Ronda Jean Rousey, A Victim Of Her Own Success And Volition

Ronda's fall from grace reminds me the classic Greek myth of Icarus and the Sun. Icarus, who flew to the sun on wings made of feathers and wax, flew too close and the the wings melted and Icarus fell to his death.

Rousey steamrolled the competition and with the massive push from the UFC hype machine, she flew into MMA/UFC and mainstream stardom. During her rise to champion from Strikeforce to the UFC, she went from a bright eyed humble young woman to a hard loud mouthed champion with an opinion on everything with an agrressive domineering attitude to anyone and everyone.

She stayed the course, flying on wings of self delusion that her boxing was as good as her judo. During her last year as champion, Rousey became the most insufferable in my opinion, and her less than stellar behavior displayed itself during fight week and the weigh ins with Holly Holm.

Holly Holm melted those wings and Rousey came crashing down to Earth and reality hit her worse than any of Holly's head kicks. That head kick not only shattered that arrogant and obnoxious persona, but it also destroyed her aura of invincibility and Rousey's self confidence.

In a way I want Rousey to comeback, mainly to see her get her ass kicked in by Nunes or by Holly again, but I'm pretty sure she's done. I think she's lost her taste for fighting and I don't think she can mentally handle another loss, should that happen again.
Beautiful words my sherbro.

Hope she comes back and wins the belt back. I don´t know why really. I miss her, i miss Jones, FFS JUST COME BACK!! *crying in bed

Ronda said BEFORE the Holly fight that she was going to take a very long break from fighting so everybody learned to miss her! We now have whopping 9 months and 13 days and Sherdog has already been crying for half a year about why she doesn't come back...

Ronda's fall from grace reminds me the classic Greek myth of Icarus and the Sun. Icarus, who flew to the sun on wings made of feathers and wax, flew too close and the the wings melted and Icarus fell to his death.

Rousey steamrolled the competition and with the massive push from the UFC hype machine, she flew into MMA/UFC and mainstream stardom. During her rise to champion from Strikeforce to the UFC, she went from a bright eyed humble young woman to a hard loud mouthed champion with an opinion on everything with an agrressive domineering attitude to anyone and everyone.

She stayed the course, flying on wings of self delusion that her boxing was as good as her judo. During her last year as champion, Rousey became the most insufferable in my opinion, and her less than stellar behavior displayed itself during fight week and the weigh ins with Holly Holm.

Holly Holm melted those wings and Rousey came crashing down to Earth and reality hit her worse than any of Holly's head kicks. That head kick not only shattered that arrogant and obnoxious persona, but it also destroyed her aura of invincibility and Rousey's self confidence.

In a way I want Rousey to comeback, mainly to see her get her ass kicked in by Nunes or by Holly again, but I'm pretty sure she's done. I think she's lost her taste for fighting and I don't think she can mentally handle another loss, should that happen again.

I think most people now agree.

This is the truth. Most fighters are going to have some gaps in their skills, it's very difficult for them be highly skilled in all areas. WMMA is making some great strides in skills growth. I can't say for certain that Ronda was over confident in her striking, only Ronda knows that. Holly was able to implement a gameplan that worked well against Ronda's lack of skill in striking, just as other fighters have done to Holly in both her striking and ground game.

MMA is sometimes about more than just being dominant in one arena. A good strategy can nullify that. Ronda's an amazing fighter even if I don't agree with her personality. Hopefully she can add to what she has and come back stronger. After all, she is largely responsible for it's growth in the first place.

Holly didn't appear to do anything different in the Ronda fight than she's done in every other fight. Ronda did exactly what she's always done too. That leads me to believe Ronda thought her striking was on on par with Holly's and she could knock her out. It was a huge miscalculation and a much needed lesson for Ronda to start game planning for specific opponents and not to take anyone lightly.

Sure, sure. She overlooked Holm and she got her head kicked in. She should overlook Pena too.

What's Pena going to do? Out wrestle her or out grapple her? She sure the fuck isn't going to stand with her so the safe bet is she loses to Ronda if it hits the ground. Ronda didn't overlook Holly. She over estimated her own striking. It was a lesson learned and now she'll come back stronger for it.

What's Pena going to do? Out wrestle her or out grapple her? She sure the fuck isn't going to stand with her so the safe bet is she loses to Ronda if it hits the ground. Ronda didn't overlook Holly. She over estimated her own striking. It was a lesson learned and now she'll come back stronger for it.

lol You make it sound like its a foregone conclusion. That's why they play the game.

This thread is new and exciting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mapichtli
Back