Recent fights/results/news from ONE Championship

Jonathan Haggerty's recent Youtube video on his preparation and training in Thailand prior to his fight with Lobo is worth putting here (great production):

I like this contents.
So seems like they are working on Haggerty vs Superlek next.
To be honest I don’t like this fight at the moment because it means that we will not get Rodtang vs Superlek 2 that would have been huge and this will be an incredible wasted opportunity.

Superlek could beat Haggerty easily, as long as he's not bothered by his power at 145. The only worry is that Superlek has a ton of fight miles on him. I remember Puertas flash KOd him at one point, plus eating Takeru punches for a round can't help. If Superlek rnadomly get his chin cracked By Haggerty I'm swearing off ONE forever, ffs.

In other news Wei Rui signed with ONE according to Chinese fans and WLF accounts on twitter. Props to him for stop crushing cans and going to a promotion that will (possibly) throw the hardest machups it can at him. In his prime he'd beat Akimoto and Haggerty pretty easily imo, not as sure about Petchtanong. But Rui's chin sucks now and I predict he'll get KOd if ONE gives him someone not a can.

I like this contents.
So seems like they are working on Haggerty vs Superlek next.
To be honest I don’t like this fight at the moment because it means that we will not get Rodtang vs Superlek 2 that would have been huge and this will be an incredible wasted opportunity.
From ONE's perspective Superlek is this unstoppable beast on the cusp of retirement, they are probably trying to get him to pass the torch as it were. Putting him again Rodtang didnt work, putting him against Takeru in KB rules didnt work, their best bet is probably to have him get into a fire fight with Haggerty. He also has a win over Haggerty but it was a much longer time ago than the Rodtang one and he has presumably improved a lot since then.

I think it has the potential to be a good fight as well, my main worry would be that Haggerty gets an early KO before things get interesting.

Superlek could beat Haggerty easily, as long as he's not bothered by his power at 145. The only worry is that Superlek has a ton of fight miles on him. I remember Puertas flash KOd him at one point, plus eating Takeru punches for a round can't help. If Superlek rnadomly get his chin cracked By Haggerty I'm swearing off ONE forever, ffs.

In other news Wei Rui signed with ONE according to Chinese fans and WLF accounts on twitter. Props to him for stop crushing cans and going to a promotion that will (possibly) throw the hardest machups it can at him. In his prime he'd beat Akimoto and Haggerty pretty easily imo, not as sure about Petchtanong. But Rui's chin sucks now and I predict he'll get KOd if ONE gives him someone not a can.

Let's just hope ONE doesn't put him on bench and sideline him permanently if he loses once.

From ONE's perspective Superlek is this unstoppable beast on the cusp of retirement, they are probably trying to get him to pass the torch as it were. Putting him again Rodtang didnt work, putting him against Takeru in KB rules didnt work, their best bet is probably to have him get into a fire fight with Haggerty. He also has a win over Haggerty but it was a much longer time ago than the Rodtang one and he has presumably improved a lot since then.

I think it has the potential to be a good fight as well, my main worry would be that Haggerty gets an early KO before things get interesting.
It could be a great fight but I am not so sure that we need it, Haggerty has already alot of possible opponents. I don’t understand ehy no one is interested anymore in Rodtang vs Superlek 2

It could be a great fight but I am not so sure that we need it, Haggerty has already alot of possible opponents. I don’t understand ehy no one is interested anymore in Rodtang vs Superlek 2
Like 7 kg of gap right now.

Haggerty can be fully handed fighting actual kickboxers-Thai fighters from his new weightclass. Akimoto, Nabati, Wei Rui, Carrillo... A shame Capitán is not in the mix anymore.

I feel like with the Takeru fight it's the opposite.

I think they put Takeru against Superlek to job him. I feel like they wanted Takeru and Japanese KB in general to take a loss.

Last edited:
Like 7 kg of gap right now.

Haggerty can be fully handed fighting actual kickboxers-Thai fighters from his new weightclass. Akimoto, Nabati, Wei Rui, Carrillo... A shame Capitán is not in the mix anymore.
Wow, Wei Rui is on the roster?

I hope they can smooth things over with Akimoto. He was fun to watch.

Wow, Wei Rui is on the roster?

I hope they can smooth things over with Akimoto. He was fun to watch.

That all depends on Chatri. They offered Akimoto a mixed-rules fight, he said he only wants kickboxing, they offered him a kickboxing fight vs Lineker, he said he only wants to fight actual kickboxers and the like. It's not like he made crazy demands, he just wants to stick to his principles, but that's why Chatri shelved him and according to Akimoto's camp ONE hasn't called them since. I don't see how things can be smoothed over when Chatri takes his bat and ball home.

I feel like with the Takeru fight it's the opposite.

I think they put Takeru against Superlek to job him. I feel like they wanted Takeru and Japanese KB in general to take a loss.

There is always this big rivalry between Thailand and Japan. But to be fair people made it sound like Takeru was at the top of the food chain in Japanese Kickboxing since Tenshin moved to boxing. ONE wanted to give him a real challenge and clearly Superlek was too much for him. There's also the fact Takeru said something along the lines of Superlek being his stepping stone, like just a step on the way up, so there was a lot of pressure on Superlek to teach him a lesson.

At the end of the day Kickboxing is Takeru's preferred ruleset, not Superlek's, and we still got that outcome.

There is always this big rivalry between Thailand and Japan. But to be fair people made it sound like Takeru was at the top of the food chain in Japanese Kickboxing since Tenshin moved to boxing. ONE wanted to give him a real challenge and clearly Superlek was too much for him. There's also the fact Takeru said something along the lines of Superlek being his stepping stone, like just a step on the way up, so there was a lot of pressure on Superlek to teach him a lesson.

At the end of the day Kickboxing is Takeru's preferred ruleset, not Superlek's, and we still got that outcome.
Superlek would give anyone in kickboxing a hard time. His style transfers over to K-1 style rules much better than a Rodtang. All this did was hurt ONE in the long run as Rodtang vs Takeru is a very legit super fight.

Now Superlek has beaten both Rodtang and Takeru plus Injured them (Broke Rodtangs hand and Takerus leg.) If he fights and beats Haggerty I don't see why he wouldn't retire.

Superlek would give anyone in kickboxing a hard time. His style transfers over to K-1 style rules much better than a Rodtang. All this did was hurt ONE in the long run as Rodtang vs Takeru is a very legit super fight.

Now Superlek has beaten both Rodtang and Takeru plus Injured them (Broke Rodtangs hand and Takerus leg.) If he fights and beats Haggerty I don't see why he wouldn't retire.
The Rodtang vs Takeru fight makes even more sense now that they both lost to Superlek actually. It's not Superlek's fault for being on another level. He can still fight Rodtang for the MT belt, and go up to fight Haggerty and then Carrillo.

Did he break Takeru's leg?
I thought it was just severly bruised.

Back