Razor Ruddock vs Ray Mercer 91

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Kinda strange that this fight didnt happen back at some point from 91-94

Who takes it?

Close fight imo. I guess ill go Mercer by UD

I'd take Mercer too. He had a hell of a chin so I doubt Ruddock would stop him, plus he could really crack. His conditioning and lack of activity hurt him a lot, but I think he'd get to Razor at some point.

Yeah Mercer UD or late stoppage sounds about right.

Ruddock was fun to watch but massively limited (though you'd never credit it watching him vs Mike Weaver, before he fell in love with his power: he was an up-on-his-toes jabber with almost frenetic movement, though still with basically no defence). Mercer on the other hand had fantastically solid fundamentals but was fat & lazy & unpredictable (getting outworked by Marion Wilson & next fight going to Hell & back with Holyfield).

Difficult one to pick but if I had to bet I'd say that Ruddock would eventually find a way to lose, as he often managed to against top-drawer guys, before Mercer ran out of steam/ideas. Mercer often seemed to pull out his best performances versus genuinely dangerous foes (Holyfield, Lewis, Morrison).

Probably be fun to watch, too.

PS: I think the best Mercer "what if" is from the aborted Bruno fight that would've been on the Hong Kong card that never happened (Billy Schwer vs Rafa Ruelas headlining & Herbie Hide vs Tommy Morrison on the card, too!). I can't help thinking Mercer would've done him, late on.

Mercer via late KO after Ruddock gesses out. Scorecards fairly even by the time Roddock is knocked out.

lets not forget, Mercer had a tendency to come in fat and out of shape so this all really comes down to him. Razor for the most part showed up ( That Lennox loss thougho_O). I think its a pretty darn close fight

Back