Remember the subtle skill of Chris John?

RizinSon88

She came to me with a serpent's kiss...
@Brown
Reaction score
Does anyone here remember the controversy of his win over JMMarquez? His matches with Gainer and Rocky Juarez? Overrated or Underrated? Tbh I have only seen 5 of his fights...

I remember watching the JMM fight, thinking JMM won.

But he was still pretty decent

I remember watching the JMM fight, thinking JMM won.

But he was still pretty decent
it was very close. but if you were listening to the crowd and not watching the fight it would have seemed like a one sided beating handed out by john. Honestly i find it kind of heart warming when a nation gets behind a boxer so steadfastly.

as for johns skills. he was a very good boxer i have a lot of respect for him and he accomplished a lot really he only gets semi overlooked because he never really had to travel outside to fight. He is always worth a study he is quite a judicious boxer

The JMM fight was close indeed. It's a pity quite a few fans consider it a robbery.

Like Narvaez and Wonjongkam, in a way, to me, badly underappreciated boxers outside of their backyards.

it was very close. but if you were listening to the crowd and not watching the fight it would have seemed like a one sided beating handed out by john. Honestly i find it kind of heart warming when a nation gets behind a boxer so steadfastly.

as for johns skills. he was a very good boxer i have a lot of respect for him and he accomplished a lot really he only gets semi overlooked because he never really had to travel outside to fight. He is always worth a study he is quite a judicious boxer
Man, I was in Indonesia a year ago. They love that man. Every time I talked about boxing they just brought up John.

Really good fighter for what it's worth. Tough fight for anybody in boxing history: not the biggest puncher, but very slick and able to fight in a tricky way. Might get into the HOF. The JMM fight was close, but no robbery IMO.

Man, I was in Indonesia a year ago. They love that man. Every time I talked about boxing they just brought up John.

Really good fighter for what it's worth. Tough fight for anybody in boxing history: not the biggest puncher, but very slick and able to fight in a tricky way. Might get into the HOF. The JMM fight was close, but no robbery IMO.
yes he had really good sense of distancing with fucked up Marquez bad in their fight. I ike his style it seems pretentious he is aggressive without even punching.

yes he had really good sense of distancing with fucked up Marquez bad in their fight. I ike his style it seems pretentious he is aggressive without even punching.
he reminded me a bit of Toney without the power in a weird way. He'd get behind his jab then throw off his opponents distance by getting in and throwing inside, mostly to the body, then getting out. Really tough to get a hold of.

he reminded me a bit of Toney without the power in a weird way. He'd get behind his jab then throw off his opponents distance by getting in and throwing inside, mostly to the body, then getting out. Really tough to get a hold of.
We might have to disagree on that point Toney never really had that skill which is one of the reasons why he got blood eagled by RJJ and schooled Mike in their first fight and ragged through hell in the 2nd.
John was actually quite a bit more gifted with his footwork than Toney IMO

We might have to disagree on that point Toney never really had that skill which is one of the reasons why he got blood eagled by RJJ and schooled Mike in their first fight and ragged through hell in the 2nd.
John was actually quite a bit more gifted with his footwork than Toney IMO
hmmm, I agree on the footwork, but the head movement and the transitions to the inside are points that can be compared IMO. John was just a lot better at switching out when it became a problem, whereas Toney often seemed more willing to slug it out and rely on his radar.

hmmm, I agree on the footwork, but the head movement and the transitions to the inside are points that can be compared IMO. John was just a lot better at switching out when it became a problem, whereas Toney often seemed more willing to slug it out and rely on his radar.
yes thats true. but i never said any thing to the contrary of that foot work is not a defensive attribute it is the mortar that holds all things together. so yes i believe John has better all around footwork as in he could his footwork to accomplish more things. But as you said John was not pulling off the same type of style of headwork and counters as Toney( but they come from complete different schools of pugilism so why would they). Although i believe if John had been schooled like Toney he still would not have fought like Toney he just did not have that temperament.

I think John took a lot of heat for only fighting in Asia and not coming to America for bouts (except for Rocky I think). But he was the champion, he can fight wherever he wants.

The Marquez fight was close but not really a robbery. I think that just became an easy-copout since it happened in Indonesia. I imagine Pac/JMM 3 would've garnered a lot more "robbery" chatter if it happened in the Philippines instead of Las Vegas.

I think John took a lot of heat for only fighting in Asia and not coming to America for bouts (except for Rocky I think). But he was the champion, he can fight wherever he wants.

The Marquez fight was close but not really a robbery. I think that just became an easy-copout since it happened in Indonesia. I imagine Pac/JMM 3 would've garnered a lot more "robbery" chatter if it happened in the Philippines instead of Las Vegas.
yeah he was making a lot of money to fight in Indo. I don't think that money was on the table if he came to the US consistently.

yeah he was making a lot of money to fight in Indo. I don't think that money was on the table if he came to the US consistently.

And given the fact that he wasn't exactly popular stateside, I have to imagine he gets some questionable decisions. IIRC there was some controversy in his first fight with Rocky.

He probably got more favorable judging in Indo himself, but dem's the breaks for any challengers.

And given the fact that he wasn't exactly popular stateside, I have to imagine he gets some questionable decisions. IIRC there was some controversy in his first fight with Rocky.

He probably got more favorable judging in Indo himself, but dem's the breaks for any challengers.
there was controversy vs Juarez: John pretty clearly won.

I think its because there was a clear winner know matter how close it was
I didn't see a clear winner either way though. John made Marquez miss a lot. Marquez's counterpunching looked pretty ineffective TBH. Add in the point deductions and it's certainly not a stretch to give it to John at all.

Didn’t Marquez only go to Indonesia because he expected an easy win? He turned down a massive payday to go fight John and it stifled his career for a long time when he lost.

Back