Roman Boxing "Gloves" Found

interesting, i always thought they just had handwrap like things.

That's really interesting. Can even see the guy's knuckle marks still in the wraps. Hey @Seano they found your first pair of childhood boxing gloves down at Hadrian's Wall.

interesting, i always thought they just had handwrap like things.
They are basically. Only cover the knuckles. Pretty cool, though.

5097.jpg

Cool article. Thanks for sharing. Savage first ever post btw.

Nice find that was an interesting read. Seems like the Romans were very into their boxing.

Not sure about this, they have put a picture up of a mocked up version of the 'gloves' on a fucking dummy, i bet the real find was a few leather straps which could have been used for anything

It also makes me ask the question, why would anyone have been buried/died with gloves for fighting on?

They may just have found some bits of leather and tried to make a story of it

I can't imagine how marked the faces would get after each fight...

Great article.

I feel like Antonio Margarito used the same cement wraps.

The dude in my Avatar:
Greek sculpture called "Boxer At Rest"

boxer4and5.jpg

"A cestus or caestus is an ancient battle glove, sometimes used in pankration. They were worn like today's boxing gloves, but were made with leather strips and sometimes filled with iron plates or fitted with blades or spikes, and used as weapons." some gladiators would use them too i guess
deadliestwarrior_main.jpg Protection of the hands for combat.jpeg

I can't imagine how marked the faces would get after each fight...
i watched a docu on rome, they had all kinds of spectacles to keep the masses entertained, fights to the death, man against lions, just anything to entertain a crowd, and once it got to a depraved point of where they had virgins being raped by apes or monkeys or something, they said Rome, overnight just flip flopped and got rid of all of it. It's kind of like people if you think about it, the most hardcore christians are always these people who used to suck ten dicks in a row or do all kinds of drugs or hang out with killers.

i watched a docu on rome, they had all kinds of spectacles to keep the masses entertained, fights to the death, man against lions, just anything to entertain a crowd, and once it got to a depraved point of where they had virgins being raped by apes or monkeys or something, they said Rome, overnight just flip flopped and got rid of all of it. It's kind of like people if you think about it, the most hardcore christians are always these people who used to suck ten dicks in a row or do all kinds of drugs or hang out with killers.

damn whats that doc called?

I don't know, I got it on dvd with a bundle of docus on a bunch of different civilizations of the past, pretty interesting.

Back