• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Rumor: Ryan Hall on TUF 22

Hall is amazing but let's be real here. None of these guys have a full camp to dedicate to 50/50 and leg lock defense. This show is tailer made for him.

Like someone else said I wouldn't be surprised if he subbed everyone the exact same way.

He injured on of my friend on purpose (heel hook) in a well known school 'cause he was 'feeling' that my firend was going too hard on him.

So, yeah, i want him to get smashed.

It's absolutely ridiculous that he can decide for someone not to go into the next round, regardless if they win or not, due to disliking their fighting style. This isn't a sport, it's sports entertainment. The UFC is a joke of a sporting organization, truthfully. It's WWE with real bouts, nothing more.
Ratings and money matter. If UFC was full of lnp i guarantee you wouldn't watch

Ryan's chess analogy was like something straight out of his dvds lol. Damn, I might have to dust of my 50/50 sets!

Thing is that he can much more easily enter this position than say someone like maia who has to get a td to use his bjj for the most part.

Appearances can be deceiving. The thing with takedowns is you can always rely on them no matter what the situation is, and they are proactive. Setups that are more reliant on your opponent placing himself in certain situations can be gameplanned, just look at some of imanaris fights for an example. Experience is constantly showing that the ability to impose your game plan largely independently of what your opponent is doing is the key to a successful grappling game at the highest levels. Theres no gameplan for someone who can take you down at will, besides just being even better than they are. That's why someone like jacare is soaring while someone like roger is coasting.

Would things be different if hoger knew how to pop kneecaps? I actually do think so. Leg entanglements are the best way for a man to fight on bottom in mma in my opinion, and their stigmatization in popular bjj culture is criminal. Never the less, even that is still closer to a reactive mode of fighting, and the grappler that is not a complete grappler, that can't put people on their butts when he wants to or needs to, can be game planned for by high level competition. Not even Paul haris was immune.

I'm sure Ryan knows all this though, he's even been competing in freestyle tournaments in recent years. Maybe right now he's just showing off imanari rolls to throw peoples scents off the trail.

The problem is they have a bunch of unstable people in there. Ryan is so intellectual and level headed I don't know how he will handle it.

I don't have that much personal experience with Ryan - and I don't think he's a bad guy or anything like that - but I do not see him responding well at all to being antagonized by the types of clowns that seem to appear on the show from time to time.

I posted this in the TUF thread, but does anyone know anything of the guard entry Hall used during warmups? Gif, video of similar stuff or anything? It was kind of fast, but it almost looked like some sort of scissor takedown where he ended up with a leg entanglement.

He injured on of my friend on purpose (heel hook) in a well known school 'cause he was 'feeling' that my firend was going too hard on him.

Did he tell your injured friend that?

He definitely carried that over from his TLI days. Those guys started that, as it's been pointed out.

Go back into the Wayback Machine and prove me wrong. Find Alliance bragging about blue and purple belt world champions first.

I don't think it's cool to brag about a colored belt championship without pointing out what belt it's for.

That's not a TLI thing. Everyone does that, and I agree it's lame. I've seen plenty of posters for seminars with guys being labeled "world champ" when the championship wasn't at black belt, and they don't point that out.

I've heard that one from a few different people, I believe you.

That's not a TLI thing. Everyone does that, and I agree it's lame. I've seen plenty of posters for seminars with guys being labeled "world champ" when the championship wasn't at black belt, and they don't point that out.

I didn't say it was just a TLI thing. I said Ryan carried that over from his TLI days and I alleged that TLI started that annoying trend.

no surprise there, great grappler and great grappling mind, but aj agazarm-like personality. heard about his tristar training a few times was funny, he would get smashed by some wrestlers (really just outworked/outmuscled) and would totally lose his cool.

that being said if he can play the palhares game, he could literally heel hook and win every TUF fight, watch out for that

Last edited:
Ryan Hall is an elite grappler facing a bunch of guys who can't really grapple. He's going to run through every single fighter on that European team without too much trouble, I think.

Ryan is a nasty grappler but we'll see how he does in the UFC. This TUF competition isn't exactly tough for someone like him.

