Locked Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.15

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Last House on the Left (2009)

The_Last_House_On_The_Left_Promotional_Poster.jpg

This is a shocking but pretty good revenge thriller if you can handle the gore and violence.

7/10 - "B-"

Dillahunt was fantastic in that movie. The cast and acting took it from something that would have been completely forgettable and mediocre to quite a good movie.

Man of Steel (2013)

220px-ManofSteelFinalPoster.jpg

People are generally either hot or cold on this movie. I fall in the camp of people who really like it. It is easily the best film in the DC EU, and the best Superman film made to date. I really don't get how Zack Snyder nailed it with this film but bombed so hard with Batman Vs. Superman.

It's a great origin story from start to finish. Michael Shannon's Zod was different but still a very interesting and believable incarnation of the character. I kinda wish we got to hear the words "kneel before Zod" uttered at some point though.

My only truly noteworthy criticism would be why it was ever necessary to terraform Earth. Could Zod and his minions not just terraformed Mars instead to spare all those human lives?

9.5/10 - "A"

I'm also in the camp that liked the film. Not "9.5 out of 10" liked it, but I also think it's the best film in the DCEU and prefer it to the vast, vast majority of Marvel movies.

The Hitman's Bodyguard -
Pretty fun, I was in the mood for some silly humour after watching the Deadpool 2 teaser and this fit pretty well. I would say the weakest part of the movie was the cookie cutter action sequences. Overall, it was a good watch though and I'd recommend it to anyone that enjoys Buddy Cop films.

8/10

Logan Lucky 6.876/10

It's literally Oceans Eleven with Rednecks. Overall a pretty entertaining Sunday watch, the character Joe Bang (Daniel Craig) was particularly fun.

A Cure for Wellness.

I usually hate these weird ass horror movies but this one wasn't too bad.

The scenery alone made a the movie watchable. Set in the Swiss Alps, almost every scene is gorgeous.

The plot was silly but I expected it. Acting was alright. Movie was hella long though. Its a 2 and 1/2 hour long movie.

7/10

The Great Wall (2016)

The_Great_Wall_%28film%29.png

This was a shitfest from start to finish. The action sequences were well-choreographed, but the story had no substance and some things that happened were outright dumb.

4/10 - "D+"

The Great Wall (2016)

The_Great_Wall_%28film%29.png

This was a shitfest from start to finish. The action sequences were well-choreographed, but the story had no substance and some things that happened were outright dumb.

4/10 - "D+"

Saw it in theatres. Way to much time/money on my hands lol.
The costume design was the main highlight. Gorgeous designs.
Damon was cringeworthy. In this day and age and still with the white savior stuff.

Manchester by the Sea - 4/10

It's well acted, and the story is well plotted, but it's otherwise drab and lifeless. Doesn't help that the directing is uninspiring.

It's like "On the Waterfront" without any of the social relevance or sincere human interest, just two and a half hours of watching a sad sack jerk continually be a sad sack jerk. Can't remember the last time I've seen a movie that was so droningly one note in its portrayal of "ordinary people."

Ultimately, it's neither entertaining nor enlightening. Just a meditation on misery and self loathing.

Moonlight - 8/10

Technically, the performances and screenplay were very good, and the direction and cinematography top notch, making a visually vivid movie that was entertaining despite being downbeat.

Simply a really lovely and thought provoking movie about a young man, into his adulthood, trying to find his identity and place in the world. I really loved how the protags sexual identity, broken relationship with his mom, and fatherlessness were interwoven to create a three dimension portrait of an ostensibly gay man. It didn't reduce him to just being a sexual creature.

Free Fire (2016)

A master class in establishing lots of characters you won't give a flying fuck about. An attempt at Reservoir Dogs with boring dialogue and boring people. I didn't bother finishing it.

A real waste of time for a number of good actors.

It was on track for a 4.5 or so.

Ill Be Home For Christmas -- 6/10. Obviously was better when I was a kid, but still holds plenty of charm

"Even the rain doesn't have such small hands" is one of the most LOL lines in movie history too

Mayhem: Rip roaring virus makes you crazy, quarantined building premise. Not original but gnarly kinetic violence and sex passes the time in fun fashion.

Freaks on Nature 6.7/10

This is comedy alien invasion monster movie which doesn’t take itself seriously. If you want a brainless fun watch with some laughs this is it. Mackenzie Davis shows a little ass and I’m crushing on her big time.

Saw It (2017) last night. I thought it was really good but damn... It was way darker than what I was expecting.

Fast & Furious (2009)

Fast_and_Furious_Poster.jpg

I had never seen a Fast & Furious film before. I saw that this one was available On Demand through HBO, so I figured I would give it a whirl. It wasn't as awful as I thought it would be, but it was still lacking in substance. I'm really not sure why these movies are so popular.

5/10 - "C-"

Three Billboards Outside Ebbings Missouri (2017) - 9/10

Excellent movie, very funny, super dark, and unpredictable. I really dug it. Best movie I have seen in a while.

Justice League (2017) - 7/10

I'm not big on super hero movies but I thought this was pretty entertaining and definitely an above average super hero movie. Much better than The Avengers imo.

Justice League (2017) - 7/10

I'm not big on super hero movies but I thought this was pretty entertaining and definitely an above average super hero movie. Much better than The Avengers imo.

I enjoyed Justice League too, but "better than The Avengers" it was not. That is a pretty bold claim.

I enjoyed Justice League too, but "better than The Avengers" it was not. That is a pretty bold claim.

I thought the avengers was a pretty bad movie tbh, took me a few different viewings to finish it.

FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM

While I'm no Harry Potter fan -- I only like 1.2 of the films -- I enjoyed this one tremendously. Any movie where they've got a gimmick where the inside of a thing is larger than the outside -- you've pretty much won me over. There's two things that do that here. I eat that shit for breakfast.

giphy.gif

Redmayne continues to do interesting things with his characters; I heard Nicolas Hoult was also up for the role, whom I enjoy a great deal -- but, I feel like he would have come off much like his Hank McCoy character. Hoult's got a bit more warm accessibility to him, which I feel makes Redmayne the better choice since Newt Scamander is the kind of fella that's hard to like (but you still do).

Josh Gad is Paula Giamatti-lite. Samantha Morton sadly wasted in another ugly role but as always serviceable. And from INHERENT VICE to ALIEN COVENANT, Katherine Waterson somehow went from looking pretty damn hot to well, essentially, her father Sam Waterson in what seems to be a very short span of films.

Last I might be in love with Queenie Goldstein. I dug the little touches, like how together with her sister they were "Teenie and Queenie."
0b771315b1c062337f5dd031abc659f9de5baf91_hq.gif

I also like how Colin Farrell was totally doing Johnny Depp the entire time.

Free Fire (2016)

I didn't bother finishing it.
Lucky. FREE FIRE is a prime example of the kind of movie I hate: where you can see there might have been something good here, which make its failings all the more egregious. I too picked up on THE RESERVOIR DOGS inspiration, and liken it to how PULP FICTION's Jules Winnfield speech inspired BOONDOCK SAINTS.

I feel like a better example of this type of movie was WELCOME TO COLLINWOOD.
146552_full.jpg

Power Rangers (2017) It wasn't quite as bad as I expected it to be but it was cheesy as expected. The villian was just terrible. My 7 year old son loved it, but I would give it a generous 5/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back