Reyes Velcro Review

StRatoCastR

Gear Tester/Reviewer
@Brown
Reaction score
Updates in Yellow original review 5-18-13

Additions made to the original review in red

Hello all, today Ill be reviewing my 2+ year old Reyes Velcro gloves. I am the original owner and have put many rounds into these gloves. These Gloves are made in Mexico.

Reyes are known as being "The" Mexican glove, on with the review!

The Shape:
Mexican style: Compact, flat, and wide. Also, the velcro is the BEST Ive ever owned. Sorry StRatoCastR you were Wrong! Hayabusa GSP take the cake

The Feel:
I LOVE the feel of Reyes, I dont think there is any glove that compares. The hand compartment is wide but not large. Wide in the sense you can move your hand side to side. But not large in the sense my hand swims in the glove. I have 0 thumb issues with any glove Ive used. That being said I know people have complained about Reyes thumb placement. I dont mind it, and I will go as far as to say I love it. Gloves imo--to each their own. But I cant speak highly enough about Cleto Reyes. Wrist Protection: My wrist is very stable in these gloves, if you require more stability I would consider lace-ups.

The Padding:
Ok, let me clear this up. When you punch with these you will not break your hand. I dont know where that comes from. The padding is remarkably soft, it isnt stiff by ANY stetch of the means. You can push the padding down with very small force. That is why this is a "Puncher's" glove, your knuckles will compress the padding down from the inside and rise to the top to deal damage to your opponent. This doesnt mean you will be the next Sonny Liston. I have dealt with "other" paddings from "other" gloves, Reyes padding is truly superb. Reyes arent the most protective for your hands, but they are far, far, far from being the worst.They aren't Winnings by any stretch of the means but I still use these things on the bag, unlike Fairtex these don't jack up my wrists or my hands! At 2.5+ Years the padding is now starting to die, I can feel it on the bag now, its getting that hollowness to it... about another 3-5 months and these things padding wise are done, the leather is still fully intact! Might have to hang them up!

The Leather:
Hands down, Reyes beats EVERYONE, E-V-E-R-Y mother****ing one out there (Yes Winning fanbois I went there:icon_chee). There is absolutely No dispute. The leather is of the highest quality, if someone argues this point they A. Never used Reyes, B. Repeating what they might have heard from someone else, or C. Watched some idiot on Youtube. With all that said, these gloves are over 2 years old and put in 4-5x of Heavy gym time each week for the last 2 years, and the leather still looks the way it does. The color is phenomenal, infact the gloves are so red, that the camera has an issue capturing the red that it bleeds onto the photo, see image 1 and 4. Everything is double stitched with no errors. Edit: Winning and Reyes leather are pretty much on par with one another its a tie IMO, they both have little nuances that one does better than the other. So yeah I am not afraid to admit when I was wrong.

Weight:
These are 14oz, they actually weigh in the scales at 16.1 for each glove. Reyes are NOTORIOUS for coming in heavy.

The Label:
A testament of the quality of Reyes, the logo has almost no chipping from prolonged use on the back of the fist. The cuff is completely embroided for maximum longevity. Again, why would Reyes go through so much hassle for little details such as this? Quality is paramount. Does the label ever wear off, wtf?!

The Cuff:
Standard flat cuff, however... if you look at the underside of the wrist you will notice there is more padding, awesome for catching punches. In my personal experience that isnt to say others dont do this, but Reyes so far is the ONLY one that Ive seen offers this magnitude of padding in this area. All gloves have some minor padding, but not like this.