Nunez is not a bad win at all. He beat Dugulubgov who beat Chris Wade. Wade is succeeding in the UFC at 3-0. People like to act as though TUF competition isn't there, but you can look at almost every season and find several fighters who have gone on to do well in the UFC.

I think your buddy deserved it. Ryan probably did him a favor. But instead of crying on here like a jaded ex girlfriend, go challenge him. He should not be hard to find.

If he gets KO'd or not more people would give a shit about him than you.

Personally, I don't think it's lame at all. IMO, every grappler in this forum, including me, would love to be good enough to win a world title at white, blue, purple, or brown and would shout it out every chance they would get.

Although not near as prestigious as it would be at Black, of course, it is still a hell of an accomplishment and worthy of acknowledgement for being the best at your level.

It's been amusing, and tiring at times, watching everyone argue the semantics of "elite".

I think your buddy deserved it. Ryan probably did him a favor. But instead of crying on here like a jaded ex girlfriend, go challenge him. He should not be hard to find.

You are right, fucking moron, when someone is going harder than you want, instead of comunicate, just heel hook him.

It's known here that Hall is not welcome anymore in a couple of high end gym.

Dumb ass.

Personally, I don't think it's lame at all. IMO, every grappler in this forum, including me, would love to be good enough to win a world title at white, blue, purple, or brown and would shout it out every chance they would get.

Although not near as prestigious as it would be at Black, of course, it is still a hell of an accomplishment and worthy of acknowledgement for being the best at your level.

It's been amusing, and tiring at times, watching everyone argue the semantics of "elite".

it gives the wrong impression, and not mentioning the level is intentional, to make the achievement look better.

when someone says they're a world champion, the assumption is made that at one point they were the best in the world. being a purple belt world champion is no small task, but you are in no way the best in the world. you could argue that they are the best purple belt in the world, but that's stupid.

I don't know what Ryan did or didn't do but the idea that injuring someone(especially on purpose) is doing them a favor is really freaking dumb.

It's absolutely ridiculous that he can decide for someone not to go into the next round, regardless if they win or not, due to disliking their fighting style. This isn't a sport, it's sports entertainment. The UFC is a joke of a sporting organization, truthfully. It's WWE with real bouts, nothing more.

I found that odd also. Is this a common thing in recent years? I'm just watching for Ryan and haven't seen The show in a long time.

My coworker watches every single thing UFC, and he told me that there was a rumor that Conn my coworker watches every single thing UFC, and he told me that there was a rumor that Conor had a stipulation and his coaching contract, where he said he would not coach without his teammate in the house and that that's why Dana decided to bring those two guys back. C had a stipulation and his coaching contract, where he said he would not coach without his teammate in the house and that that's why Dana decided to bring those two guys back. That Might not be true.

Does seem very strange for sports organization to hold back a winner based on preference.

Never trained with or met Hall.

However, close friends of mine who came out of Virginia confirm the stories of Ryan Hall are in line with what people say on message boards.

He is an arrogant douche bag who has purposefully injured training partners even at his own gym. I was told there were several instances of Ryan injuring his training partners and it culminated into a mass Lloyd Irvin-like exodus of the competition team following an incident where he purposefully injured a female team member.

From what I have gathered, he is not a good person. Those of you who go out of your way to shame those who speak out against him are simply fanboys who either read his Letter to the BJJ community, shared the pizza parlor video, or his bought/pirated his pretentious DVDs.

Yeah, but you know they would never say "brown belt world champ" right? Just "world champ." It's designed to not be specific so they let the uninformed reader assume black belt. Because when you hear world champ, it's natural to assume that the person is the best in the world period, not the best in the world at a division that is not the best in the world. They are excellent grapplers and few if any of us will attain that level of competitive success, sure, but it's still disingenuous.

I've found his videos really helpful. Don't know the guy, never met him, but he does seem like he comes from some kind of middle class intellectual type background. I wouldn't hold that against him; I'm a working class gutter snipe all my days but I would hope nobody would take that into account if I ever got to the point of releasing instructional DVDs or possibly being on TUF...

