Media Royce Gracie on the JRE

He was a pro wrestler, so chances are he was on something. Gotta remember that Josh Barnett was always built like shit despite being the record holder for most failed drug tests in MMA history.
Royce was later busted for PEDs and was also doing them his entire career for all we know.

When I first watched UFC 1 as a kid I was rooting so hard for Royce to get battered.

Now when I watch it in retrospect I can't help but admire Royce's skills for his day and how he blazed through everyone.

I respect Royce for what he was able to do in the early UFCs, especially in a tournament format where you fight more than once in one night.

However, make no mistake about it, the Gracies have a long history of padding things in their favor with certain rules, such as Shamrock not being able to wear his wrestling shoes, but Royce was allowed to wear a gi which he used in his favor, also boxers were not allowed to wear hand wraps, severely limiting how hard they could punch. They also were very careful as to who they allowed to compete. When Helio fought Kimura, they brought in soft mats because they knew Kimura could ko someone with a throw. Given it was a "Gracie Challenge", at the very beginning of the match, Kimura choked Helio unconscious for almost a minute, and only let him go because he didn't want to kill him, asking the ref if Helio was ok. Turns out, the match was allowed to continue, when just prior to this match, Kimura sent his best student to Brazil and said if you can beat him, I will show up. Helio beat him with a choke, but somehow Kimura wasn't offered the same rule. Kimura went on to ragdoll Helio, dislocating his arm in 2 places, yet to this very day the Gracies continue to say that the only reason Helio lost was because we was supposedly outweighed by 88lbs. Which is ridiculous. Kimura was about 180lbs and Helio was about 150lbs. Rener has a video of the fight on Youtube and still perpetuates this myth of being outweighed by 80 something pounds. They've never, ever acknowledged that they lost fair and square. They even call Kimura a Jui-Jitsu fighter, which Rener certainly knows the difference. Kimura was a judoka, but they called him a JJ fighter so as not to tarnish their propaganda that no other style can beat JJ.

True, I don’t really care about Rogan, I just wanted to listen to Young... so I switched to Amazon :( . Neil would probably disown me too lmao, but all his albums are there. I’m not sure about the situation now.
Useless ramblings below :
And no matter what your opinions are, I found that Neil Young had balls to do that, as, I guess, most of his revenue comes from streaming platforms (although to be fair, I’m not worried about his bank account ; he still releases new (and old, lol) material at a crazy rate, so much that, even as the one person I can say I’m a fan of, I just can’t keep up, even today. I listened to Chrome Dreams a lot recently, merely because it’s a fucking good compilation released last year, and realized not long ago that two more albums were released since then. He supposedly has a fuckton of unreleased material too, and aged really well, so I still give a look at what he does from time to time. Crazy to think that Everybody Knows This is Nowhere is from 1969.

For the story, during harder times living outside, I spent hundreds of hours covering his songs on the streets (mostly), which kept me from "just" begging, which I found really fucks with your soul when you’ve got no other choice (it still happened a lot. Storms, broken strings, broken voice, sometimes that was kinda funny, I played in really horrendous situations, and people probably just had pity on me lmao.
I owe him a lot actually, which I find a bit weird. I hope Amazon pays him good :p
But I’m mostly okay now. Not that it matters, but it’s just to say that it’s not really a sad story. I even miss some times of that life.

Neil is the man. he always comes to Hawaii to do anti-GMO concerts against Monsanto.

I respect Royce for what he was able to do in the early UFCs, especially in a tournament format where you fight more than once in one night.

However, make no mistake about it, the Gracies have a long history of padding things in their favor with certain rules, such as Shamrock not being able to wear his wrestling shoes, but Royce was allowed to wear a gi which he used in his favor, also boxers were not allowed to wear hand wraps, severely limiting how hard they could punch. They also were very careful as to who they allowed to compete. When Helio fought Kimura, they brought in soft mats because they knew Kimura could ko someone with a throw. Given it was a "Gracie Challenge", at the very beginning of the match, Kimura choked Helio unconscious for almost a minute, and only let him go because he didn't want to kill him, asking the ref if Helio was ok. Turns out, the match was allowed to continue, when just prior to this match, Kimura sent his best student to Brazil and said if you can beat him, I will show up. Helio beat him with a choke, but somehow Kimura wasn't offered the same rule. Kimura went on to ragdoll Helio, dislocating his arm in 2 places, yet to this very day the Gracies continue to say that the only reason Helio lost was because we was supposedly outweighed by 88lbs. Which is ridiculous. Kimura was about 180lbs and Helio was about 150lbs. Rener has a video of the fight on Youtube and still perpetuates this myth of being outweighed by 80 something pounds. They've never, ever acknowledged that they lost fair and square. They even call Kimura a Jui-Jitsu fighter, which Rener certainly knows the difference. Kimura was a judoka, but they called him a JJ fighter so as not to tarnish their propaganda that no other style can beat JJ.

keep fighting the good fight. people NEED to know the true history, not the one made up by the Gracies.

