Ravens Flock: "THE DEFENSE STRIKES BACK" edition | Page 14

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by HUNTERMANIA, Aug 19, 2017.

1. HUNTERMANIA "I felt it."

HUNTERMANIA

Not good for the Ravens. Need to keep DeCosta -- he'd be fucking great for the Packers tho. I thought they were safe in keeping him after the Giants and Browns job got filled, but I guess not.

iwhoopedbatman likes this.
  2. HUNTERMANIA "I felt it."

HUNTERMANIA
    Also, Joe Flacco will have an actual QB coach now, hopefully to help with his mechanics - James Urban... who was the WR coach in cinci for the past 7 years? and before that the QB coach with Marty in Philly. So, I guess it's a reunion of those two (Marty/Urban).

"Urban spent the past seven years as the Cincinnati Bengals’ wide receivers coach. Prior to that, he was the Philadelphia Eagles’ quarterbacks coach in 2009 and 2010, when he helped direct Pro Bowl seasons for Donovan McNabb (’09) and Michael Vick (’10). In 2010, Vick earned NFL Comeback Player of the Year honors and was the NFC starter in the Pro Bowl."

“I want to win football games, do what it takes to win football games and put people in place to win football games,” Urban continued. “The Ravens are about tough, physical, disciplined football, and those are appealing things to me. Obviously, Marty and I coached together for seven years, and he has guided me in many ways – in terms of what I believe about quarterback play and offensive play. I am really excited to be back with Marty and to go to work.” -- James Urban

https://russellstreetreport.com/2018/01/05/ravens-press-releases/ravens-coaching-moves/

3. iwhoopedbatman Fox Hunter Extraordinaire

iwhoopedbatman
    DeCosta needs to stay. He's supposed to take over once Ozzie retires.

Pagano for DC? I guess. I know he's supposed to be a good DC, but Indy's defense has been abysmal while he's been there.

Apparently Marty keeps his job, which is annoying, but not surprising. This franchise values consistency (even though they've had a rotating door in that position since Joe and John have been here).

HUNTERMANIA likes this.
  4. iwhoopedbatman Fox Hunter Extraordinaire

iwhoopedbatman
    So who off this Alabama defense is Ozzie going to draft this year?

5. HUNTERMANIA "I felt it."

HUNTERMANIA
    I just saw this post on another forum, not sure if its comprehensive or not, but it paints a good picture, IMO, of what has been wrong with the Ravens --- the defense loses games late every. fucking. year.

-----------------------
    Here's what it is...in black and white.

No lost 4th quarter leads.

2012 - Pees walks in the building

Bal 23 Phi 24 late 4th, Eagles score 7 with 1:55 left.

Pit 23 Bal 20 lost in 4th, Steelers FG on last play, Batch qb

Bal 28 Was 31 late in 4th, Redskins score 8 with 29 second left to tie, lost in OT

Bal 17 Cin 23 lost in 4th, with under 9 minutes, Tyrod our qb, meaningless game

Bal 16 Pit 19 lost on last drive, FG with no time remaining.

Bal 20 Chi 23 lost in OT

Cin 23 Bal 16 late 4th, Green 77TD with 4:58 left.

Bal 13 Ind 20 actually tied, but lost in 4th, Luck TD with 8:56 left.

Bal 24 Cin 27 late 4th, Dalton TD with 57 seconds left.

SD 34 Bal 33 late 4th, Rivers TD with 38 seconds left.

playoffs

Bal 31 NE 35 ahead in 4th, gave up two 14 point leads.

Bal 33 Oak 37 late 4th, Carr TD with 26 seconds left.

Cin 28 Bal 24 late 4th, Green TD with 2:10 left.

Cle 33 Bal 30 late 4th, loss 5 point lead with 3:15 left, but tie it up, but lose in OT

Jax 22 Bal 20 late 4th, Jags FG with no time remaining.

Oak 28 Bal 27 late 4th, Carr TD with 2:12 left.

Bal 23 NYG 27 late 4th, Beckham 66TD with 1:24 left.

Bal 27 Pit 31 late 4th, Brown TD with less than 10 seconds left.

Chi 27 Bal 24 in OT, give up a 79 yard drive and the winning FG to a rookie QB.

Bal 38 Pit 39 Defense gives up 19 points and the lead in 4th quarter.

Cin 31 Bal 27 Defense gives up 49 yard TD on 4th and 12 with 53 seconds left.

Pees walks out of the building.

Here's hoping the new DC can actually put his defensive players in a position to succeed and not repeat the same mistakes since 2012.
    ----------

Hopefully Don 'Wink' Martindale is a big improvement. It seems like the talent is there but the players are not put in position to succeed or make technical errors.

AND, here's hoping that MULTIPLE offensive playmakers are brought in at the WR and TE positions thru the draft and FA.
    Players that win their one-on-one battles and can catch the freaking ball.

6. iwhoopedbatman Fox Hunter Extraordinaire

iwhoopedbatman
    It has been infuriating watching the defense fail so many times late in games in recent years. The only thing I can say in their defense is that they have often been exhausted by an offense that can't stay on the field and also put in shitty situations because of the offense going too conservative too soon. However, this never used to be a problem back in the days of the great Raven defenses.

This year's defense was not as good as they looked at times though. They bullied shitty offenses, shitty QBs and back up QBs, but they weren't really as good as those numbers looked. Against real offenses, they looked overmatched and incapable of forcing the turnovers that carried them when they feasted on lesser competition. They need better pressure and they need CBs who can stay on the fucking field.

I am definitely excited to see what this next season brings. Just let the injury bug move on to some other team please.