1. Season 6 of the International Shoop League is now active! Click here to vote on your favorite shoop submissions!

Samart payakaroon the Thai side kick

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Luke Rockholds (?) kick, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Luke Rockholds (?) kick

Luke Rockholds (?) kick White Belt

Lawrence kenshin did na AWSOME breakdown of the Thai side kick any thoughts on this technique?

shincheckin likes this.
  2. Silver tongue samurai

Silver tongue samurai Ronin

We are using a ton of teeps this montth at my gym to learn about distance. Iv always liked the side teep i find it harder to catch and a slightly longer strike. If need be you can throw it like a lead side kick and put some power in it too. Iv put a guy on his ass just catching him with it at the right time

3. Cyclone Mike

Cyclone Mike Amateur Fighter

Very effective. Samart is a fighter who thrives on distance control. Dieselnoi was able to get him because he wasn't bothered with Samart's attempts to control the distance.

William Huggins likes this.
  4. Hatake88

Hatake88 Yellow Belt

question - when you do the side teep, do you thrust your hips forward like you would a normal teep?

5. William Huggins

William Huggins Green Belt

Dieselnoi (little diesel) was the exception to the rule, Samart was a top class fight, he was very good at distance control but did not have an issue with in fighting........

6. shincheckin

shincheckin Brown Belt

i havent used it much myself but i havent practiced it either. From what I can gather its basically a hybrid of a teep/sidekick. I really dont know how effective it was vs maybe something samart was just able to pull off. If you throw it and miss, your in a very bad position. all that being said samart used it very effectively. Does anyone know if there is anybody currenlty using it today?

7. William Huggins

Not that I have seen and by that I mean on a regular basis, try it out I played with it a bit on a heavy bag it does seem to offer a little bit more stability and allows you to get some long punches off after you deliver it. I would like you to try it out in live sparring I think it might offer the advantage of not allowing your leg to get caught so easy.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    shincheckin likes this.
  8. AndyMaBobs

AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

Y'know your basement? Well right underneath that.
    Saenchai uses it all the time.

It's my go to kick - mix it up with the jab and you're always able to disturb the opponents centre line. The side on position of the foot means that its much harder to catch, and if it misses it either gets pulled back to your stance or you'll land in a good position to recover with a spinning back fist or elbow.

If you're a southpaw it's better than the regular teep - for an orthodox fighter I'm not sure.

shincheckin likes this.
  9. AndyMaBobs

AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

Y'know your basement? Well right underneath that.
    It's more that Dieselnoi was also amazing at controlling distance but just gets no credit for it. Step in halfway, let them kick, let the kick fall short, while they're compromised fully step in and begin knee desctruction.

shincheckin likes this.
  10. eternaldarkness

eternaldarkness Brown Belt

probably, but at a bitch boy like you has no right even mentioning samart's name.

11. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

Bit different, side teep/kick, I find its more "push" with the leg than hips with the tep. The leg's chambered to get the hips turned over

12. William Huggins

His step was half the ring......<45>

He could literally just pull his leg back and then step forward and he would have you....

13. Paradigm

Paradigm Gold Belt

[​IMG]

14. mikiemike87

mikiemike87 Blue Belt

I don't know any current fighters, but I do know Karuhat and at least 1 other thai fighter from Sylvie's Patreon series has taught the side teep, so it's definitely not exclusive to Samart.

shincheckin likes this.
  15. shincheckin

shincheckin Brown Belt

i bet you if we search around we can find saenchai using it