Rock/Climbing wall build

equus

Horse Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
just curious. have any of you guys built or have friends who have made a small version of a climbing wall in their garages or freestanding outside? i have a friend who built a pretty cool one in their second floor attic area and ive thought about doing it in our garage on one wall.

any experiences?

No but used to climb alot. I think its just 1" think plywood cut down to 3' or 32" squares. Mount a dozen threaded screw mounts in each panel for holds. screw each panel to the wall studs at 6 inch spacing.

Overbuild how its attached to the walls. A 200 lb person climbing is a dynamic load.

An 8 foot garage isn't enough to climb though. You can't really start seated.

No but used to climb alot. I think its just 1" think plywood cut down to 3' or 32" squares. Mount a dozen threaded screw mounts in each panel for holds. screw each panel to the wall studs at 6 inch spacing.

Overbuild how its attached to the walls. A 200 lb person climbing is a dynamic load.

An 8 foot garage isn't enough to climb though. You can't really start seated.
yeah, talking a higher garage ceiling. its 10 foot. but we have crash pads and kids enjoy climbing alot so theyd use it mostly. the wife too.

lol. we go to an ibex gym. im not trying to build a commercial grade wall in my garage. i was just asking if anyone had ever done anything similar.

lol. we go to an ibex gym. im not trying to build a commercial grade wall in my garage. i was just asking if anyone had ever done anything similar.

Then use a tree in your yard.

Back