Reviews of online BJJ instructionals?

cakemuncher

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great if there was a folder (such as the one in Gear & Equipment) where people could post reviews of various BJJ subscriptions (e.g. AOJ, Roger Gracie TV etc...)? Perhaps a thread could be created for each of them...I'd luv to hear what other people think and which ones they recommend and why.

<Goldie11>

I recommend gracieuniversity.com. it r gud

Roger Gracie TV - Great content for simple yet essential fundamentals. I you wan't to build a solid foundation then this is it. Deals with the most common positions you'll encounter during your rolls. Whether you are a beginner white belt or colored belt looking to refine and review the effective basics, this is a great site. A lot of footage of Roger rolling as well. Techniques are short and sweet and straight to the point.

BJJ Library - Similar to Roger Gracie TV but this one has massive content and has different guest instructors as well (Leandro Lo, Romulo Barral, Lucas Leite to name a few). Also recommended for those looking for solid fundamentals.

AOJ - If you are the guy who is into the modern game (Berimbolo, 50/50, De La Riva, Reverse De La Riva) and often likes to play inverted stuff then this is for you. The techniques are interconnected and revolves around recurring concepts and so it's not that hard to retain. Instruction from both brothers are quite clear and techniques well explained.

Caio Terra - Similar to AOJ in the sense that you will see a lot of modern game techniques ( De La Riva, Berimbolo, Lapel Guard, Worm Guard) although Caio has a different style. Caio is super technical and detailed so his style of teaching may be a bit longer than your usual instruction clip.

So if you are trying to build a good base in BJJ, good old pressure passing etc, I'd recommend Roger Gracie TV and BJJ Library. If you like to explore the modern game then AOJ or Caio online is for you. Look into Cobrinha's site as well. Marcelo Garcia online has great and massive content as well.

Grapplers Guide by Jason Scully is quality quality stuff, and its a lifetime membership for a one time fee

Grapplers Guide by Jason Scully is quality quality stuff, and its a lifetime membership for a one time fee

The best thing about Jason is that he classifies everything. The table of content is well developped and you can find easily what you want in the 4000 videos.

When I wanted to develop my X guard, I got to open guard - X guard and I had a video about the differnet entries, another video about the positioning in Gi, another one about the positioning in NoGi and also about 15 videos for every sweeps and submissions from the position.

Same thing for passing the Z guard, I just got there and there was 10 videos of passing options, positioning...

For systematic people like me, this site is pure gold

Remzo Gracie has a good new site on Gallerr.com. Themes for the week( half guard , mount etc ). Nutrition vids, takedowns , self defense and in the future no gi and mma stuff. Good stuff with guest instructors . Short videos may not appeal to peeps who want super detail but I just play back for the details anyway .

The best thing about Jason is that he classifies everything. The table of content is well developped and you can find easily what you want in the 4000 videos.

When I wanted to develop my X guard, I got to open guard - X guard and I had a video about the differnet entries, another video about the positioning in Gi, another one about the positioning in NoGi and also about 15 videos for every sweeps and submissions from the position.

Same thing for passing the Z guard, I just got there and there was 10 videos of passing options, positioning...

For systematic people like me, this site is pure gold

I cant speak for other sites but you can tell that the GG website and bjj are Jason' passion and he does everything he can to provide top content, and help the community

its just so daunting the amount of information on there, im a mid level blue belt and im still working through the basics, but like you said each possible position/escape/sub/ etc has so many videos and variations that it would take a lifetime to get through

I cant speak for other sites but you can tell that the GG website and bjj are Jason' passion and he does everything he can to provide top content, and help the community

its just so daunting the amount of information on there, im a mid level blue belt and im still working through the basics, but like you said each possible position/escape/sub/ etc has so many videos and variations that it would take a lifetime to get through

I love my coaches and I integrate a lot of the techniques they show in class into my game. But they can't show the exact technique that I need at the moment I need it. Every time I struggled in the past year I watched videos about it. I also watched a lot of videos about general concepts (Jason has a ton of them) like how to behave in the guard, having good positions under mount and side mount...

Right now, I can say that 90% of my passing game is from the GG, 50% of my positioning, 70% of my open guard and 80% of my closed guard are straight from videos I watched in the GG.

Roger Gracie TV - Great content for simple yet essential fundamentals. I you wan't to build a solid foundation then this is it. Deals with the most common positions you'll encounter during your rolls. Whether you are a beginner white belt or colored belt looking to refine and review the effective basics, this is a great site. A lot of footage of Roger rolling as well. Techniques are short and sweet and straight to the point.

BJJ Library - Similar to Roger Gracie TV but this one has massive content and has different guest instructors as well (Leandro Lo, Romulo Barral, Lucas Leite to name a few). Also recommended for those looking for solid fundamentals.

AOJ - If you are the guy who is into the modern game (Berimbolo, 50/50, De La Riva, Reverse De La Riva) and often likes to play inverted stuff then this is for you. The techniques are interconnected and revolves around recurring concepts and so it's not that hard to retain. Instruction from both brothers are quite clear and techniques well explained.

Caio Terra - Similar to AOJ in the sense that you will see a lot of modern game techniques ( De La Riva, Berimbolo, Lapel Guard, Worm Guard) although Caio has a different style. Caio is super technical and detailed so his style of teaching may be a bit longer than your usual instruction clip.

So if you are trying to build a good base in BJJ, good old pressure passing etc, I'd recommend Roger Gracie TV and BJJ Library. If you like to explore the modern game then AOJ or Caio online is for you. Look into Cobrinha's site as well. Marcelo Garcia online has great and massive content as well.

Thanks for the overview. How are these for nogi?

Thanks for the overview. How are these for nogi?
Depends on what you're after. Again, Roger fouses on simple yet effective fundamental techniques. AOJ has good no gi content, again focusing on their style which is reverse de la riva, 5050, X guard etc. Marcelo Garcia has massive No Gi content - single leg x, guillotines etc. If your signing up for no gi techniques, I'd go for AOJ or. Marcelo Garcia.

Depends on what you're after. Again, Roger fouses on simple yet effective fundamental techniques. AOJ has good no gi content, again focusing on their style which is reverse de la riva, 5050, X guard etc. Marcelo Garcia has massive No Gi content - single leg x, guillotines etc. If your signing up for no gi techniques, I'd go for AOJ or. Marcelo Garcia.

Caio, Roger and AOJ are all heavily gi focused. There is some nogi stuff on all of them but it's not enough to pick and choose stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back