Rounds shouldn't end until a locked in submission..

RafaelDosSantos

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is successful or unsuccessful. It's like waving off a basketball buzzer beater because it didn't reach the net before the clock hit zero even though the shot was released before the horn!

Which one of you filthy animals are with me?

When Rickson promoted an MMA event a couple years ago that was one of the rules.

MillerShields2.gif

This one still gets me.

I agree but it would be in the refs hands then to tell them to stop it continue and refs are dumb. How long do you let it go too though? Like what if I have a triangle but it's not right enough for a tap out and they guy just hangs out there for 5 min?

It’s too subjective to determine when exactly it is considered locked in or not. And you’d want to be consistent with the rule and make it so the bell couldn’t save you from an eminent TKO either.

I don't think this would be a good change but at least a 10 minute round to start like in Pride would be better for submission fighters. It just makes sense.

Same for if a fighter is getting hurt by strikes

MillerShields2.gif

This one still gets me.
Mayhem was one of my favorite fighters until, well you know. I'm not teasing here because I really think he's dealing with some serious mental illness. His fighting style was entertaining and so was his personality. I remember a radio interview he did here promoting a fight when he told the story of fighting his dad as a teenager I believe. In hindsight it's probably not as funny but it had me in tears laughing so hard. It's a shame how his life and career went off track.

That takes away a lot of the pressure to beat the clock, though. You'd have less urgency to finish a fight in the last ten seconds of the round.

Mayhem was one of my favorite fighters until, well you know. I'm not teasing here because I really think he's dealing with some serious mental illness. His fighting style was entertaining and so was his personality. I remember a radio interview he did here promoting a fight when he told the story of fighting his dad as a teenager I believe. In hindsight it's probably not as funny but it had me in tears laughing so hard. It's a shame how his life and career went off track.

What's the latest with him? What is he up to now?

Last thing I remember was that church "incident".

https://www.mmafighting.com/2016/5/...s-weight-by-24-pounds-prior-to-venator-fc-iii
And the dude that I've never even heard of still went on to RNC miller. 24 pounds over. Wtf?? I believe the swat team incident happened after the church incident. That was where he barricaded himself in his house when they tried to serve a bench warrant if I'm not mistaken.

I remember that weight thing. 24 pounds wtf?

I didn't know about the swat team incident. WTF
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-mayhem-miller-jail-standoff-20141010-story.html

He has some serious mental illness. Where is he now? Is he in jail or a free man?

I remember that weight thing. 24 pounds wtf?

I didn't know about the swat team incident. WTF
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-mayhem-miller-jail-standoff-20141010-story.html

He has some serious mental illness. Where is he now? Is he in jail or a free man?
Pretty sure he's free. Took a plea on the church thing and I'm not sure he faced any charges for the bench warrant/swat fiasco. I live in Hawaii and he was pretty popular during the superbrawl/Icon sport days. He came in full heel against the top local fighter, at the time, Egan Inoue. But he won over local fans and became a pretty decent draw with a string of victories against local fighters. His submission of Robbie lawler down here was pretty epic. At this point it's hard to say if it's because of age or his mental health, but either way I just don't think he has it anymore. He wasted his prime.

Pretty sure he's free. Took a plea on the church thing and I'm not sure he faced any charges for the bench warrant/swat fiasco. I live in Hawaii and he was pretty popular during the superbrawl/Icon sport days. He came in full heel against the top local fighter, at the time, Egan Inoue. But he won over local fans and became a pretty decent draw with a string of victories against local fighters. His submission of Robbie lawler down here was pretty epic. At this point it's hard to say if it's because of age or his mental health, but either way I just don't think he has it anymore. He wasted his prime.

Not just wasted his prime, he seems to just be doing fucked up shit nowadays. It's a shame as he seems like a nice guy.

Sorry to hijack the thread. It's hard to disagree with the idea of a round not ending until a submission is either cinched or escaped because we all basically think of it in terms of "the street," or a "real fight." No ref is coming to save you in a real fight. But that's sport for you. There are rules and a clock.

Not just wasted his prime, he seems to just be doing fucked up shit nowadays. It's a shame as he seems like a nice guy.
I believe the bench warrant may have been from an assault on his sister that I read about which is why I said the story about fighting his dad isn't really funny in hindsight. He is a cool guy. He came to our gym once while he was training for a fight and was a really nice guy. Hope he rights the ship. Screw fighting, I mean his life in general.

In football (the one where a ball gets kicked by the foot) the ref doesn't end the match or go into half-time during an attack, it makes sense.

Back