Right wingers/Conservatives: would opposition to Israel change your view of the Democratic Party?

Trotsky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As of January 2018, about 73-79% of Republicans affirmatively support Israel over Palestine, while only 6-11% primarily sympathize with and support Palestinians.

Among Democrats, 27-31% affirmatively support Israel, while 27-31% primarily sympathize with and support Palestinians.

Like most policy issues, these partisan difference represent a stark departure from very comparable percentages c. 1970. That is, like issues of taxation and race relations, Democrats and Republicans were similarly divided in the past, but are now increasingly polarized.

http://www.people-press.org/2018/01...urther-apart-in-views-of-israel-palestinians/
https://www.timesofisrael.com/74-republicans-33-democrats-back-israel-over-palestinians-poll/
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-the-gop-became-a-pro-israel-party/

The polarization has, of late, more noticeably affected the Democratic Party. While support for Israel and disdain for Palestine has been steadily creeping up for Republicans since 1980 and have only slightly increased in yearly gains during the Obama administration (which the right-wing American media framed as anti-Israel and by extension anti-American), the attitudes of Democrats have undergone more recent changes. As new-wave libertarian Democrats, headed ironically by Jewish-American lawmaker Bernie Sanders, have entered the political fray, opposition to Israeli occupation has not only become a burgeoning issue, but has also become an increasingly important litmus test for the morality of Democratic lawmakers.

However, it's unknown how this developing opposition to Israel and solidarity with Palestine will affect the party electorally. Specifically, this is because (a) Jewish Americans tend to support Israel and also tend to vote Democrat, and (b) a new wave of antisemitic rhetoric has taken hold in the grassroots of the American right and Holocaust denial and conspiracy theories over Israeli/Jewish economic control has become a bit more prevalent.

So, my question to American centrists and conservatives, and particularly young members of the right-wing, how does a Democratic rejection of Israeli hegemony affect, if at all, your opinion of the party?

Last edited:
Well, I'm not a Republican, but if the Democratic Party came out strongly against the occupation I would view it very favorably.

Yes. I would totally let them rob me of my hard earned money and crap all over my constitutional rights if they did that.

Yes. I would totally let them rob me of my hard earned money and crap all over my constitutional rights if they did that.

So you prefer a huge deficit, and a party that craps all over your constitutional rights?

As to the op, I have an issue with Isreali occupation, but it lands on my list of things I care about, somewhere between food stamp waste, and the occupation of Tibet.

My issue with Isreali has to do with the Isreali lobby, and as much as I like bernie, i think he lacks political courage on this issue.

Way to really set the bar low for the rest of the replies.

Also, just LOL @ your knowledge of civil liberties in this country's past century. I'm guessing you have a 2nd Amendment bumper sticker and don't even know what the 1st, 4th, 6th, and 8th Amendments entail, since Democrats and the liberal part of the Supreme Court have been MUCH, much more protective of them than the GOP/conservatives.

As of January 2018, about 73-79% of Republicans affirmatively support Israel over Palestine, while only 6-11% primarily sympathize with and support Palestinians.

Among Democrats, 27-31% affirmatively support Israel, while 27-31% primarily sympathize with and support Palestinians.

Like most policy issues, these partisan difference represent a stark departure from very comparable percentages c. 1970. That is, like issues of taxation and race relations, Democrats and Republicans were similarly divided in the past, but are now increasingly polarized.

http://www.people-press.org/2018/01...urther-apart-in-views-of-israel-palestinians/
https://www.timesofisrael.com/74-republicans-33-democrats-back-israel-over-palestinians-poll/
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-the-gop-became-a-pro-israel-party/

The polarization has, of late, more noticeably affected the Democratic Party. While support for Israel and disdain for Palestine has been steadily creeping up for Republicans since 1980 and have only slightly increased in yearly gains during the Obama administration (which the right-wing American media framed as anti-Israel and by extension anti-American), the attitudes of Democrats have undergone more recent changes. As new-wave libertarian Democrats, headed ironically by Jewish-American lawmaker Bernie Sanders, have entered the political fray, opposition to Israeli occupation has not only become a burgeoning issue, but has also become an increasingly important litmus test for the morality of Democratic lawmakers.

However, it's unknown how this developing opposition to Israel and solidarity with Palestine will affect the party electorally. Specifically, this is because (a) Jewish Americans tend to support Israel and also tend to vote Democrat, and (b) a new wave of antisemitic rhetoric has taken hold in the grassroots of the American right and Holocaust denial and conspiracy theories over Israeli/Jewish economic control has become a bit more prevalent.

So, my question to American centrists and conservatives, and particularly young members of the right-wing, how does a Democratic rejection of Israeli hegemony affect, if at all, your opinion of the party?
not who you're asking, but, given the ~40% gap on the left between "not supporting israel" and "sympathizing with palestinians," I think a fair amount of the current dem non-support for israel would be tempered if they hadn't had a sharply right-wing government for the last decade or so.

I miss classic liberals. They've morphed into something that is anything but.

Classical liberals haven't existed in American electoral politics at any point. Certainly not in modern America.

The liberalism that exists now is the exact liberalism that protected all of those rights 1933-present. In fact, 2018 Democrats are closer to 1933-1980 Democrats than they have been in forty years. The liberals are the ones protecting you from surveillance overreach and abuses by police. The Republicans are the ones wanting to gut oversight of public office, privatize public services, flood political office with billions in private money, undercut procedural rights to due process, and defang supervision of police forces.

So, yeah, you don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Classical liberals haven't existed in American electoral politics at any point. Certainly not in modern America.

The liberalism that exists now is the exact liberalism that protected all of those rights 1933-present. In fact, 2018 Democrats are closer to 1933-1980 Democrats than they have been in forty years.

So, yeah, you don't know what you're talking about.
Dave Rubin out here collecting Prager money and Koch cheque whining about sjw college kids!

Free and open exchanges y’all.

There is a lot that the democratic party has to overcome:
Anti-family, pro abortion, anti military, anti cop, anti Christian, higher taxes, more regulation, anti American, anti working class....just to name a few.

Me not liking one party over another has nothing to do with their stance on 3rd world hellholes.

That's just me tho.

Anti-family, pro abortion, anti military, anti cop, anti Christian, higher taxes, more regulation, anti American, anti working class....just to name a few.
Yes, the idiocy of people like you is certainly a lot to overcome. Being allergic to facts is another epidemic we should be looking at, along with the opiod epidemic.

Yes, the idiocy of people like you is certainly a lot to overcome. Being allergic to facts is another epidemic we should be looking at, along with the opiod epidemic.
Care to share some wisdom and change my mind on the issues that I mentioned? You must have superior facts then as you claim.

<36>

Holy hell, you are not a smart person.

Maybe check out how much the Clinton and Obama administrations did for labor and employment rights of workers. They, especially Obama, did more for workers than any President since Truman. In one year, Trump board has already reversed a ton of Obama board rulings protecting workers from being fired without cause, punished for trying unionize, and being laid off to relocate manufacturing abroad.

Anytime a poster says that the Democrats are "anti working class" or that the Republicans are not, they immediately lose all credibility, even assuming as true your other (slightly less asinine) anti's.

What was this supposed to prove? He continued, although he did make modest reductions to, existing policy from Republicans. Everything in the NSA "scandal" was clearly legal to anyone who read the PATRIOT Act. You won't hear any argument from me that Obama was a massive disappointment in the area of surveillance, but as a whole Democrats have been much more attune to bolstering oversight of surveillance and protecting due process rights. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/11/us/politics/fisa-surveillance-congress-trump.html

Back