course, but a deeper bend of the knees and a shift to the front left "inside slip" head position would be safer, especially for pot-shotting. If you intend to follow up right away, your current cross to the body will help you get punches off faster, but the position has some defensive liabilities:

14113df.jpg

Aside from a small level change, your head is stationary and easy to find when you throw this punch, and your hand position is a bit lazy. You get behind your punching shoulder nicely, but if you're going to keep that posture, it makes sense to lift your left hand with the elbow tucked.

2. It looks like you're working an upright, back-heavy fighting stance, but your head is too far forward. In fact, your head position makes it look like you're fighting off of the front hip. Moving your head closer to the back leg works for your style of boxing, and would protect you from weaving into a knee as you mentioned earlier.

3. It'd be nice to see more "hollow punches." Beyond the jab, you seem to throw all of your punches at the same speed. Try changing gears a bit; it adds a whole new dimension to shadowboxing.

4. Some of your punches don't get enough behind them, especially in flurries. I don't mean they're lacking effort or bad intentions; you literally don't get your body/arm behind some punches, so they're thrown hard and fast but still come off "slappy." Look at the level of your fist vs the level of your elbow on these hooks:

29yk2tc.gif

Your punches may not feel any more powerful, but they'll hurt more if you get the structure/mass of your arm behind the hook, rather than hitting with a fist with "nothing behind it."

Good videos Sano, thanks for sharing.

I haven't gone through the thread in detail so these things may have been covered:

1. Dropping lower and changing head slots to throw the cross to the body could improve your defense. You don't always have to of course, but a deeper bend of the knees and a shift to the front left "inside slip" head position would be safer, especially for pot-shotting. If you intend to follow up right away, your current cross to the body will help you get punches off faster, but the position has some defensive liabilities:

14113df.jpg

Aside from a small level change, your head is stationary and easy to find when you throw this punch, and your hand position is a bit lazy. You get behind your punching shoulder nicely, but if you're going to keep that posture, it makes sense to lift your left hand with the elbow tucked.

2. It looks like you're working an upright, back-heavy fighting stance, but your head is too far forward. In fact, your head position makes it look like you're fighting off of the front hip. Moving your head closer to the back leg works for your style of boxing, and would protect you from weaving into a knee as you mentioned earlier.

3. It'd be nice to see more "hollow punches." Beyond the jab, you seem to throw all of your punches at the same speed. Try changing gears a bit; it adds a whole new dimension to shadowboxing.

4. Some of your punches don't get enough behind them, especially in flurries. I don't mean they're lacking effort or bad intentions; you literally don't get your body/arm behind some punches, so they're thrown hard and fast but still come off "slappy." Look at the level of your fist vs the level of your elbow on these hooks:

29yk2tc.gif

Your punches may not feel any more powerful, but they'll hurt more if you get the structure/mass of your arm behind the hook, rather than hitting with a fist with "nothing behind it."
Hey Brando! Thanks for the time and effort man.

I usually slip to my left going to the body with the straight, in sparring. Often times when I don't, it's to set something up afterwards as you say, like a lead hook or something. I can be a little lax with my guard in general. Partly because I'm lazy and partly because I feel more relaxed and ready to strike when I have my hand a tiny bit below my chin. Problem is that I want to engage head on most of the time, so getting it further up would be smarter. Especially in the stance in the picture. I have a hard time figuring out how I could throw a straight shot down the line with no lean, without having my head centered like that.

I don't know what my style is anymore tbh. I'm in a transitioning phase. I am a lead foot, come forward, volume/pressure puncher usually without much defense. I'm trying to change that and actually get good. I'm working on having my weight back, but yeah it feels weird having my head further back.

In part why I have the same rhythm here is because I'm practicing not leaning, weight back, sitting down and using hips here. When I spar I'm much more off beat, but I do tend to get stuck a little when shadowboxing.

I like the rising hooks, but yeah I definitely tend to have very limp wrists when shadowboxing lol. I feel less tight that way, but it's a bad habit and I can see how the leverage of my upper limb dissipates some of the power. I can hit relatively hard with the lead hook on the bag though, but my hooks have never been good in sparring. Well, my hooks up top that is, my body hooks are okay.

Thanks again. Man, this is exhausting haha.

Hmm, just to summarise the thread a bit for my own sake:
- Work on some specific drills for slipping the opponents right, rolling and drawing shots out.
- Experiment with having my head further back.
- Keep my hands higher when centered and punching.
- Work on my lead hook up top and the leverage of my wrist and arm.

- Work on protecting myself by extending one arm and cross blocking with the other when I kick.
- Work the basics of kicks/knees more (turn more, extend hips more, ball of foot).

That's plenty to work with.

Thanks guys! @Brando , @a guy , @ARIZE , @AndyMaBobs , @j123

I'm just practicing the mechanics of the right, that's why it looks potshotting/choppy.

Yeah I noticed I do tend to drop my hands a little bit before I punch. I think it has something to do with me trying to relax me shoulder and lats before I punch. I'll keep an eye out for it, thanks.

He's just jelly of my lean calves and pretty ex girlfriend. Also I'm pretty sure I'm towering over him.
lol, I'm 6'5 330lbs 4% bodyfat with 23" guns

What's up my brethren!

Been a while since I posted anything. As some of you might know, I'm dealing with my second concussion in a year after coming back to training again some months ago. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Just getting back into things slowly and using the time to actually practice what I need to practice not to get blasted in the face so much. Plan is to become a better athlete and boxer/grappler, but not sure if I will spar hard or fight anymore. I want to, but it depends on the noggin.

Just a little shadowboxing vid from today, any comments or critique is appreciated as usual. I'm trying to be a bit more consistent with my dips and rolls, and switching between that, and using range and a more upright position. Sorry bout the quality, it's a little blurry:

What the fak is that? That's just boxing... I can't comment on 4 kicks and one knee you throw in your session, because just punching gets even you bored...

Other will have better advises, the 2 things i see are:

-You seem stiff in the upper body,
-You don't have defensive movement while you strike (no head movement while you punch, or bringing your right hand front of your face while you jab for example...)

Edit:

Also, you are almost always stationary when you strike, you never advance while punching. You don't step in while you jab, or bringing your back foot after a 1-2...

What the fak is that? That's just boxing... I can't comment on 4 kicks and one knee you throw in your session, because just punching gets even you bored...

Other will have better advises, the 2 things i see are:

-You seem stiff in the upper body,
-You don't have defensive movement while you strike (no head movement while you punch, or bringing your right hand front of your face while you jab for example...)

Edit:

Also, you are almost always stationary when you strike, you never advance while punching. You don't step in while you jab, or bringing your back foot after a 1-2...
You didn't see that sweet ass spinning back kick at 2:56?

Stiff ≠ Good posture and braced, but I get what you are saying. My hips are stiff as fuck though, needs a lot of work.

Good points about protecting with the rear hand while jabbing. I'm trying to keep it glued to my chin, because I tend to dip to my right a lot and get caught with headkicks. You're right I should be more aware of the guard placement when punching, I'm trying to figure something out.

I'm trying to use distance more and be more conservative, and not run into so many punches, but I see what you mean about not closing the distance!

Thanks!

Back