The Price:
You know I think the Price is MORE than fair! The only downside to Reyes is you cant customize it, but I guess if you do things THIS good... who needs it? Maybe Reyes Feels like it would compromise if they started offering all kinds of customizations. I dont know Im just speculating. If you are a gear junkie, and healthy hands you NEED to have Reyes in your collection. Or you simply like a Puncher's glove

Overall:
Reyes makes the finest quality glove out there. Period. In my opinion there are only 2 unkillable giants in the boxing world. Winning and Reyes, they stand alone. Can I compare Winning to Reyes? No, 2 different gloves with 2 different purposes. I'm not going to say which is better, they each have their own place. The Reyes lacks Customization however, they offer alot of colors that many companies charge for(yellow for example). Is Reyes still my favorite? I don't know now, I own ALOT of great gloves, for Nostalgic value they are still in my top 3 for sure. I still think the craftsmanship is STILL by far my favorite. Something about it, its got that handmade feel to it that no other glove in my collection has. For that it is a thing of beauty and I respect the work and effort into the gloves. Sure, they aren't perfect but because of that IMO that's what makes them so special especially when regarding the craftsmanship and use of materials involved into this glove.

Score: A+ or 10/10

For those that do not like to read (

Last edited:
Great review mate, i love cleto reyes gloves they are works of art & smell beautiful.
I had the velcro version and gotta say the hand department was i little big and i got big hands, ended up selling them on ebay. I got the lace up version, & IMO the hand department in the lace up's is more snug for some reason. I love sparring in reyes i like to feel my punches hands down one of my favorite gloves.

photo2_zps8b952aa5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
photo1_zpse98986b4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

How long have you had those ik?

Also strato...i hear 16oz reyes hand compartment is much wider for widt in proportion to the glove than the 14oz and under sizes...idk what is up with that but it is this way apparently. Small reyes = snug, 16oz and over = wide

How long have you had those ik?

Also strato...i hear 16oz reyes hand compartment is much wider for widt in proportion to the glove than the 14oz and under sizes...idk what is up with that but it is this way apparently. Small reyes = snug, 16oz and over = wide

Had the reyes just over 12 months, i owned 14oz reyes in the past and the hand compartment is a lot smaller than the 16oz velcro i used to own very snug the 14oz . But the lace up 16oz IMO is a nice snug fit too, i dont know why my vecro 16oz felt a lot wider than my 16oz lace up weird!!

Last edited:
Interesting...I'll probably go for 10oz winnings next and then 14 oz reyes since i like the slim profile and a wide glove is not as attractive to me...(maybe i'll get 16 though if i can eventually confirm if lace up versions have the standard slim profile of reyes unlike velcro from more sources)...i'll be looking at the winning 10's first, and get the 14/16's later for when i want heavier gloves to do some higher conditioning with on the bags and such...depending on what size you guys recommend.

Majik u weigh how much again? Below 150 right? If so go with 14s reyes

How do you guys find the performance of 14oz Reyes in terms of protection for your sparring partners?

I've had no complaints, be we are instructed not to spar at 100% either. Chambers like I said bro, there are far more worse gloves that people use to spar. In my personal experience Reyes are fine to use in a sparring environment.

Hey your avatar picture shows white cletos. You have white ones too? Also on the palm opening, is there an elastic piece to keep it closed or does it kind of open up when you tightening the velcro?

I've had no complaints, be we are instructed not to spar at 100% either. Chambers like I said bro, there are far more worse gloves that people use to spar. In my personal experience Reyes are fine to use in a sparring environment.

Thanks for the reply strato. Damn...now I want some yellow cletos!!!

I have white 14oz cletos as well, and yes there is an elastic piece below the palm area to keep the gloves closed

I take it 16oz is your sparring and 14 is your training? Or you just love reyes that much i guess. Making me jealous! Have you reviewed the 14's? And thanks i am under 140 pounds so 14 probably is better than 16 for me as you suggested. Ill probably get the training gloves and not the sparring gloves.

