Recommended Reading List For Original Star Wars Expanded Universe Books?

GearSolidMetal

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been meaning to watch 'Star Wars The Clone Wars' since it ended, but want to skip over the pointless episodes. And I saw this posted here not long ago and will be following this guide -

suv_AMu_Y.jpg

This got me thinking - Are there any experts of the original Expanded Universe on the internet that have posted their recommended reading lists for the best Star Wars novels before Disney deemed them all to be 'non-cannon?'

I do know there were over a hundred novels, thousands of comics, and videogames that were all of varrying quality, contradicted eachother, and events overlapped in the storylines.

Lets filter out the Prequel & Old Republic eras in the discussion, but focus on material that occured shortly before, during, and after the original trilogy.

Yeah, Disney's reimagining of Star Wars has pissed me off so much I'm willing to read dozens of books to help remove Ep7, Rogue One, and Ep8 from my mind.

The original Han Solo trilogy was awesome, gave his background and who he was.

Rogue squadron books, I Jedi, Admiral Thrawn series and a few others are worth the read.

Also the 3 book Dark Forces was awesome. Some phenomenal artwork. I had them back in HS and loaned them to a friend who never gave them back...

Lets filter out the Prequel & Old Republic eras in the discussion, but focus on material that occured shortly before, during, and after the original trilogy.

So you dont wanna read the best stuff?

I guess just start at Thawn right? Go from there

Maybe some Dash Rendar shit..Do you like Han Solo? If so you like Dash Rendar

Thrawn Trilogy and Han Solo trilogy are both good.

You absolutely need to read Kieren Gillens 25 issue run of Darth Vader for Marvel comics (but don't skip the Vader Down mini series died). That is required reading for anyone interested in Star Wars EU. You should start that right now. There's a new run of Vader going by a different writer which actually takes place immediately after Episode 3. That's good too, but Gillens work is just on another level.

Star Wars Rebels gets really good after season 1. S1 wasn't bad, it had a nice set up and likable characters, but nothing that really put it on par with clone wars. That starts in season 2.

Let's get shit settled before jumping in: so what the fuck is officially cannon now?

Second, I remember someone saying In the novels that Luke dies and Leia becomes the chosen Jedi and trains with the light saber. Is that correct?

Let's get shit settled before jumping in: so what the fuck is officially cannon now?
All 10 movies (Including the Clone Wars movie)
Clone Wars CGI series.
Rebels series.
All novels released since the Disney buyout.

Second, I remember someone saying In the novels that Luke dies and Leia becomes the chosen Jedi and trains with the light saber. Is that correct?

From what I heard of the later novels, released closer to the buyout, that didn't happen.

I thought it is called Legends now. Or is Legends something entirely different? Is Expanded universe something Disney came out with?

I constantly re read the rogue squadron series by Karen Traviss. It’s a shame she refuses to finish it because some fight she had with Lucas arts publishing.

I thought it is called Legends now. Or is Legends something entirely different? Is Expanded universe something Disney came out with?

Disney calls the old EU 'Legends' now.

But most of the EU is of a much higher quality than the movies they're shitting out every year.

So you dont wanna read the best stuff?

I guess just start at Thawn right? Go from there

Maybe some Dash Rendar shit..Do you like Han Solo? If so you like Dash Rendar
AUFe2.jpg

He’s still canon to me damnit! Outsider never die!

Cannon doesn't even matter

How can you just wave a wand and say these things never happened and just ignore all that stuff you already know

Yeah no thanks Disney. I'm not going to go buy your books just cause they are cannon

I don't even know what's cannon and what isn't anymore. Read the Darth Bane trilogy and it's awesome.

I don't even know what's cannon and what isn't anymore. Read the Darth Bane trilogy and it's awesome.

All the movies, the Clone Wars series, and everything new since the Disney buyout.

And I've read the Darth Bane trilogy several times, more times than any other book trilogy. It's an A+ series. But this is about recommended books of the old expanded universe set shortly before, during, or after the original movie trilogy.

So are Disney still allowing fan fiction of the star wars series? I'd expected they'd have put an end to that pretty sharpish.

I don't know the categories but some books I thoroughly enjoyed:
Darth Plagueis
Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
Dark Disciple
Dark Lord The Rise of Darth Vader

Tarkin started strong but go boring.

I haven't watched the Disney movies.

I like the old Legends Prequel stuff the best. That’s the best era for Star Wars imo. Most interesting characters.

I'm gonna jump into this shit soon. Starting with the Thrawn trilogy. I remember Thrawn from this game Star Wars Rebellion and dude was a badass

I don't know the categories but some books I thoroughly enjoyed:
Darth Plagueis
Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
Dark Disciple
Dark Lord The Rise of Darth Vader

Tarkin started strong but go boring.

I haven't watched the Disney movies.
Dark Disciple is one of my fave books. I wish they would make that into a movie. Quinlan Vos and Asajj are a great team

Dark Disciple is one of my fave books. I wish they would make that into a movie. Quinlan Vos and Asajj are a great team
Any other Star Wars books you love besides Darth Bane series?

The Incel Wars is a great Star Wars book

Back