Rank Top 5 TUF Coaches

1. Chael
2. Mayhem
3. Chuck
4. Mir
5. Cheeto Ortiz

Honestly hard to make this list, leaving guys like Faber, Cruz, BJ and Jens off it

:icon_lol: at several guys listing Koscheck as one of the worst coaches. I get that people don't like him, and he was definitely trying a bit too hard on the show to be funny and GSP was so wooden he couldn't bait him into anything interesting, but as a coach, Koscheck was doing a good job. Koscheck's biggest problem was that he and his guys from AKA picked a terrible team, while GSP had Greg Jackson actually coaching the team, so they spotted all the best talent on the show.

I think pulver doesn't get enough credit for how good he did on TUF 5. 3 of his fighters were the final 4. And 5 produced the more great fighters than any other season IMO. He seemed to really bond with them and tell them the right things at the right time even tho 90% if the guys wanted openly to be on bj's team.

I've said it for a while. Jens is a better coach than he is a fighter (right now, not his early career). He really needs to start coaching because he was very good at it to say his team didn't really want to be on his team.

chael ... he impressed me with his pep talks and fight picks
gsp ... for trolling kos into picking his boy
franklin .. for forfeiting the scarecrow challenge and his take a knee approach as a guest coach
serra ... had good rapport with his team
tito ... for making spaghetti and meatsauce for his team

:icon_lol: at several guys listing Koscheck as one of the worst coaches. I get that people don't like him, and he was definitely trying a bit too hard on the show to be funny and GSP was so wooden he couldn't bait him into anything interesting, but as a coach, Koscheck was doing a good job. Koscheck's biggest problem was that he and his guys from AKA picked a terrible team, while GSP had Greg Jackson actually coaching the team, so they spotted all the best talent on the show.

I remember him playing with his cell phone ignoring his team during practice time. And generally showing a lack of interest once he started losing.

He picked a bad team, then just gave up on them. Selfish. Considering how he got his start, it was particularly inexcusable.

I stand by what I said, he was a bad coach. More interested in verbal sparring with GSP and air time for himself than coaching. He didn't care about his team at all.

To me, a good coach is partly about preparing his guys for the UFC-whether or not they win the show.

gsp ... for trolling kos into picking his boy
That was all Jackson and company, not GSP.

GSP was an awful coach. Mostly because he didn't coach at all.

However, he very cleverly brought Greg Jackson along to do all the coaching, so in that sense of it, his team was very fortunate to be picked by him and you could argue recognizing his limitations as a coach and letting Jackson take the reigns could make him a good coach, in relation to TUF.

As far as picking Stevens, he actually seemed like a good pick. There was no way to know his fight IQ was fairly poor against the submission. He had no losses by submission coming in, and fairly good power. Ultimately, on paper, he was as good of a pick as Johnson or Brookins. Koscheck's bad picks on that show came after Stevens, when he took Sevak instead of Brookins. However, both teams slept on Nam Phan when he was easily one of the most experienced guys there.

I remember him playing with his cell phone ignoring his team during practice time.
And another one falls for clever editing. Plenty of times on the show, Koscheck was shown giving his guys good advice and good coaching. I would put him pretty much in the middle of the pack as far as TUF coaches. But that's also because I don't carry any irrational hatred for Koscheck because of his fighter persona or personality.

Hey guys!
I've found THE Koscheck fan!
So you can know what GSP was all about from what you saw but what we saw about Koscheck was pure editing and he was a god outside of the edition?

Hey guys!
So you can know what GSP was all about from what you saw but what we saw about Koscheck was pure editing and he was a god outside of the edition?

There WAS an untelevised scene where he sits down with the male nurse and bangs it out with him.

Oh, and don't change Chael's one liners and use them as your own.

Last edited:
I thought Chael, Tito and Shad were excellent. All cared about the development of their fighters and it was evident.

Hey guys!

What?? Where??

Edit: Does he motorboat too?

Chael, Rashad, Tito, Miller, Pulver, Hughes.

I can't make a top 5, but the guys above stood out in my memory as guys that are not only notable fighters, but are outstanding coaches and capable of turning good fighters into contenders given time.

1. Mayhem
2. Chael
3. Cruz
4. GSP
5. Rashad

Chael had some great speeches and such, but I loved Miller's coaching when the fighters were in the Octagon and feel he did it a bit better than the rest of the coaches..he talked a lot and would walk his fighters through step-by-step a lot of times. Instead of "you've got the kimura, go for it!" from most coaches, Miller was more of a "Now let's get the Kimura. Slide your hand down his wrist just a little bit. There you go.. pull your elbow out just a bit. Nice... now move your right leg.." etc.

Hey guys!
I think you're confused.

But you're French, so it's not surprising. This is a forum about combat sports.

Mayhem, Sonnen, Ortiz, GSP and Liddell, in no particular order

Back