S--t you hate in video games.....

Weapon/gun charms.

Dumbest thing I've ever seen in games.

....and people buy them sometimes too.
I honestly don't mind charms or such but in a like vein, I loathe when developers enter production/concept art or speeds (sketchwork) into game vanity, chests, rewards whatnot. Just...no, lol. Filler me this, filler me that to dilute a loot drop table whatnot. The practice is weak and transparent.

The problem with those modes, is that you have to be somewhat talented to build something even remotely decent, and that's if you can wrap your head around some of it's more complex rules. I'd wager most people just built some shacks and some turrets, and called it a day. It's such a useless feature for a lot of players. If I wanted to play a base building game, I'd play one of the billions that are out there. There's no point in putting it into a game like Fallout, and because it's just a feature of the core game, it's a half ass'd base building game. Nobody wins.
I was actually base building in fallout 4 today. Im sure theres better base building games but its very cool to do it in the fallout world. My little city has so much life to it. Its also fun to kit out your settlers and assign them homes and jobs and watch them defend raids.

Why does every damn game have an environment made out of adamantium? Buildings, walls, streets, bridges......all indestructible. (Hello GTA).

For once I want a GTA game with a fully destructible environment. Buildings that can be destroyed. Bridges that can be collapsed. Streets can be blown to hell. I want to be able to destroy it all.

Nothing is more disappointing than flying a plane into the FiB building and having the plane fall apart like a toy, and the building looking completely unscathed.

Why does every damn game have an environment made out of adamantium? Buildings, walls, streets, bridges......all indestructible. (Hello GTA).

For once I want a GTA game with a fully destructible environment. Buildings that can be destroyed. Bridges that can be collapsed. Streets can be blown to hell. I want to be able to destroy it all.

Nothing is more disappointing than flying a plane into the FiB building and having the plane fall apart like a toy, and the building looking completely unscathed.
Mick or others can correct me if wrong, but I believe this follows from rendering (GPU) and computing (CPU) requirements (more assets, states optional to screen or area, the harder everything has to work) and, greater, is not unrelated to limitations on average processing power available of machines at time of development whatnot; this is also where optimisation can come into play, iirc. Would be mint of course, what you describe – interactive, destructible sandbox.

"Crackdown 3" was initially supposed to be something like that, but they had to create the engine to get everything destructible on some really powerful and innovative tech that probably wasn't a realistic install base for consumers.

"Crackdown 3" was initially supposed to be something like that, but they had to create the engine to get everything destructible on some really powerful and innovative tech that probably wasn't a realistic install base for consumers.
In spirit, I think of what Avalanche wanted for JC too.

In spirit, I think of what Avalanche wanted for JC too.

That reminds me of Red Faction: Guerilla which actually had utilized destruction mechanics. There was a post from a guy who worked on the game. The issues are primarily the amount of time it took to develop tech along with taxing the compute and GPU resources as you mentioned, and then the difficulties of coding for the density of an environment (which would be a nightmare for GTA):
So ... I worked at Volition for Saints Row 2, (developed at the same time) and then also on Red Faction Guerilla, and on the sequel.. and well let's talk about "the incredible destruction mechanics."

First, I played the game recently, and maybe it's just I know how they make the pudding, but to me I don't feel that destruction has truly stood the test of time. But that's just my opinion. It's still pretty cool, but you know, 8 years later it doesn't look that great.

So let's talk about what it took to make RF: Guerilla. That game was developed for about five years with a majority of that time being spent on the tech, heavily developed by a great team. I remember Eric Arnold did a HELL of a lot of amazing work to make the physics of everything work, but ultimately a lot of people worked on the game.

But also realize they spent 5 years to make it look as good as it does, and five years is a long ass time to make it look that good especially from a AAA industry perspective. But destruction isn't even the story that's just the feature we finally got into the game. The story of the difficulties with it is actually two issues.

A. AI. The AI in that game is amazing in that it totally handles destruction (though in hindsight it's a bit poor as it doesn't use destruction itself that often) but to make the AI understand it could go through a wall, could shoot through a destroyed wall, could see the player? I'm amazed at everything we did do.. because it's amazingly new tech.

B. Design. The real problem in the development process was we kept trying to tie "how do we make destruction fun". I went to a lot of lunches where that question kept going around the table while we were eating at Dos Reales (A mexican restaurant in Champaign, good, but now that I'm in California, it doesn't hold up as much, god Mexican food out here is SO good).

You can see the problem with Design in the final game. Destruction is cool right? But we couldn't have the world at the density as Saints Row 2, in fact the world as it was in Guerilla was about as dense as they could get it. Armageddon was moved underground because it was thought it could help add to the destruction. Which it did, but you can be the judge if that's a better game.

It's not necessarily memory that holds back the game, but the fact is calculating and evaluating destruction is HELLA expensive on the processor. There was a few early tests where we showed how easily it was to just grind the game to a halt. The real problem is if you had a building close to another building and blew the "final" chunk out of your building letting it collide to the next building, you could have two massive structures collapse at the same time. Of course with enough buildings, explosive barrels and such you could create horrible chains that would cause a lot of destruction and kill the CPU you were running on.

