Rickson Gracie: Modern BJJ Black Belts Remind Me of Karate Practitioners Clueless of Jiu-Jitsu

Jesus

the comments in this thread are embarassing

Most of you have never trained jiu jitsu or know the first thing about it

literally stfu

at least they don't make up ridiculous fake records.

can't stand the gracie's.

It all goes back to Rickson talking shit about top fighters back in 04-06 "How (PRIME) Fedor's nothing special" , "He'd beat (PRIME) Fedor in mma", "(PRIME) Big Nog has no guard" ETC. Even Wand stated about Rickson "Rickson is living in a fantasy world, like Star Wars."

I don't think that warrants this kind of disrespect. A lot of fighters have this competitive mindset. The gracies are notoriously arrogant about their game.

But i'm saying he deserves respect based on his accomplishments. There is no denying how great he was.

I look forward to Kron getting his ass beat in the major leagues using outdated technologies.
kron's easily the most open minded out of pure practitioners.

so is Rickson actually for as oldschool as he is

They are nothing like the other gracies

He isn't saying jiu jitsu is the only way

just that being a bjj black belt often doesn't carry the weight that it once did

Last edited:
He mad that McDojo's hand out blackbelts and make more money than his gym.

Wasn't there a Gracie McDojo where you can earn belts by watching video's online?

It's sad really to see black belts not even attempting to use BJJ anymore and just slugging it out on the feet...The one tweak any pro MMA fighter should have is using the Hubber Guard...Boggles my mind how many people still have no clue about it..At a minimum it will keep you from getting your face smashed in long enough to catch your breath...Ferguson and a few others use it but overall it's still rare to see in the UFC

He mad that McDojo's hand out blackbelts and make more money than his gym.

Wasn't there a Gracie McDojo where you can earn belts by watching video's online?

You get like a technical blue but you have to test at a certified GJJ location to get the real one

He didn’t take those fights because they wouldn’t be competitive.
Rickson leaves his chin so far out it’s pretty hilarious. No footwork.
It would look like a man vs a boy.

He fought like a 90 year old Kaia master.

He’s the greatest of all time. Thank god he never had to prove it. And that is good enough for some.
Sakuraba would have systematically broke him down under any rule set as well.
Like he did all of the Gracie’s.

I like the Gracie’s. Shit I still tune into Royce’s modern fights.
But if you watch any rickson mma fight and think he’s impressive then I don’t know.

Best ever in bjjj. Sure. That’s reasonable.

His fighting record is not

Royce went an hour with Sakuraba. I’d have a hard time believing Rickson wouldn’t be competitive.

Jesus

the comments in this thread are embarassing

Most of you have never trained jiu jitsu or know the first thing about it

literally stfu

You have never trained anything in your life, pretentious troll. Your opinion is totally irrelevant and you literally make no sense.

Royce went an hour with Sakuraba. I’d have a hard time believing Rickson wouldn’t be competitive.

Sakuraba stretches that fight out. I was rooting for Royce and always will root for Royce.

Royce wasn’t afraid to lose. He was willing to prove he’s the best. Rickson never did that.
Most of the other Gracie’s at that time tested themselves. Rickson never did.

He just talked.

Sakuraba stretches that fight out. I was rooting for Royce and always will root for Royce.

Royce wasn’t afraid to lose. He was willing to prove he’s the best. Rickson never did that.
Most of the other Gracie’s at that time tested themselves. Rickson never did.

If you can watch that fight again. Watch it. He wanted to make Royce quit. And he did.

He just talked.

In the end you become what you hate the most.

The Gracies came to the US to expose traditional martial arts as lacking in practical value, and today they have become what they once sought to expose.

It's sad really to see black belts not even attempting to use BJJ anymore and just slugging it out on the feet...The one tweak any pro MMA fighter should have is using the Hubber Guard...Boggles my mind how many people still have no clue about it..At a minimum it will keep you from getting your face smashed in long enough to catch your breath...Ferguson and a few others use it but overall it's still rare to see in the UFC
The reality is most MMA fighters are black/brown belts in BJJ and you don't even know it.

For example Tyron Woodley is a BJJ brown belt and so is Mcgregor.

Real fighting involves weapons, and has done so for at least 200,000 years. Humans are pathetic fighters unarmed, we'd still be bear and lion kibble if it weren't for weapons.

Humans fighting unarmed, and worse, one-on-one, is a sport. Ask a cop, or just look at crime stats (locally 90% of real fights involve weapons or numbers, and usually both, according to the stats). Anyone who's training you train for real fights with more than 25% of the time spent on unarmed (you need a bit to buy time to get to your weapon if you're not situationally aware) is selling you something.

Your average fit male with a 6" knife (let alone a gun) is beating 95% of GJJ or BJJ or MMA fighters 95% of the time. If you're not training for those circumstances you're just training for a different kind of sport combat.

The false sense of confidence unarmed fighters of all styles have wrt weapons is as silly as the false sense of confidence TMA folks had about interstyle unarmed fights, and is based on the same thing - not testing against the real thing. If you think BJJ or MMA or any unarmed style is good for real fights, try this at your club. Give a fit beginner a red marker to use as a 'knife', and then fight. Then count the red marks on your body. The chances are very high you 'died' in that combat.
are the old real fights involve weapons bullshit. your preaching to the choir on that one. it depends on the country and place you live mostly. i have been in a number of street fights and only two ever involved weapons. one was with a pick handle which i look off the guy and elbowed him, the other was when i took on a group of black fellas with knives strapped to my hands with boxing wraps. mma skills do work in multiple person confrontations. i have been there and done that. nearly ended up in jail after i broke one blokes jaw and gave another a concussion with a headbutt. that was me against at least 3-4 people (it's hard to tell how many when your actually fighting). real fights happen all the in australia without weapons. maybe they are just pussies where you come from (just kidding, i get what your saying but it's not really how it works where i live)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back