Ray Peat's diet

PubliusVentidius

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard about it? And maybe tried it? Basicly it's really focused around optimizing your thyroid functions and around hormonal balance.

Some of the guidelines are a bit..shall I say...''controversial''; for example he pretty much considers salads and most vegetables ''junk food'' due to the natural toxins in them that far outweight the benefits, the salad he recommends the most is raw carrots with vinegar and coconut oil. He avoids all grains. He avoids fatty fish. He limits muscle meat, preferring organ meat.
He avoids PUFAs like the plague, that means avoiding nuts, seeds, most vegetable oils, fish oil etc. He also avoids starches and prefers fruits to potatoes for his carbs needs. He eats a shitload of dairy and milk as far as I understand, and gelatine and fruit (orange juice in particular is a staple food in his diet), he also advocates raw carrots for breakfast and has a favorable view of coffee.
This is an excerpt from a thread on his forum:

''- dairy, fruit and meat are the core of his diet.

dairy for the protein, calcium, and other nutrients
fruits (or other sugars as 2nd choice) for the KAs and EAAs
gelatin to balance the aminos and to replace the need for eating
animal brains and other organs muscle meat as a supplement for
protein magnesium, etc.

- he gets from 120 to 150 grams of protein per day. Doesn't feel quite
right when he goes as low as 100. A few quarts of milk, several ounces
of cheese, gelatin in some form (broth, chicharrones, gummy bears,
etc.), at least a quart of orange juice (or equivalent other fruit),
and the occasional (rotating) eggs, shellfish, fish, and beef, bison,
or lamb, in one or two of his meals.

- says one must always balance protein with sugar (fruit being the
best) because protein alone lowers blood sugar and you need the sugar
to better metabolize the protein. So when he eats protein, he eats
sugar with it: about 1:1 fruit to meat, and about 2:1 fruit to cheese.

- says best to limit meat due to the tryptophan and antimetabolic
properties, but it can be handled if consumed with fruit and gelatin.
He does eat meat almost every day, or just beef or lamb broth When
the meat is aged he doesn't like the taste so he doesn't eat much of it.

- he avoids most vegetables due to their intrinsic (defensive) toxins.
He occasionally makes leaf broth for some extra minerals, but usually
prefers for a cow to process them for him. Mainly he thinks of them as
condiments.

- underground (root/tuber) vegetables are okay if cooked for about 40
minutes, and fruit-vegetables (tomatoes, peppers) are okay if you're
not allergic to them.

- he avoids all other above-ground vegetables, including greens and
many herbs (basil, etc) due to toxins (even if cooked) that far
outweigh the benefits.

- says that cooked young squashes are generally good for everyone, and
although raw shredded carrots are "nutrient subtractive," it's good to
have a plate of them every day because they lower estrogen (and thus
stimulate the thyroid) and accelerate peristalsis.''

Last edited:
That's fI'll pseudoscience. Never go full pseudoscience.

That's a meme diet if I ever saw one.

Sounds like an odd version of what we call the ketogenic diet today. It isn't something I personally would want to follow. I'm not much of a fan of milk products.

In the past, 200 to 300 years ago, some doctors in Europe would advocate an all milk product diet. Basically followers ate as much cheese, butter, whey and cream as desired. It was said to cure being overweight, epilepsy, and a host of other conditions.

One of the better know promoters of the milk diet was Dr. George Cheyne. His writings are likely still around today.

Sounds like an odd version of what we call the ketogenic diet today. It isn't something I personally would want to follow. I'm not much of a fan of milk products.

In the past, 200 to 300 years ago, some doctors in Europe would advocate an all milk product diet. Basically followers ate as much cheese, butter, whey and cream as desired. It was said to cure being overweight, epilepsy, and a host of other conditions.

One of the better know promoters of the milk diet was Dr. George Cheyne. His writings are likely still around today.

Milk isn't keto. It's a really weird diet that doesn't make any sense though.

Yeah it has nothing to do with the ketogenic diet (which is a diet only good for fucking up your heart and liver in the long run). Btw Peat himself (who has a Phd in biology and was an endocrinologist) never really advocated any diet, it's mostly people reading his blog articles and extrapolating from that to be honest, maybe there is a lot of misinterpreted stuff and he wouldn't advocate the guidelines his followers put together (the ones I copy pasted in the opening post from a forum post), there are a lot of diverging views even among his followers.
I do find his articles well-researched and stimulating, I still take them with a grain of salt ofc and I want to fact-check some of the stuff I found compelling when I have more time. Anyway, for sure he aint your average brotard ''hey carbs are bad, gorge on fats yo, buy my bulletproof coffee at a discount!''. As a matter of fact he's against eating a high fat/low carb diet, nothing to do with that keto/paleo stuff.

By the way so far the only thing I have adopted into my diet are the raw carrots (200 grams) in the morning, and I'm going to the shittah a lot more, which is good (I don't poop everyday usually, now I even poop twice a day, sorry for the details ahah). They do stimulate peristalsis big time. <20>

''Two hundred grams of raw carrot eaten at breakfast each day for 3 weeks significantly reduced serum cholesterol by 11%, increased fecal bile acid and fat excretion by 50%, and modestly increased stool weight by 25%. This suggests an associated change in bacterial flora or metabolism. The changes in serum cholesterol, fecal bile acids, and fat persisted 3 weeks after stopping treatment.'' http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/32/9/1889.abstract

Back