The Reyes are good gloves, that's about it. The fit is decent, at best. The padding is average at best (some cheap, generic foam). The hand protection is average. You can't use them really for sparring, and they aren't good for the bag either. If you want sparring gloves you have better/cheaper options, if you want bag gloves you have better/cheaper options. So I can't really agree with the reviewer here. To say that they're the best gloves is ridiculous, you either never owned a pair of Winning gloves or you just don't know what's important. Why do you think none of the pro's use Reyes gloves when they train? Why does everyone use Winning. That's all I'm gonna say. The Reyes are good gloves, but you are very limited with them because of the padding, that's their only problem in my book. I don't mind the thumb placement as much. The leather is great, the quality overall is really great. The stitching usually is right up there with the best. But if you want bag or sparring gloves you can get better ones because the padding is the most important thing in gloves. Since quality wise most of the gloves around 70-80 bucks are decent enough to last a while. They're not gonna last like the Reyes but they don't have to. But if you want THAT type of glove (small amount of padding, soft padding) then the Reyes are probably the best out there, maybe even better than the Grant. But I think in general the people are looking for good training gloves with good knuckle protection.

Interesting...I'll probably go for 10oz winnings next and then 14 oz reyes since i like the slim profile and a wide glove is not as attractive to me...(maybe i'll get 16 though if i can eventually confirm if lace up versions have the standard slim profile of reyes unlike velcro from more sources)...i'll be looking at the winning 10's first, and get the 14/16's later for when i want heavier gloves to do some higher conditioning with on the bags and such...depending on what size you guys recommend.

If u can afford winning get 12oz for heavy bag and pad work ect you will not beat winning gloves for training I use 14oz winning for training. And Reyes for sparring love to spar in Reyes you can make the best natural fist in Reyes & at you weight 14oz should be ok.

The Reyes are good gloves, that's about it. The fit is decent, at best. The padding is average at best (some cheap, generic foam). The hand protection is average. You can't use them really for sparring, and they aren't good for the bag either. If you want sparring gloves you have better/cheaper options, if you want bag gloves you have better/cheaper options. So I can't really agree with the reviewer here. To say that they're the best gloves is ridiculous, you either never owned a pair of Winning gloves or you just don't know what's important. Why do you think none of the pro's use Reyes gloves when they train? Why does everyone use Winning. That's all I'm gonna say. The Reyes are good gloves, but you are very limited with them because of the padding, that's their only problem in my book. I don't mind the thumb placement as much. The leather is great, the quality overall is really great. The stitching usually is right up there with the best. But if you want bag or sparring gloves you can get better ones because the padding is the most important thing in gloves. Since quality wise most of the gloves around 70-80 bucks are decent enough to last a while. They're not gonna last like the Reyes but they don't have to. But if you want THAT type of glove (small amount of padding, soft padding) then the Reyes are probably the best out there, maybe even better than the Grant. But I think in general the people are looking for good training gloves with good knuckle protection.

1. Gonz did you read the review? I clearly stated Reyes were NOT the most protective, but I also state they are far from worst.

2. I also state winning and Reyes were the only gloves worthy of 10s in my experience. Again, failed to read the review. I never bash winnings only in jest when I stated Reyes had better leather.

3. I dont train with every pro out there, so your claim that "None of the pro's" using them is a pretty bold, and inaccurate. If you said none of the pros you knew of train with them, that would have been a little better of a statement.

Even still this statement really bothers me. I train 4-5x a week with my Reyes, am I a pro, no i am not. Is my livelyhood based soley on boxing? No, they arent and I am not a professional boxer nor claim to be one. If I was training for a major fight with $$$s on the line, I would want the most protective glove on the market to protect my hands. But I dont do 3x a day work outs like Mayweather, I dont even go on a daily basis. Fact is Im just some guy in the Airforce that does boxing to train, and spar. Ive logged in rounds with pro fighters here in spokane. They have never once complained about my gloves. I feel they are the most experienced in this aspect.

