Rory MacDonald wants an alternative spot in Bellator's heavyweight grand prix

Give it to kongo. If not kongo gets first challenge against the new champion.

Big brass balls on the guy. Instant fan. He's a wee nerdy looking guy my weight who is looking to throw leather with meathead! What a guy. Would hope for him more if they could get him a Minowaman red speedo! I'd consider him the official 2nd superhluk champion in history. He would beat Sonnen head to head for sure.

In what scenario would Rory have even been considered?

- He's a Welterweight (pretty obvious)
- He has a title fight against Douglas Lima next year
- There are other fighters at Heavyweight that deserve those reserve spots.
- If a Welterweight wins your fucking Heavyweight tournament, that will make your whole division look bad.

Not saying I don't want it to happen, but if anyone expects this, they're obviously new to MMA.

Or are fans from the 90s like me.

This is effectively an OW tourney under the guise of a HW tourney. I like it. Throw in whoever they want.

What if he won and they had 170 pounder as the heavyweight champ? Lol. Bellator won’t let him because the HW title would be a joke at that point. Lose lose for bellator.

Rory vs Mitrione for GP final. Lets make it a freak show!

Would he do that bad? Some plodding overweight guys like Rampage or Nelson he might be able to use his speed and kicks. Sonnen he would beat, we saw Fedor near finished by Maldonado... I don't think he would be totally out of his depth with some of these guys. Mir and meathead might just be too big though.

Would he do that bad? Some plodding overweight guys like Rampage or Nelson he might be able to use his speed and kicks. Sonnen he would beat, we saw Fedor near finished by Maldonado... I don't think he would be totally out of his depth with some of these guys. Mir and meathead might just be too big though.
He is like an in shape Fedor.

63036939bf000d6907e8b94571442228

And when you consider Shields was rag dolling Hendo, who KO'd Fedor, I just don't think there is that much difference between modern WW's and old school HW's. Meathead would be way too big tho, but Id still watch.

Sorry, I like Rory but I don't believe he would really enter this tournament.

He was just replying somebody on Twitter.

Sounds like he was not being serious.

The alternate is the best spot to take. It's highly likely someone pulls out Mid tourney. You essentially move ahead in the tournament without fighting.

See OSP vs. Okami. Not a good idea for a WW to fight big LHWs and HWs, Rory. And yes, I know Rory is a better fighter than Okami, especially at this point in Okami's career.

Logical alternates would be Phil Davis, Kongo, Bobby Lashley, Sergei, etc. Throw in Tito if you want to keep with the spirit of old guys. Of course Kongo is like 42 as well, and Lashley must be 40 by now.

Back