RIZIN to cooperate with ROAD FC

Pyreen

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
From Sakakibara's twitter:

The message basically says that ROAD and RIZIN are comitted to an active "exchange" (probably of talent and promotional channels) and to stay tuned for more more upcoming announcements.

While I cant really think of must-see crossover matches between the two, I do think it's an interesting development considering the potential of the Korean MMA market, as well as what this means in relation to ONE and the rest of the (south east) asian scene, which doesnt have (or want) any ties with either of the two.

Edit: English:

Last edited:
Great to hear they will be working closely together.

There could be a lot of interesting fights to make in the lower weights between the two, just all depends on how deep the exchange will go. Any mixture of Soo Chul Kim, Min Woo Kim, or Yoon Jun Lee once he is able to return vs Horiguchi, Motoya, Wada, Kai, the Chute Boxe guys, or Tokoro would be interesting.

This could help ROAD with the 2 events in Japan they have planned for this year and RIZIN could maybe gain something from ROAD's connections in China and obviously Korea. RIZIN could also maybe get a few of the ROAD XX fighters for their women's GP.

Road Fc has been part of Rizin's federation since event one, but it is great to see there is still a partnership. Sakakibara is going to Road Fc XX event this weekend that will have mostly women's fights. Maybe RoadFc will send a fighter for Rena or for the women's tournament starting in July. Or just maybe we get Hong Man Choi vs Baruto superfight. <{danawhoah}>

Yeah, I thought Road FC was already partnered with Rizin.

There's a picture of their flag from an event last year, on the top right.

2016_Rizin-05-1024x576.jpg

They were in partnership but it was very minimal, ROAD provided Soo Chul Kim for RIZIN's debut event, I guess you could count Shinji Sasaki as someone ROAD lent though I don't think he was officially representing them, and Hyun Man Myung for the Openweight GP but not really anything beyond that. This sounds like they plan on working together to a greater extent.

This is great news. Road FC have some excellent lower weight prospects. Opens the possibility of matching them with some of Bellators guys.

There could be a lot of interesting fights to make in the lower weights between the two, just all depends on how deep the exchange will go. Any mixture of Soo Chul Kim, Min Woo Kim, or Yoon Jun Lee once he is able to return vs Horiguchi, Motoya, Wada, Kai, the Chute Boxe guys, or Tokoro would be interesting.

This could help ROAD with the 2 events in Japan they have planned for this year and RIZIN could maybe gain something from ROAD's connections in China and obviously Korea. RIZIN could also maybe get a few of the ROAD XX fighters for their women's GP.

Yeah, those are the kind of matches I'ld expect. It definitely makes sense for RIZIN to broaden their cooperations now that they're starting to slowly increase the volume of their shows. Ditto for ROAD. I expect to see a few RIZIN guys compete at the Japanese ROAD shows. Im also pretty sure that Sakakibara wont touch China with a ten foot pole. It's such an inscrutable, closed off and impenetrable market as is, and RIZIN has (rightfully) been extremely conservative when it comes to expansion so far. I mean it took them over a year to add a fifth show on their home turf.

Road Fc has been part of Rizin's federation since event one, but it is great to see there is still a partnership.

They were in partnership but it was very minimal

Yeah they have been a part of the RIZIN "network" from day one but in a very limited role, basically all they did was not bar their fighters from fighting for RIZIN (kinda like RINGS Lithuania, Lady's Fight Night et. al.). This new announcement sounds like something more substantial along the lines of what Asurah said.

ROAD wouldnt mind some help with kickstarting their XX spin off, and a solid name like Murata (who has been very active in different promotions in the past) or even Miyuu would be really helpful to them in trying to get a foothold in Japan.

Maybe we are going to watch some trials to that 32 man GP in Rizin

active exchange? hopefully that means more than Ishii in bellator, and mo and ward in Rizin lol

this is great news Jung Mun-hong can maybe tutor sakakibara on the art of mma promoting

Stop me if we haven't heard this 1,000 times from JMMA orgs working with other orgs. Doesn't ever seem to go anywhere or bear any real fruit. At best we get a one off match or two and usually it falls on deaf ears.

Stop me if we haven't heard this 1,000 times from JMMA orgs working with other orgs. Doesn't ever seem to go anywhere or bear any real fruit. At best we get a one off match or two and usually it falls on deaf ears.
I'll agree. I have yet to see membership in the "Rizin Federation" benefit it's members. At best, it gives a few fighters fights in Rizin.

This is a wait and see thing for me.

I'll agree. I have yet to see membership in the "Rizin Federation" benefit it's members. At best, it gives a few fighters fights in Rizin.

This is a wait and see thing for me.

- Rizin has a weekly FujiiTV MMA show and social media reach to promote other regional promotions. The last Deep Jewels and other shows have been profiled during show which helps the live gate.

All these things I've mentioned cannot be solely contributed to Rizin, but all these promotions are part of the federation. Fans used to look and wait for events highlights, now most of the top level organization are available live. Fight Pass also streams Shooto Japan and Pancrase.

- K-1 Japan is going to have shows at Super Saitama Arena Convention Hall which is a larger venue than they typically use. I didn't notice K-1 Japan before Rizin shows with Takeru and Hiroya. The stream on Abema peaked at 1 million viewers during Takeru's last fight.

- Pancrase got on television, instead of live streaming. Their card quality also improved greatly, but the promotion was trending upward before NYE 2015.

- Shoot Boxing established a streaming service after having Rena and Souwer on multiple shows.

- Deep also created their own streaming service.

All these JMMA items happened in 2016

Yeah, I think you're giving Rizin too much credit for those happenings.

Back