Ravens Flock: "RETURN OF THE OFFENSE" 2019 edition

Andrews, Hollywood and most prominently Lamar were without question the stars of this game. Lamar really impressed me. Yeah, he started throwing a few (really just 3) bad passes in the second half, but his poise and decision making were outstanding. And he had a lot more good throws than poor ones. I also love that he was running out of bounds and avoiding the big hits when he could. If he can stay healthy and continues to work like he has this past year, he is going to be a truly excellent player. He looked like a vet in full control of the game and the three of them ensured they never trailed, even if they were getting slowed down in the second half.

What's up with Boykin? He was so lost he even lined up on the wrong side of the field a few times. He looked out of sorts and was making mental mistakes we didn't even see in preseason.

Coaches have got to sure up the penalties. After the secondary, that was my other biggest worry yesterday. 10 flags is a lot anyway (plus a couple got declined), but it just seemed like they all came at terrible times. Twice for 12 on the field on defense on the same drive? And how many illegal formations? That shit simply can't happen. These are not heat of the moment holds or something, they're 100% mental errors. Coaches need to look in the mirror and recognize that's on them and then also get in the team's collective ass about it.

I was supremely bothered by the play of the secondary yesterday. They looked like the weak spot on the defense. I can understand having trouble with the slot at times, especially if quick cut guys are in there, but they were just leaving guys open downfield by 10-20 yards. Most of Murray's big pass plays were terrible duck throws that he just lobbed up there. Sometimes the receiver was so open it didn't matter, others the DBs just didn't seem to find the ball and didn't make a play on it. Most of them should have been broken up if not picked outright. Credit where it's due, they had several possessions where they were locked in and that included the final minutes after Arizona made it a one possession game, but they were pissing me off all day. I don't know if it's the zone scheme or the personnel, but they played some of the worst zone I've ever seen a Ravens team play yesterday. They were mostly fine in man coverage.

Yeah, I'm definitely worried about the secondary going into the game against KC. I thought about switching my pick to KC, but I'll keep it with BAL for now :) Jimmy Smith being limited and Tavon Young being out definitely hurts though.

Ravens 28 - 33 Chiefs
Season: 2-1

Honestly, I felt the game was really close and turned on a few penalties. 1) the mysterious holding call that brought back Gus The Bus' run of 45 yards and killed that drive. 2) The PI on Tony Jefferson on the play that Mahomes was intercepted. I feel like without those calls, the Ravens win. Lamar was like over-excited or something, he was overthrowing balls left and right, but I also thought there was good coverage on a lot of plays and the best play he could make was to throw it away. I still feel good about the season.

One thing I really liked was when Lamar Jackson decided to go out of bounds instead of diving head-first into the endzone for a 2pt conversion. His health is more important than 2 points or even a touchdown (unless it's the playoffs/superbowl), but I thought that was a great sign for his availability in the future.

^^probably not going to see this situation change any time soon. We were worried about it before the season and it's manifesting now (lack of a pass rush)

Last edited:
Offensive Grades:

Mark Ingram II - 86.6
Gus Edwards - 86.4
Marshal Yanda - 85.0
Ronnie Stanley - 84.6
Nick Boyle - 81.2
Matt Skura - 74.9
Bradley Bozeman - 72.4
Chris Moore - 69.7
Patrick Ricard - 64.7
Marquise Brown - 63.4
Orlando Brown Jr - 63.3
Seth Roberts - 62.1
Hayden Hurst - 60.0
Willie Snead IV - 59.1
Miles Boykin - 50.4
Justice Hill - 43.5
Lamar Jackson - 35.0 (OUCH)

Defensive Grades:

Michael Pierce - 75.4
Maurice Canady - 72.0
Marlon Humphrey - 70.3
Chris Wormley - 67.5
Brandon Carr - 66.4
Brandon Williams - 63.6
Chuck Clark - 62.2
Earl Thomas III - 58.7
Jaylon Ferguson - 55.7
Anthony Levine - 52.2
Tyus Bowser - 51.7
Kenny Young - 49.5
Patrick Ricard - 48.6
Tony Jefferson - 48.6
Pernell McPhee - 47.4
Chris Board - 45.3
Patrick Onwuasor - 44.2
Matthew Judon - 44.0
Tim Williams - 41.9
Anthony Averett - 36.5

Pretty bad grades all around on the defensive side of the ball.

Feeling pretty excited after that total team win. I think the defense is back

Back