Rank the talent on TUF 17

Selukrid612

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Now that we've seen most of the season unfold I was wondering how you guys would rank the competitors from this season based on the level they were at in the house. Not potential, strictly where they stood among their other competitors while they were in the house. I'm thinking something like this:

Uriah Hall
Josh Samman
Dylan Andrews
Luke Barnatt
Jimmy Quinlan
Kelvin Gastelum
Clint Hester
Tor Troeng
Colin Hart
Zak Cummings
Gilbert Smith, Jr.
Adam Cella
Bubba McDaniel
Kevin Casey

I would put Kelvin Gastelum ahead of Luke and Jimmy.

I would put Kelvin Gastelum ahead of Luke and Jimmy.
I thought about it, but I remember his fight with Bubba being pretty competitive and I don't think a whole lot of Bubba.

I thought about it, but I remember his fight with Bubba being pretty competitive and I don't think a whole lot of Bubba.

I think you're coloring your perception of Bubba's skills with the same brush you use for his personality.

Fact of the matter is, he's a vet with loads of experience (and a good record) on Kelvin, and the younger fighter still managed to take him out.

Add to the fact that Kelvin is still in the competition while Luke and Jimmy are not, and putting them ahead of him makes little sense.

Uriah Hall
Kelvin Gastelum
Josh Samman
Dylan Andrews
Jimmy Quinlan
Clint Hester
Luke Barnatt
Colin Hart
Bubba McDaniel
Zak Cummings
Tor Troeng
Gilbert Smith, Jr.
Adam Cella
Kevin Casey

That's my list. I do not like Bubba at all, but come on man you can't put him below a bunch of one and dones. I am probably putting Hester too high, but I can live with it. Barnatt did not impress me at all. I think his record is more a product of his size than his skill level. I thought he looked pretty sloppy.

Uriah Hall
Kelvin Gastelum
Clint Hester
Josh Samman
Dylan Andrews

I think you're coloring your perception of Bubba's skills with the same brush you use for his personality.

Fact of the matter is, he's a vet with loads of experience (and a good record) on Kelvin, and the younger fighter still managed to take him out.

Add to the fact that Kelvin is still in the competition while Luke and Jimmy are not, and putting them ahead of him makes little sense.
Bubba doesn't even really bother me that much. He's annoying, but he doesn't get to me like he seems to get to get to other people. I just don't think he's that good. He looked really sloppy against Kelvin and he looked like absolute shit against Casey who most would probably agree was the worst guy in the house. He simply hasn't shown me anything.

The fact that Kelvin is still in the competition while they aren't is irrelevant, they had different matchups. Kelvin could have easily lost to Dylan or Josh as well. If he beats Josh next week, or even gives him a tougher fight I'd obviously bump him up. We'll see.

Uriah Hall
Kelvin Gastelum
Josh Samman
Dylan Andrews
Jimmy Quinlan
Clint Hester
Luke Barnatt
Colin Hart
Bubba McDaniel
Zak Cummings
Tor Troeng
Gilbert Smith, Jr.
Adam Cella
Kevin Casey

That's my list. I do not like Bubba at all, but come on man you can't put him below a bunch of one and dones. I am probably putting Hester too high, but I can live with it. Barnatt did not impress me at all. I think his record is more a product of his size than his skill level. I thought he looked pretty sloppy.
Bubba was losing to the guy we both have ranked last. Maybe I do have him too low though, it's tough to rank some of these guys. I don't have a problem with where you have him. I agree with you about Barnatt, I've been saying there's not a ton of skill to go with his size and scrappiness, but a lot of the guys on the show don't have the skills to overcome it. The guys in the UFC do.

Bubba doesn't even really bother me that much. He's annoying, but he doesn't get to me like he seems to get to get to other people. I just don't think he's that good. He looked really sloppy against Kelvin and he looked like absolute shit against Casey who most would probably agree was the worst guy in the house. He simply hasn't shown me anything.
I'll give you this...

The fact that Kelvin is still in the competition while they aren't is irrelevant, they had different matchups. Kelvin could have easily lost to Dylan or Josh as well. If he beats Josh next week, or even gives him a tougher fight I'd obviously bump him up. We'll see.
How is it irrelevant?

He dominated his fights, and is still in the competition, and the other two are not.

He won all of his fights, and the other two did not.

Based on the only non-subjective criteria of their performances, Kelvin is ahead of Luke and Jimmy.

I think Zak Cummings is one of the worst. Dude won his intro fight with a flash KO and just displayed the Fight IQ of a Melvin Guillard-Palhares love child.

Uriah Hall
Kelvin Gastelum
Clint Hester
Josh Samman
Dylan Andrews

I'll agree Clint has the potential to be better than Josh and Dylan, but it's pretty obvious he needs to round his game up before being considered better than Dylan and Josh. Clint just has hands and he didn't even have a clue of what to do once he got on his back

Last edited:
Yeah I think it should be taken into account Kelvin is one guy who is definitely a WW. And the rawest and least experienced guy. Also not sure if it means anything but Uriah finished two of the worst guys and Josh two of the better guys.

I'll give you this...

How is it irrelevant?

He dominated his fights, and is still in the competition, and the other two are not.

He won all of his fights, and the other two did not.

Based on the only non-subjective criteria of their performances, Kelvin is ahead of Luke and Jimmy.
Again, they had different matchups, so one guy isn't necessarily better because he advanced further. It's like if the UFC had a MW tournament where Bisping fought Buddy Roberts and Yushin Okami fought Anderson Silva. Bisping isn't necessarily better because he had an easier match-up.

Yeah I think it should be taken into account Kelvin is one guy who is definitely a WW. And the rawest and least experienced guy. Also not sure if it means anything but Uriah finished two of the worst guys and Josh two of the better guys.

I didn't see anything special in Tor. I liked Jimmy, but he takes too many shots to the head. A gifted grappler, but he won't go anywhere unless he can figure out how to avoid the damage.

I'm not sure what we can say about Adam. He could be awesome but we'll never know because he ate that kick. And like I said, I don't like Bubba at all, but he is a Jackson guy and trains regularly with the best in the world. Kind of funny out of everyone he was the guy scared of Uriah.

People really don't give Kelvin enough credit. The guy has looked good in all of his fights, shown solid grappling (despite what keyboard warriors say), and scored an impressive KO. He took on one of the strongest guys in the house (on paper, at least) and choked him out, and destroyed the guy who may have been the best grappler.

Bear in mind as well that he is the youngest competitor ever at 21 years old, so there's tons of upside when it comes to his opportunities to grow as a fighter.

only really see hall in a top 20 185, bubba would be next but wont last to long.

only really see hall in a top 20 185, bubba would be next but wont last to long.

Bubba has proven himself to be far too much of a head case to ever be a contender, unless he makes some major progress with a sport psychologist, therapist, etc.

Hall
Kelvin
Dylan
Barnatt
Sammon
Cella
Clint
Hart
Quinlan
Tor
Gilbert
Bubba
Zak
Casey
I personally think Cella was doing really well until the Kick and think that would have put anyone away.

Back