Royce was later busted for PEDs and was also doing them his entire career for all we know.
Oh absolutely. Very hard for me to think they wouldn't have Royce on something for UFC 1 given its purpose.

Reactions: mkt
The proper reaction is the opposite. Royce had been training BJJ since he was a toddler and had dozens of Gracie Challenge matches under his belts before the UFC. He had a huge edge over the others and the "small guy in pajamas" thing was pure marketing. Most of us early fans had that figured out just after UFC 1 & 2 and were hoping to see Royce lose. We also called his uncle Whorian for his clear conflict of interest.

It's also been well confirmed that rules and pre-conditions were set up in Royce's favor.

keep fighting the good fight. people NEED to know the true history, not the one made up by the Gracies.

Don't get me wrong - I know most of that, I know the Gracies are meant to be scum, and I know the odds were heavily stacked in Royce's favour, and UFC 1 was setup basically as a Gracie/BJJ showcase.

Nevertheless, the ruleset was almost as close as it gets to a real fight, where you were even allowed headbutts, nutshots etc. And Royce still did very well to beat significantly bigger guys with ease, some capable fighters too.

I gotta admit, I didn't know about boxers not even being able to wear handwraps. Jesus, they really did want everything stacked in their favour.

Don't get me wrong - I know most of that, I know the Gracies are meant to be scum, and I know the odds were heavily stacked in Royce's favour, and UFC 1 was setup basically as a Gracie/BJJ showcase.

Nevertheless, the ruleset was almost as close as it gets to a real fight, where you were even allowed headbutts, nutshots etc. And Royce still did very well to beat significantly bigger guys with ease, some capable fighters too.

I gotta admit, I didn't know about boxers not even being able to wear handwraps. Jesus, they really did want everything stacked in their favour.
It's also worth pointing out that Gordeau, the best striker in the event, had a broken hand and foot when he fought Royce in the final. I think Royce still would've likely beaten him and the other strikers (Pat Smith, Frazier, Rosier). But pairing Royce against a one-gloved boxer (who was supposed to "grapple" with his other hand, even though he had zero grappling experience) was an easy, low-risk first fight for Royce. Jimmerson had also gotten destroyed in a hybrid boxing/kickboxing match priror to UFC 1 by Don "the Dragon" Wilson.

Neil is the man. he always comes to Hawaii to do anti-GMO concerts against Monsanto.
Yeah, I also know that he participated in multiple editions of Farm Aid. I’m no one to cast judgement on the way he lived (and especially not interested in a COVID and Rogan related debate -not telling this for you), but I do know that his songwriting skills are absurdly great. On a personal level, this is good enough, but yeah, he surely did more than just being a good musician who became successful.

I wonder how legitimate that story is about Helio Gracie challenging Joe Louis? I'd never heard that one

Oh wow, that's really cool to see. Added to my watch later playlist.

Thanks for sharing TS @blaseblase

this doesn't make sense though. Why would anyone sign up to spotify to listen to JRE if they can just use Youtube,

It's extended and he gets to use youtube. He's more valuable than Spotify's governance over him is powerful.

It's extended and he gets to use youtube. He's more valuable than Spotify's governance over him is powerful.
But why would new subscribers join spotify just to listen to Rogan when they can listen to him on other platforms? Trying to understand what Spotify gains here by not having exclusive rights.

It's also worth pointing out that Gordeau, the best striker in the event, had a broken hand and foot when he fought Royce in the final. I think Royce still would've likely beaten him and the other strikers (Pat Smith, Frazier, Rosier). But pairing Royce against a one-gloved boxer (who was supposed to "grapple" with his other hand, even though he had zero grappling experience) was an easy, low-risk first fight for Royce. Jimmerson had also gotten destroyed in a hybrid boxing/kickboxing match priror to UFC 1 by Don "the Dragon" Wilson.

What did Gordeau accomplish after UFC 1? Nothing. You can nitpick a couple rules here and there, but Royce was clearly the best fighter out of everyone who took part in that event.

Did you read that expose article on the Gracies and their origin story? They really are terrible people lol.

I've never been able to take the Gracies seriously since I heard the Rufino Dos Santos story.

They're just a bunch of liars who were good enough at self-promotion to take all of the credit for BJJ for themselves when they started franchising their schools.

Reactions: mkt
What did Gordeau accomplish after UFC 1? Nothing. You can nitpick a couple rules here and there, but Royce was clearly the best fighter out of everyone who took part in that event.
If you read my post which you quoted, I said Royce most likely would've beaten a fresh Gordeau as well. Royce was the only one who had trained all his life for true no-holds-barred type events. But one-gloved Jimmerson was a joke (he probably would've even lost to the sumo) and a 1st round Gordeau would've been much more dangerou.

I swear I thought he extended the deal, but maybe not? Or perhaps he's allowed to do both now similar to other podcasts?
He did. It's just not an exclusive deal anymore. They're sharing other platforms ad revenue with him.

Back