Rolling on grass...has anyone tried it?

nah its bad for your skin/body..... But if you dont mind bugs, grass stains, infection, then go for it.

I've done it several times i actually get way to focused on beating the other guy so the ground being to hard isent much of a problem, although i got suplexed by a wrestler friend of mine and landed on my shoulder witch hurted as hell, i went for doublelegs all the time after that

Usually at parties its a given someone is gonna start rolling around on the lawn, usually its about six or seven beers in, but I prefer to watch rather than actively participate.

canvas tarps staked down with tent pegs. Less itchy. Babes don't get the whole fighting aspect of rolling, they think it's some weird male bonding thing, but they'll come around, get them to put you in their guard, the babes of course, and then show them the triangle, it's awesome when they have bikinis on. They'll like BJJ then!

In Army combatives we train alot outsie on the grass. Worse come mid summer all the grass turns dry and brown you are rolling mostly on dead grass and dirt. Its harder, if you dont shower afterwards you get itchy. But it is a great training tool for realistic training.

Face it. the ground is hard. You dont want to be thrown, and if possible you always want to stay on top. Realistic training adds alot to your personal self defense. However for sports sub wrestling it doesnt add to much. During some times in the summer its kinda like working out in a sauna so be carefull.

Also have worked alot on sand. I find it worse at times on the beach becasue the sand and sweat miz together and cause rashes where our triceps and armpits rub.

grass-stain-o-rama i'd think. i'll stick to the mat.

I am a carpenter and a friend of mine and I worked on the same job last year and we did MMA type and mostly self defence training on every thing we could think of. Grass/dirt/gravel piles/plywood floors/in the back of trucks[not moving tho]/ and no floor joist before plywood was put on[about all you can do there is punch each other there]/and on concrete.

I recomend training on all kinds of surfaces in all kinds of weather and clothing, it really opens up your mind to the real possibilities of a real fight and is interesting and alot of laughs.

Some of our findings; compare to your findings

1 grass itches
2 with work boots on its hard to escape foot locks
3 work jackets are a choke looking for a place to happen
4 throws on a hill are often spectacular
5 you must be mat tough first, throws hurt on the hard surfaces
6 freaks out your co-workers, but there really nice to you from then on.

In all seriousness, we train at a well known academy with 10 pro fighters and have competed ourselves and have trained 10 years pluss. If you have trained with punches you know how that will effect how you play in your guard, this will open your eyes to a whole new world and how you look at a fight. Really adds a sence of urgency to consider your stradegy!

In keeping with the thread, sure is nice to train outside in the fresh air, even if the grass itches!

last year when I couldn't get into class id invtie one of my freinds over and we'd roll on the lawn. Only pain in the ass was there was a steep ass hill, and i can remeber quite a few times getting mount right by the hill and then pretty much losing my balance and get tossed down the hill...makes for a good scramble tho.

Man, what the fck is this fairyland? Afraid of getting a grasshoper up your ass or getting your cloths dirty? I mean WTF, sure rolling on the grass is awesome just make sure you remove all rocks/sticks and what not. However I do not know about rolling in Central Park, few guys rolling around on the ground with eachother in a public place and you're liable to get taken to the rubber room.

I have before, don't do it anymore. The grass really irritates the skin, but it is something you can put up with if you can only train on grass.

If you're worried about rolling on grass how the fuck do you think you're going to react if you get in a fight in a parking lot?

i do it all the time since we aint got anything better it doesnt hurt at all. only prob is grass stains.

do grass stains come out of a white gi? Also, I heard that bleaching a gi makes the fabric weaker.

migo said:
If you're worried about rolling on grass how the fuck do you think you're going to react if you get in a fight in a parking lot?

Fighting and rolling are a different matter.

But if you want realistic training, get 5 of your friends to arm up with trolley poles and jump you in a carpark. I've heard of people who have done this, trained probably self defense scenarios (used rolled up newspapers instead of trolley poles).

Back