Rise of Shane Carwin

Brutal fight
249bc5958379d197dab709fe37015425c4d16667.gif

I think Mir lost 10 IQ points in this gif alone

he was done at like the 1:30 second mark. lol then he like woke up to get k.o. a second time

I was at a bar with my girlfriend when Mir-Carwin came on. She knew I was into MMA but hadnt seen any yet. She was understandably horrified.

I explained that it was a late stoppage and wasn't usually like that. A terrible first fight to show someone.

The first fight my current girlfriend saw was Woodley-Wonderboy 2. It had the opposite problem....not enough violence.

He probably should have been champ when you look at the stoppage he got against Neil Wain but I do think he was favoured by circumstance besides that.

It was amusing to hear Goldberg starting to talk about Carwins head movement in a positive light just before the KO when its pretty much nonexistant. That clip should also remind us that he was rocked almost instantly by Gonzaga as well plsu exploited Mir's weakness to being clinched and beaten on.

Against a quality striker with decent takedown defence Carwin was just waaaaay to hittable to have an amazing long term run. You could say I spose that he might have been a tough matchup for Cain, hittable still but also with more potential to land himself.

he was done at like the 1:30 second mark. lol then he like woke up to get k.o. a second time
The ref just wanted to make sure the first KO wasn't a fluke
<{JustBleed}>

He probably should have been champ when you look at the stoppage he got against Neil Wain but I do think he was favoured by circumstance besides that.

It was amusing to hear Goldberg starting to talk about Carwins head movement in a positive light just before the KO when its pretty much nonexistant. That clip should also remind us that he was rocked almost instantly by Gonzaga as well plsu exploited Mir's weakness to being clinched and beaten on.

Against a quality striker with decent takedown defence Carwin was just waaaaay to hittable to have an amazing long term run. You could say I spose that he might have been a tough matchup for Cain, hittable still but also with more potential to land himself.

Overeem would of wrecked him. JDS did to, but he realistic should of been HW champ if he fought brock smart, then he would of made a title defense or 2x until cain was ready a year later

credit goes to /r/mma

I remember watching him fight Frank Mir and was pretty pissed at Dan for letting it go that long. Frank Mir has always been my favorite heavyweight and I was legit pissed watching this happen.

I miss Carwin, idc if he was on the juice.

edit; I'm not sure why the embed isn't working right now.

if a mod can fix it, please do

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/7jji4z/the_rise_of_shane_carwin/

That was a great highlight video, I forgot how close that Gonzaga fight was until Carwin knocked him out.

Carwin had devastating knock out power. He was putting people to sleep with straights.

He was without a doubt juicing that entire time, there is no way a full-time engineer who trains part-time has lethal hands like that.

The rise of Lesnar and Carwin at the time had everyone thinking that the HW division was in a "super heavyweight" stage, where you had to be massive to be competitive.

This caused guys like Frank Mir to completely change their bodies (and juice). This lasted until Cain came in and fucked everyone up with endurance and relentlessness.

The end of Carwin:

sv6ey0.gif

countdown-to-ufc-200-the-brock-lesnar-era_588464_OpenGraphImage.jpg

The first fight my current girlfriend saw was Woodley-Wonderboy 2. It had the opposite problem....not enough violence.

First thing of MMA I showed my ex was a fedor highlight and she liked it even though she hated boxing and contact sports in general. Chicks dig that russian teddybear.

If Lesnar hadn't beaten him, JDS did and so would Cain. Still, Carwin was a fun fighter. It was a pretty good period at HW with a healthy Cain, a prime JDS (before Cain aged him by 10 years), Lesnar, Carwin, Mir, etc.
It wasn't just losing to Lesnar, it was HOW he lost. I don't think I've ever experienced such a huge disappointment in a fight before or since.

And I was a Brandon Vera fan.

Shane was the most physical imposing HW i've ever seen in MMA, maybe just after Sapp...

Dude was a freak but also got ton of heart was rooting for him vs Lesnar, and his heart has been crazy vs JDS

But tbh it's also true dude literally changed shape after he stepped into UFC/stricter controls

before
19437.jpg

after
shane-carwin-poses-for-a-portrait-on-may-10-2011-in-las-vegas-nevada-picture-id152226824

That was a great highlight video, I forgot how close that Gonzaga fight was until Carwin knocked him out.

Carwin had devastating knock out power. He was putting people to sleep with straights.

The end of Carwin:

the real end of carwin, jds beat the breaks off him. Bad

Junior_dos_Santos_vs_ShaneCarwin_1000160.jpg

dos-Santos-vs-Carwin_0127.jpg

1st round Carwin was a beast. Too bad all those years of heightning messed him up. Seriously though, one scary mofo.

Shane was the most physical imposing HW i've ever seen in MMA, maybe just after Sapp...

Dude was a freak but also got ton of heart was rooting for him vs Lesnar, and his heart has been crazy vs JDS

But tbh it's also true dude literally changed shape after he stepped into UFC/stricter controls

before
19437.jpg

after
shane-carwin-poses-for-a-portrait-on-may-10-2011-in-las-vegas-nevada-picture-id152226824
wow. that's a big difference for sure. he actually looks pretty weak (by comparison) in the second pic.

I was at a bar with my girlfriend when Mir-Carwin came on. She knew I was into MMA but hadnt seen any yet. She was understandably horrified.

I explained that it was a late stoppage and wasn't usually like that. A terrible first fight to show someone.
I feel awful just reading that. Poor girl

I was so shocked that he derailed the Christian Wellisch hype train. Man, that guy was gonna be special.

Back