Recently awared 4th stripe on white...what to focus on for progression towards blue?

Steveston

Lion's Den
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I feel slightly stuck on what to work on in order to get my blue...what did you guys work on? Is there a general notion of what I should be doing at this time?
I'm about 50/50 for playing both bottom and top game.

-UniqueSteez.

Just keep doing what you're doing. Train hard, compete (if you want), develop the basics.

Things that helped me go from white - blue. (I'm a brown belt now) There are more, but here are just a few tips.

1. Really start training with a focused purpose to get better and/or work on something. This can mean working on your A-game or purposely working on your bad/weaker side in half guard.

2. Start drilling more. Even if you drill now, really start drilling more. Learn to love it.

3. Start understanding concepts/ideas vs just memorizing moves.

pick a guard and become obsessed with it. start learning the different attack chains

Snap down and ezekiel choke.

All you'll ever need.

Learn as many positions and moves as you can. Play with them a lot. If you learned something in class, try to make it work in rolling. Do that for another year or two. Then when you've figured out what you really like, concentrate on getting good at those positions/techniques. Late white belt/early blue is the time to expose yourself and absorb as much as you can.

Back