Rampage's record

elukuu

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Only 4 decisions in his first 16 fights. 12 decisions in his last 16 fights. Slampage was once a physical freak of nature, ragdolling beatches at will. Something in the ole noggin changed and he was / is no longer able to pull the trigger. Quantum leaps go both up and down.

people learned how to fight
Sure, however some of the fighters he slaughtered back in the day (Chuck, Arona, Hendo etc) were pretty bloody solid - even by todays standards. He just seemed to have the x-factor back then. Now, not so much..

He got old, lost the hunger and became one dimensional.

At least he can say that only Jones has finished him in those 16 fights.

He has had 50 fights against the very best in the world and is nearly 40 years old.

He's old so his body is wearing down, add to the fact that he never took training seriously. He'll go down as a legend and he'll always be one of my favorite fighters. I just feel that he could have been a lot better than he was if he took training seriously and had better coaches.

Fan of Rampage but 12 of his first 16 were in KOTC or regionals.

I think does not even care anymore. He just shows up for paychecks.

its simply age like every fighter on the planet... I can't wait to hear people talk about how Jon was never any good when he is 40 lol, if he doesnt blow himself up by then.

Only 4 decisions in his first 16 fights. 12 decisions in his last 16 fights. Slampage was once a physical freak of nature, ragdolling beatches at will. Something in the ole noggin changed and he was / is no longer able to pull the trigger. Quantum leaps go both up and down.
Strange, I had the very very very strange feeling about Ali:

7 dec in his 1sts 29 fights, b4 the suspension
18 dec in his last 32 fights, after

Ali must be way way way overrated too...

Sure, however some of the fighters he slaughtered back in the day (Chuck, Arona, Hendo etc) were pretty bloody solid - even by todays standards. He just seemed to have the x-factor back then. Now, not so much..

He didn't change much, really...

The Hendo fight was very close (there was a lot of controversy around here, and Quinton was bigger)
, and the Arona KO, as cool at it was (+ Arona was the only guy I disliked during the PRIDE days) it was caused by a head-butt, and Page had been flash-ko'd by Arona's kicks just before, so it's controversial.

Also, Rampage was not as dominant as that even back then, he didn't turn from a KO machine with that look in his eyes to a timid wrestler.
He made the same mistake in the King Mo rematch than he did in the Rashad bout.

"Old Rampage" also won several decisions that could have gone either way like:
-the Bustamante split decision (scored it for Murilo back then, and Quinton had some weight on him),
-the Ninja Rua fight, people tend to exaggerate it now but still, very close fight but Ninja should have gotten it
PRIDE didn't want to have 3 Chute Boxe guys (who were adamant about not fighting each others) in the tournament, so it might be a factor, who knows...
-the Matt Lindland split decision, it was the perfect definition of a draw, and in that case you tend to give it to the smaller fighter, Lindland in that case)

Then in the "modern era"
-7 years ago, a split decision against Machida.
-2 fights ago, split decision against Ishii

Rampage is a MMA pionner and had some great fights, but he got lucky all of his 5 split-decisions turned in his favor.

So Jackson has always been kind of consistent to me...

I have been watching rampage since his pride days and I can say that at one time he became a born again after vomiting black slime. He no longer walked out in a wolf mask and he toned things down. I believe there was a change after that.

With Chuck, Wand and other old-schoolers it was "KO or be KOed". Most modern fighters fight smart and are content with a UD.

Back