Sports BJJ doesn't work in MMA they said.....
Can't go for open guard or 50/50 in MMA they said....
2 weeks in a row

wow never thought he was a douche, oh well there are two sides he is an excellent teacher but an evil training partner. I am a student but not a training partner

Another episode, another heelhook. Holy shit Ryan is good.

Yeah, but you know they would never say "brown belt world champ" right? Just "world champ." It's designed to not be specific so they let the uninformed reader assume black belt. Because when you hear world champ, it's natural to assume that the person is the best in the world period, not the best in the world at a division that is not the best in the world. They are excellent grapplers and few if any of us will attain that level of competitive success, sure, but it's still disingenuous.

Good point and I see what you are saying. To appear something they are not for monetary gain, is quite douchey. I guess that is where google is again your friend:icon_chee

What I find interesting is that Ryan seems to be a lot more comfortable finishing inverted HH from 50/50 than basic heelhooks from Ashigarami/reaping position.

Never trained with or met Hall.

However, close friends of mine who came out of Virginia confirm the stories of Ryan Hall are in line with what people say on message boards.

He is an arrogant douche bag who has purposefully injured training partners even at his own gym. I was told there were several instances of Ryan injuring his training partners and it culminated into a mass Lloyd Irvin-like exodus of the competition team following an incident where he purposefully injured a female team member.

From what I have gathered, he is not a good person. Those of you who go out of your way to shame those who speak out against him are simply fanboys who either read his Letter to the BJJ community, shared the pizza parlor video, or his bought/pirated his pretentious DVDs.

Maybe he changed later, but when I knew him at the lloyd irvin school in arlington about a decade ago he was nothing of the sort

Sports BJJ doesn't work in MMA they said.....
Can't go for open guard or 50/50 in MMA they said....
2 weeks in a row

IBJJF said:
ILLEGAL TECHNIQUES:

FROM ADULT THROUGH SENIOR (BROWN & BLACK BELT)
SLAM FROM THE GUARD
CERVICAL LOCK (without choke)
SCISSORS TAKEDOWN
HEEL HOOK

You are right, fucking moron, when someone is going harder than you want, instead of comunicate, just heel hook him.

It's known here that Hall is not welcome anymore in a couple of high end gym.

Dumb ass.

What's your injured partners name and what gyms Hall isn't welcome in anymore?

Sport BJJ ≠ IBJJF rules

ADCC would be a closer comparison to MMA as it is still sporting BJJ/Grappling, nogi, and allows all those "IBJJF" rules you just tried to loosely tie to your point.

Also, I've never heard of stories like this about hall until today.

Sport BJJ ≠ IBJJF rules

ADCC would be a closer comparison to MMA as it is still sporting BJJ/Grappling, nogi, and allows all those "IBJJF" rules you just tried to loosely tie to your point.

Adcc is also only a single event only every other year only a select few get to participate in.

If you're trying to imply that carlinhos' rule set doesn't have the biggest influence on the training habits of most jiujiteiros today, youed be wrong.

are you fucking retarded?

do you tear people's knees if they go harder than you think they should? or do you tell them to calm the fuck down? because if you injure someone for going too hard without talking to them first, you're the one that deserves to get smashed to shit.

if what the guy said is true, i hope ryan gets his shit pushed in, as well as any idiot fanboy who thinks this kind of behavior is acceptable. being good at BJJ and famous in the community does not somehow excuse you for being an absolute asshole.

What I find interesting is that Ryan seems to be a lot more comfortable finishing inverted HH from 50/50 than basic heelhooks from Ashigarami/reaping position.

I think it's very calculated and that he's pretty comfortable finishing from the saddles and ashi garamis as well. I've been heel hooked by him from basically every leg position and he was clearly really comfy in all of them. When he was discussing the 50/50 the producers actually didn't show any. All of those training heel hooks were from other leg entanglements. Maybe it is stupid to read too much into it like this but I really think he's choosing to do this on purpose. He even said after the fight that there are things that he's way more dangerous with than heel hooks (which is true) but that right now he's just going to let people think that's his thing.

Back