Renzos arm triangle

ever since watching the ryan hall dvd i've tried to use my weight/chest/drive from my feet to finish, rather than just pulling/squeezing as hard as possible. henzo's doing it at about a 45 degree angle, where hall almost goes perpendicular.

great stuff nefti i can't decide whether to play with crucifix or go back to arm triangles for my next project...

Don't we all go through a cruxifix stage at one point lol?

Btw there is a nasty Ezekiel from when your opponent turns away from you in an a triangle. Kayron Gracie used to hit in in competition all the time.

Btw there is a nasty Ezekiel from when your opponent turns away from you in an a triangle. Kayron Gracie used to hit in in competition all the time.

You can actually hit the same move even when they are facing you (or when in guard).

Yes, IMHO the Ezekiel gets a bum rap because so many noobs use it as a crutch

Well you know how i like to see it; when someone says '[X] move is cheap', what i hear is '[X] move is disproportionately effective'.

Well you know how i like to see it; when someone says '[X] move is cheap', what i hear is '[X] move is disproportionately effective'.

I does develop bad habits at lower belts IMHO.

I find the Ryan Hall/Seph Smith finish to be the easiest and most powerful by far. Braulio Estima's is basically like this too. I've worked arm triangles for 9 years now and I've tried every grip variation and positioning variation in the book. This 1-2 sequence requires almost no muscle either.

Seph can speak, how about that. I only know him from hours of being Ryan Hall's uke :D

IMO this is the way to do it. You don't even need to grip once you have the mechanics right you can just do it with one hand. I put the non-choking hand on the mat as I cross over and push off it a little to help dig the collarbone into his shoulder, then maybe grip if he hasn't tapped. I found by experience though if he's not tapping with one hand the angle is a bit off, and squeezing your balls off with both hands usually doesn't help so much. Of course if it's like a competition or I really want the tap fast I'm gonna use both, but the power isn't coming from the squeeze.

I'm not a fan of the RNC grip at all for the reason Ryan Hall outlined in his DVDs, it's not efficient IMO. With an s-grip I can project my chest forward, driving my collarbone into his shoulder to increase the pressure like in the clip. With a RNC grip you're hunching your shoulders, which means you can't project and is actually lessening the pressure on his nearside shoulder. This means you compensate by squeezing, which is less efficient, and when you squeeze harder the opponents shoulder tends to come off the mat and the choke is mostly gone.

Last edited:
Seph can speak, how about that. I only know him from hours of being Ryan Hall's uke :D

IMO this is the way to do it. You don't even need to grip once you have the mechanics right you can just do it with one hand. I put the non-choking hand on the mat as I cross over and push off it a little to help dig the collarbone into his shoulder, then maybe grip if he hasn't tapped. I found by experience though if he's not tapping with one hand the angle is a bit off, and squeezing your balls off with both hands usually doesn't help so much. Of course if it's like a competition or I really want the tap fast I'm gonna use both, but the power isn't coming from the squeeze.

I'm not a fan of the RNC grip at all for the reason Ryan Hall outlined in his DVDs, it's not efficient IMO. With an s-grip I can project my chest forward, driving my collarbone into his shoulder to increase the pressure like in the clip. With a RNC grip you're hunching your shoulders, which means you can't project and is actually lessening the pressure on his nearside shoulder. This means you compensate by squeezing, which is less efficient, and when you squeeze harder the opponents shoulder tends to come off the mat and the choke is mostly gone.
Dude Seph is awesome. he has a Digitsu series coming out soon although I'm not sure on what. And Ryan Hall mentioned that Seph is the guy that helped develop the kata gatame and ezekiel finishing mechanics shown on that arm triangles dvd set.

That set is hella underrated. It dropped in either 2012 or 2013 and I can't believe how many people are still showing kata gatame, darce/brabo, arm-in ezekiel (gi and no-gi), and anaconda choke finishing details so poorly.

Not only has that instructional stood the test of time but it's way ahead of its time even here in 2018.

Back