This doesn't even get to the PS3, with their SPUs and fun times with that... but that's not really my area, I just heard a lot about that.

Eh I've rambled enough, but the short version is "Destruction takes a long time to implement, a long time to design around, and a long time to process on the computer. It's an expensive process in every way, that while very cool, doesn't really work when you're trying to do anything else at the same time." I mean look at the insanity in Saints Row 2, and the lack of pretty much anything to do in Guerilla. Guerrilla is DEFINITELY the technical feat for the studio, but Saints row 2 is the better received game... So... there's that as well.

I bought hitman 3 gold package and I am disappointed with the content. I felt ripped off lol

Batman Arkhan Knight

Game looks good but there is zero skill involved in fighting, its just times button smash, you can take on 10 enemies and they all wait their turn

Any game after consoles became powerful enough, mod tools are gone and developers sell skins to games.

Pay to win games

The "Forgotten Sepulcher" level in Dead Cells can be credited for this complaint.

Levels that are hazards themselves. I'm not talking levels with hazards, but levels that are made up entirely of a life draining hazard that you have to combat with items or some sort of checkpoint "safe zone" system. There's a fine line between fair challenge and total bullshit. You're sitting there thinking you've got a good handle on the game's mechanics after putting some time into it, and then BAM, you're hit with some bullshit hazard level where none of your skills matter and the goal is to basically run for your life, and not get hung up in any one area for too long. It's not the worst offense a game can commit, and some games incorporate these types of levels well enough, but I still don't like them. It's not as bad as having an arbitrary time limit, but it's in the same ballpark.

Mick or others can correct me if wrong, but I believe this follows from rendering (GPU) and computing (CPU) requirements (more assets, states optional to screen or area, the harder everything has to work) and, greater, is not unrelated to limitations on average processing power available of machines at time of development whatnot; this is also where optimisation can come into play, iirc. Would be mint of course, what you describe – interactive, destructible sandbox.

Def hardware limitations. Very few games have satisfying physics on a large scale. BF Bad Company 2 did it better than any other BF game to date. I don't know why they went the "levolution" route instead of enhancing that

Yeah, it was supposed to use the Xcloud or something to offset physics handling, would have been amazing to mess around with.

That reminds me of Red Faction: Guerilla which actually had utilized destruction mechanics. There was a post from a guy who worked on the game. The issues are primarily the amount of time it took to develop tech along with taxing the compute and GPU resources as you mentioned, and then the difficulties of coding for the density of an environment (which would be a nightmare for GTA):

The best part of RF Guerilla was detonating bombs, or using your axe to take down structures. It really sucked that by the end, when you could carry tons of explosives, that you couldn't reset the world and blow shit up.

I don't think it had an NG+ mode either, maybe the remaster does? It was a great game though, with a shitty follow up. How they thought taking away the mass destruction (still there, but less so) was a good idea is beyond me.

Crysis had solid physics too, for smaller structures, but It always gimped my systems

Faces of War and Men of War (RTS) had awesome physics too, but my poor pc's would turn into slideshows. I lvoed how could control your tanks firing and blow holes in everything

The Red Faction series was amazing for this reason. It sucks this never caught on. Give me a multiplayer FPS where you can blow everything up with rocket launchers and dynamite.

Def hardware limitations. Very few games have satisfying physics on a large scale. BF Bad Company 2 did it better than any other BF game to date. I don't know why they went the "levolution" route instead of enhancing that

Can the PS5 handle it? Next-gen hardward and all.

Oh, I agree completely. Here we are in 2021, and they still can’t simulate an environment that is destructible, dynamic, interactive, etc.

Instead they focus on creating the best looking character models they can, none of which can actually interact with the world realistically.

I k ew this thread would be me not being able to think of shit, then agreeing with all the stuff everyone else notices.

sometimes team fortress 2's melee hit registration is complete bullshit

Haven't played a wide variety of online multiplayer games. Is it common for teammate to intentionally attack teammate or teammate refuse to re-spawn and just let the team get outnumbered and slaughtered all while spamming troll preset text? What's the motive for doing shit like that? How fucked up can that player's real life be to waste time doing abnormal behavior?

One game turns out gives an error message saying you can't enter a custom room because someone you blocked or blocked you is in there, but it allows blocked players in other rooms, but flags them in red.

Also, sometimes the internet issues would make it so you cannot complete an attempt to claim a waypoint or bomb the enemy base or re-enter your machine, so it will seem like you are trolling but reality is you cannot do anything at all due to internet problems.

Haven't played a wide variety of online multiplayer games. Is it common for teammate to intentionally attack teammate or teammate refuse to re-spawn and just let the team get outnumbered and slaughtered all while spamming troll preset text? What's the motive for doing shit like that? How fucked up can that player's real life be to waste time doing abnormal behavior?

Yeah. I've come to the conclusion that trolling is half of the appeal for online games. Even in some sports game that does everything in it's power to weed out trolls like "Rocket League", there are still plenty of folks who take pride in playing for the other team.

In one game, you'll see a teammate attack another teammate, then instantly that player disappears, kicked from battle by the game, and we are shorthanded, which is better than having a teammate sabotage us.

Back