Roy jones training regimen

bojack

White Belt
Reaction score
a bit of a wired question, but does anyone know what roy jones training looked like , sparing , rounds , weights , running , any other wired stuff he did in camp , etc , thanks

Google:
(as of 2002) After several rounds of warming up (and press ups) he did 12 rounds of boxing (pads/sparring/bags). Roy did 4 minute rounds all the time and then did 16 minutes each on speedball and floor-to-ceiling ball. This was followed by 1200 reps on the abs (he had gradually increased total ammount of reps on the abs over time) and 16 minutes of skipping before a stretch. He also ran 5 miles in the morning followed by squats. He played basketball after lunch. It took up 6-7 hours of his day. It is assumed that he always used that routine since splitting with his father.

Roy ate fruit for breakfast, chicken salad for lunch with some vegetables and pasta. He had a protein dinner which was usually some more chicken. He had never in his life had any alcohol or drug in him at all. When his father trained him he was also banned from womanising and even masturbation!

Apparently the only time he ever used weights to train his upper body was for the Ruiz fight, and that was the only time he ever worked with Don King too. He had promised himself never to use weights to train his upper body and also had promised himself never to work with Don King, but the Ruiz fight was a one-off and he considered it career-defining at the time.
Roy Jones Jr. Workout

Roy Jones Jr. is definitely considered one of the top 10 boxers of all time given his impeccable boxing career. After he was robbed of an Olympic medal due to partial judges who awarded the decision to their hometown hero (in what was regarded as the worst boxing scandal in the sport's history; Jones landed 86 punches to Park's 32), Roy Jones entered the professional boxing scene with a vengeance and, consequently, went on a tear. "Captain Hook" was the fighter of the decade in the 90's and his accomplishments often go overlooked. Jones went 49-1 in his run, losing his only fight to Montel Griffin in a Disqualification for a late hit. Jones reclaimed his title knocking out Griffin in the 1st round in his rematch and even beat Bernard Hopkins with a broken hand to win his first middleweight title belt. He fell into a landslide towards the end of his career as most professional boxers do (even the greatest ones) because he encompasses a passion for boxing that won't let him quit the sport. Roy Jones has probably the best body in boxing and it's his training that allows for that. His training looks like the following:

* 5 mile runs in the morning followed by squats
* Basketball after lunch
* Boxing Routine:
o 1) Several rounds of warming up and press ups
o 2) 12 rounds of boxing (pads/sparring/bags)- 4 minute rounds all the time
o 3) 16 minutes each on speedball and floor-to-ceiling ball
o 4) 1200 reps on the abs (he had gradually increased total amount of reps on the abs over time)
o 5) 16 minutes of skipping
o 6) Stretching
* Training took up 6-7 hours of his day.

Roy's nutritional plan:
Breakfast- fruit
Lunch- Chicken Salad, Vegetables, Pasta
Dinner- Protein source like chicken

He never had any alcohol or drugs enter his body ever.
Supposedly during training with his father, he never womanized or masturbated to keep his aggression levels high.

Jones loves to train and he even played a full professional basketball game immediately before his championship fight that he won against Canada's Eric Lucas in 1996.

Personally, I'm a little more curious about Rocky Marciano's. All I could recall is he would run 7 miles a day (10 before fights), run up a hill and then run back down backwards and then repeat, and shadow box underwater.

Google:

Personally, I'm a little more curious about Rocky Marciano's. All I could recall is he would run 7 miles a day (10 before fights), run up a hill and then run back down backwards and then repeat, and shadow box underwater.
thanks for the reply i would be interested in rocks to , but about rj i read that before , does any one know that seen him train first hand , or sparred with him , you guys know how the net or these books have a lot of bs ,

Google:

the aqua-shadowboxing thing was a one time gimmick started by Ali (for a photoshoot) , not Marciano.

Nowadays its considered a good rehab/joint-stress reduction excercise.

GOAT. Jones is proof weights are useless and only slow you down.

Marciano's proof long distance running is useless. What does 10 miles a day accomplish?

Marciano's proof long distance running is useless. What does 10 miles a day accomplish?

Just because a top athlete doesn't use them doesn't mean they are useless.

what are you talking about both of thoes guy are going to go down as all time greats, rock never lost a fight , and rj couldnt be touch untell he was old

I thought the long distance running was one of the reasons Rocky could push the pace for 15 straight rounds without really slowing down?

you do realize running long distance helps with the hypertrophy of the heart via pumping lots of blood to the working muscles via helps with recovery via helps with recovering the anaerobic system

They're useless for boxing.

There aren't 3 ATG's who lifted weights. Only the Bruno's and Hatton's of the world used weights.

I don't think it's necessary but it's not a bad thing if it's integrated well into your workout regimen. Check out RossTraining.com Blog that guy has some great shit. His book Infinite Intensity really flipped the script on my training. He uses weights one day (sometimes 2) during a week for strength training.

I think I pulled a hamstring just reading RJJ's training regimen.

Back