Rizin both nostalgic and sad at the same time.

I agree with alot of what you said except for the legends. This is mirkos last hurrah and he has some fight in him.
And wanderlei fighting in Japan again is nothing short of awesome and I don't see how an mma fan wouldnt be dying to see it. A big chunk of his arsenal is removed in the ufc and it' makes for a totally different fighter.

The only thing I dont like about it is then watching the ufc it's a totally watered down product.
So many ways to stop a fight or prevent a position is just gone and it makes mma look like a joke with such a silly ruleset.
You can even touch the floor with a finger and be safe.
"Hey he hit me! I'm on base!"

Some really good points in OP and in this thread

I have been watching Pride FC since around the time Saku and Royce fought the first time. The first PPV I ever actually ordered was Fedor vs Cro Cop. Pride was my favorite org.The presentation, the skill level of the fighters, the global- worldly feel, the rivalries, the stroylines, the personalities, the rules, the ring, the sprinkled in freakshow matches to keep things fun and interesting etc.

Watching Rizin last night was nostalgic and entertaining but at the same time you could also feel that current state of JMMA is quite sad in terms of talent and skill level. The presentation and production value were not bad, you could feel the effort and it wasn't much worse than what Pride was doing in its heyday. The lights, the stage, the introduction etc. Definitely gave that old Pride-o feel it just sucks that all it could be matched with in terms of talent was regional level skill level of fighters.

Seeing the Pride rules in effect and fully exercised by the fighters was awesome. Watching fighters go for kicks and knees to downed opponents definitely took me back to the god old days but the skills of the fighters didnt match the rules and presentation. Sure, in the old days Pride had its share of freakshows, mismatches and circus fights but they didnt feel so dominant on the card. Id say it felt more like they were just sprinkled on already great cards where the best were fighting the best.

-The Gabi Garcia fight was an absolute freakshow, mismatch of low skilled fighters for the sake of what exactly? Entertainment, I suppose. Definitely not a good look IMO.

-The Murata fight with terrible striking and poor grappling. Size disadvantage and just regional level skill at best if not worse. That Kimura attempt was white belt level and novice to say the least.

That Kimura kid who came out dancing to the Lombada and Wand's prehistoric sandstorm theme only to get KTFO by Krazy Horse in seconds. How did they let a kid fight a guy with 50 fights in his professional debut??? Id be lying if I said seeing all this didnt make me somewhat sad to see.

The Fujita and Baruto fight was boring as well and sad to watch.

Brain damaged Wand and Mirko agreeing to fight in December was sad to see as well. Like there is no new talent to build the event on. Just old, brain damaged legends who should be thinking of retiring soon. It was all just sad to see for someone who was around to see how mega JMMA once was.

If Pride FC was WANDERLEI SILVA, Rizin would be that Chute Boxe fighter named Fabio Silva who looked like Wand, talked like Wand, walked like Wand, and smelled like Wand and even had the same last name but ended up being a sad wannabe who got clobbered to death in can fashion.

maxresdefault.jpg

The pic below is what JMMA once was: the best fighters in the world, fighting under the most exciting rulesset in a ring in japan in front of 50k crowds on cards sprinkled with some freakshows to keep things exciting.
0233c7153af7b8b633256a5d00cf7888.png

What Rizin offers is Pride FC presentation and production value but piggybacked on a few brain damaged legends, some japanese wrestlers for tv ratings, some regional level fighters and some freakshows. I guess you have to start somewhere and thats what they are doing and seeing it was nostalgic and fun but Id be lying if I said it wasnt also sad.

Overall I appreciate Rizin and their efforts to revive JMMA but with the way the sport has been monopolized I dont know if they will ever be able to acquire the talent that they once had in Japan to match their presentation and production. You cant have such high level presentation with regional level fighters. It just wont work.

Does the lack of talent bother you? Or are you just happy to watch mixfight from a different scope like we saw with Rizin last night? For me Rizin will be OK but I dont think it will ever reach the level that Pride was once at.

So they don't have Pride level talent when they've had their like 3rd event? Shocking. I thought it was actually pretty good. The OW tournament isn't amazing but it has some good prospects and some known vets. Fujita did not too bad in his last fight, I thought it was going to go to overtime before Baruto had a nice late push. I missed a few of the fights but overall I enjoyed it.

So they don't have Pride level talent when they've had their like 3rd event? Shocking. I thought it was actually pretty good. The OW tournament isn't amazing but it has some good prospects and some known vets. Fujita did not too bad in his last fight, I thought it was going to go to overtime before Baruto had a nice late push. I missed a few of the fights but overall I enjoyed it.

I totally understand this and will watch regardless. I guess this thread was more about it being somewhat bittersweet.

Pride used to be mega. Crowds of 60k people. The best fighters from all over the world.

ap_090911089838_sq-3271237f28995f6530d9634ff27228cae88e3440-s900-c85.jpg

TS has very valid points but I love Rizin and for only being on their third event, I think they are doing great.

I think the 'old' legends are necessary to grow the viewership while the younger talent develops into prime level.

Also, I actually think their womens division may turn into their strong point sooner than the other divisions. Rena is doing great, Gabi surprisingly improved 100% since her last fight, Murata and Yamamoto have a very strong wrestling foundation, and with another year or two of MMA training will be outstanding.

Uhm TS, do you really like that Kimura Minoru is a legitimate top 10 featherweight kickboxer in the world lol.
This match up is actually a stage for Minoru to ktfo old Crazy Horse and become a superstar but it backfired hard.

It is only sad when fighters past their expiry date beat the new guard.

Name guys like Wanderlei Silva and Cro Cop should be matched up not against one another but against the future of JMMA. Sadly, I don't see any fighters that are worth caring about if they were to beat the aforementioned legends of the sport.

Back