Randy Couture: Brock Lesnar Has 10 Inches of Reach on Me, I Didn't Anticipate That

popcorn_stephen_colbert.gif

It's still the same dude, I just change the design a bit to reflect my newly acquired homosexuality after seeing Paulo Costa weigh in for the first time in the nude. I wanted to use real penis instead of sausage but mods won't let me.
Mods on Sherdog are soft these days and became cans.

How could you not anticipate THIS guys reach advantage just by looking at him???

to this day, that still looks like a man vs boy match. brock is a fucking monster of a guy.

I’m going to assume he meant he didn’t anticipate the reach being a problem rather than he didn’t anticipate Brock having a significant reach advantage.

Might give you an idea at least

brock_lesnar_tim_sylvia.jpg

Wonder how accurate that is. Ufc stats are comically wrong at times and fluctuating. Ex. Carwin cutting height and fighters' reach changing between fights

When you look at this picture it’s hard to imagine Brock having a 1” longer reach.

I call bullshit.

I like Couture.

But does anyone else find it strange that he is regarded as "a master gameplanner", when his gameplan was seemingly always the same?
Maybe he always considered every strategy but then came to the conclusion that the best strategy was the usual strategy???

Ok so silvia’s Is 80”, borks is 81” and coutures is 75”

That’s only 6” difference and only 1 more than Silvia who he didn’t complain about.

Having fought Silvia previously that should t have been an issue

Sylvia and Brock don't exactly have the same set of skills... It's not the same fight.

Doesn't read like he is making an excuse to me, more admitting an error.

I can kind of see his point, Brock is so big that you can easy forget his length

Fighting someone who's 6"3 with wide shoulders

doesn't anticipate long reach

How could you not anticipate THIS guys reach advantage just by looking at him???

He really doesnt look like he has that much reach.

His arms arent that long, I think its the width of his shoulders that makes his reach.

It’s also of note that couture has a relatively short reach for a heavy weight seems most are 77-79”, at 75” for reference Matt Hughes is 73”
Or Conor 74, having only 1 inch on a FW haha.

"The thing that surprised me the most, and that I don't think I was prepared for -- and it's always an issue with any fighter -- is figuring out his range. He's got 10 inches of reach on me. I didn't anticipate that. I didn't think about it. I didn't know that tidbit of information, that his reach is what it was."

It's surprising that Couture would say he wasn't prepared for Lesnar's reach because Couture is known as the best game-planner in the MMA business. But apparently in all his preparations, he didn't find a sparring partner who could recreate the reach advantage Lesnar has.

After the jump, see Couture's Sherdog interview hours before the Lesnar fight.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2008/11...ck-lesnar-has-10-inches-of-reach-on-me-i-didn

Jesus Christ. Why not post the UFC 1 results

Last edited:
If he really didn’t anticipate that then he’s an idiot and shouldn’t be training anyone.

Sylvia and Brock don't exactly have the same set of skills... It's not the same fight.
No, but he acts like he wasn’t prepared for an exceptionally long reach, when he previously fought Silvia who is an much larger man in actuality. Maybe not heavier but much larger.

And on paper only has a 1” reach difference from Lesnar, but looking at picks of them together Silvia is much taller with much longer arms.

I think it’s silly to say he wasn’t prepared for the reach difference when he’s fought people with greater reach

Back