Rear hand catches and active lead hand "?" for Sinister and others

Kickzilla

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I've been taking a more serious look at your gym's youtube channel recently and the drills you show with your fighters and students are always nice to see and informative.

A few things started popping up in my mind about the drills you have your guys and gals do. I noticed you place an emphasis in the drills on the rear hand being used as a catching hand which of course makes sense, works effectively with the classical stance, encourages the lead hand to be an active tool and weapon and to me it seems also encourages head movement from a more streamlined and calm position as opposed to doing so in a panicked reactive manner.

In line with that observation I noticed your students often catch right and left straights (southpaw) with the rear hand as well. I'm familar with the cross catch in orthodox vs. orthodox though it often gets levied with the caution of being risky but it seems like you drill the right responses consistently over and over with your students for it not to be a risk. Is using the rear hand to catch for straight rights and straight lefts (from a southpaw) safe? I feel as though it would also encourage the mindset of using the lead hand much more offensively, occupying space, etc. Well to an extent of course there's no perfect scenario in a fight where one set of techniques will work all the time.

To show an illustration to those reading this as well here's a 1-3-2 drill from the channel (LevantarAthletics) that illustrates the principle quite nicely, and I encourage anyone who hasn't looked at the channel to do so it's informative and showcases the importance of proper drilling, let alone all the nice sparring footage of various fighters.

Back