Juan Manuel Marquez Sparring using a Reyes Glove, I think hes a pro... :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIpgJdz_Wzo

4. Doesnt cleto reyes make a 16oz "Sparring" Glove?

Not looking for a battle here Gonzaginator, but in my review I think I fairly access the Reyes glove and its possible downfalls for some. Again in my "Overall" accessment I believe I say Reyes and winning are 2 gloves with 2 different purposes, so again I state the obvious. Downfalls that dont detract from the glove but downfalls in the sense of maximum protection. I'm not encourging people with hand or thumb issues to get these gloves, infact I imply that winning is a better choice if you have these issues.

If you like winnings, so do I. I agree with you they are awesome a perfect 10 on the glove as a matter of fact. I am not reviewing winnings however, I plan to at a later time. If you felt my review was unfair lemme know.

Last edited:
Agreed with Gonzaginator.
Reyes are nice. Nice appearance, nice smell. Very durable leather - probably more durable than Winning (though "more durable" and "better quality" do not necessarily equal).
They are decent gloves with a significant lack of protection.

I honestly cannot understand 10/10.
+ Nice leather (but not a miracle). Though very durable.
+ Yes, exceptional stitching and overall construction (except thumb design).
- Average quality/protection/durability of padding (worse than many 2x less expensive gloves).
- Not cheap at all.

So what you are getting are the gloves with a good look and smell, well made of a good leather but with an overall mediocre performance. On the other hand they are far better than Grant imo. At least because Grant do not perform better despite being 2x as expensive.

Last edited:
Depends on what a individual want's out of a glove if your looking for a well padded glove there are cheaper gloves out there ie rival excellent gloves and very well padded and cheaper than reyes. Personally i like to feel my punches when sparring i used to sparr in winnings but over here in the uk the guy's sparr in cheap very dense gloves and i found it a bit of a disadvantage when i was hitting them with pillows and i was getting hit with bricks. So i got a pair of reyes and i never looked back i love them for sparring. I agree 100% reyes are no good for training ie heavy bag work just not enough padding, i use my winning for that and my hands have thanked me for it. My point is if you can only afford one pair of gloves for your training and sparring reyes may not be the glove for you there are plenty of gloves you can get for all purpose training, winning, rival, protex3, ringside. But IMO reyes are very good gloves and although people would rather get hit with winnings i never had a complaint of sparring partners about my reyes great gloves, last for ever too...top 5 gloves i have used

1 winning
2 reyes
3 grant
4 rival/protex 3
5 ringside imf tech

I've been sparring on the regular with a guy who wears Reyes and have gotten to try them out (although not in sparring). He has 18oz lace ups(he is heavy handed,lol) and 16oz hook and loops. The hand compartment is big, but other than that, I really like them though. I have been hit with them, and I didn't feel any difference between getting hit with Cleto's vs Ringside/Titles/Other random glvoes in the gym. Just my 2 cents.

Those blue Reyes are sexy(all Reyes are sexy, but I like blue), do you think a pair of 12 or 14oz Reyes would hold up on the bag? And since I hear that the 14s and belows are more compact, will the winning ng2s fit in them?

Thanks

edit: Just read above, guess Cleto's on the bag are a no go

I've been sparring on the regular with a guy who wears Reyes and have gotten to try them out (although not in sparring). He has 18oz lace ups(he is heavy handed,lol) and 16oz hook and loops. The hand compartment is big, but other than that, I really like them though. I have been hit with them, and I didn't feel any difference between getting hit with Cleto's vs Ringside/Titles/Other random glvoes in the gym. Just my 2 cents.

Those blue Reyes are sexy(all Reyes are sexy, but I like blue), do you think a pair of 12 or 14oz Reyes would hold up on the bag? And since I hear that the 14s and belows are more compact, will the winning ng2s fit in them?

Thanks

edit: Just read above, guess Cleto's on the bag are a no go

yes reyes are a sexy glove & the 14oz are very compact compered to the 16oz. as for holding up on the bag the reyes would.. just your hands wont lol.. obviously winning are excellent on the heavy bag but the protex 3 are good as well for heavy bag and sparring good protection for your hands imo .

Back