Rags to riches?

biomech

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Look I don't love or hate either fighter. I follow both MMA and Boxing. I admire Conor for what he's done in MMA and I like stand up fighting so great to see him bring that back to focus in MMA and show that it can compete and even beat the ground game. I cringe with Conor's trash talking and the levels that he goes to get into his opponent's head. Some admire that but I think if your technical ability is so good you don't need to drag things down like he does. Jumping over the ring at Aldo, keeps bringing in nationalities, racial undertones (Cholo, favelas), talks about rearranging his opponent's face so his family won't recognise them (Alvarez) etc. I also think the whole dancing monkeys thing in this upcoming fight was staged right from the interviewer asking him about Rocky III (WTF has this fight got to do with Rocky III???) and Conor readily answering by asking if that's the one with the dancing monkeys - the whole thing was setup. Then the "sing it for me beautiful Yaya (very weird and disrespectful to talk to an opponent's daughter (even if Floyd was an idiot bringing his daughter there) let alone an underage one. Then the whole "half black from waist down" and gyrating talking about giving love to his black female fans. Of course it's all just mind games and I don't actually think Conor is racist. But all very, very distasteful and I can only put it down to the fact that while his age might be 29, he's still very very emotionally immature. Even if it's all just trying to get a mental edge, it's distasteful even for a sport where they are trying to beat the crap out of each other. I hope that Conor does grow up though and becomes a fighter that not just the Irish and trashy support.

I also admire Floyd for his technical proficiency in boxing and his boxing IQ. Many find him boring to watch but they're just fans of guys punching each other and not the technical aspects of boxing.

Floyd is no hero with his history of domestic violence and jail time. While it seems that he has matured a lot since those days, that stigma is something he can never fully escape. Even besides that he's a rather distasteful dude, his recent interview where he talks about his Girl Collection strip club and how he started it because he knows that "breasts, vaginas, music and alcohol will never go out of style" was cringeworthy especially given there were women in the audience. Owning a strip a club, FFS. Dude has earned a billion dollars in his career and he invests it in strip clubs and gambling. Sure he's bought property and other investments, but having a daughter and running a strip club shows his class. He was very mature in this press conference but in his younger days he was a complete douche and his trash talking was just as bad as Conor's. Even against respectful opponents like Manny, he would be very disrespectful and that wasn't even that long ago. I think trash talk and mental games is an art form to do it within boundaries and I don't see either Floyd or Conor doing it well.

But this rags to riches story with Conor always gets me. Growing up in Dublin, having a working class job as a plumber but not being able to hack it so gives up, gets welfare from other hard working taxpayers (including plumbers), sleeps on his parent's couch and then lucking out that some nice father figure coach recognises your talent and nurtures it. How the fack is that rags to riches?? Of course he worked hard for it and believed in himself, that goes without saying and there is much credit to him for taking the risk. But it's not like he grew up in the hood and against all odds made it. Conor came from a fine working class family. When he was 5 years old, his parents bought a 3 br house with 2 bathrooms. When he was 13 they bought a 5 bedroom house. Five bedrooms! Does this look like facking rags to anyone?

2016-06-18_ent_21804333_I4.JPG

Read this article http://www.independent.ie/style/cel...of-the-notorious-ufc-star-conor-34803633.html and you can see how great a foundation Conor had. His parents are so well grounded and his father is great.

Meanwhile, Floyd was growing up 7 people in one room in a ghetto while his crack whore mother was constantly high. His father sold drugs then went to jail. Floyd was a baby and used as a human shield by own father when his uncle pulled out a gun and shot him. How f*cked up is that! His main advantage to where he is today is growing up in a boxing family having ready access to gym and training. But that's about it and no doubt it was that dire situation, that no doubt many hundreds and thousands face in the ghettos and which leads 99% of them to a drugs and crime, instead made him focus on his boxing.

So in summary while they're both douches in their own way and no doubt both are hard working and credit to them both for that, there is only one rags to riches story here and it aint' Conor McGregor.

With that haircut theres no other way than he came from money

wow..I'm too young but can any old timer tell me how it was when Ali "fought" Inoki? Was it as crazy as it is now? Media digging up their history, people calling the fight a scam etc? And Ali vs Inoki was an actual scam too. Result was a draw? wtf? Inoki on his back for the whole fight? lolol

Also, Mayweather has been rich for decades before this fight. He don't need this fight to make him rich. So whose rags to riches?

I think you underestimate the levels of poverty in inner city dublin. Would make many US Cities look like paradise. As a trainee plumber, Connor would be flat broke. As an unemployed person - even more so.

I don't really know Floyds story but his dad was a pro boxer and his uncle a world champion. I find it hard to believe they lived in poverty. Associated with some dodgy people perhaps, but flat broke? No chance.

Yet you still wasted time trying to think of a witty comment to reply. I'd guess that Floyd reads faster than you.

I'm just gonna go ahead and click the ignore button now.

You lasted almost two days, congrats.

Conor will have a Riches to Rags story tho once he gets KO'd back into obscurity just like Ronda!

I'm just gonna go ahead and click the ignore button now.

You lasted almost two days, congrats.

Ooh because I was really waiting for your fantastic replies. Face it, you looked like a douce with your BS reply. Some advice - you don't have to read people's posts, that's your right. But if you don't read it, don't actually comment on something you haven't read. It's very douchey.

Ooh because I was really waiting for your fantastic replies. Face it, you looked like a douce with your BS reply. Some advice - you don't have to read people's posts, that's your right. But if you don't read it, don't actually comment on something you haven't read. It's very douchey.

I didn't read it either. Deal with it.

I think you underestimate the levels of poverty in inner city dublin. Would make many US Cities look like paradise. As a trainee plumber, Connor would be flat broke. As an unemployed person - even more so.

I don't really know Floyds story but his dad was a pro boxer and his uncle a world champion. I find it hard to believe they lived in poverty. Associated with some dodgy people perhaps, but flat broke? No chance.

Then you've got no idea of their respective histories. Of course their is pretty bad poverty and family situations in Dublin but Conor came from a working class family and sure an apprentice plumber gets the shite jobs, shite hours and shite pay but it's certainly not flat broke. You have to remember that trades are an alternative to uni degrees where people that same age are still completely the final 2 years of high school and then going onto uni, where they actually have to pay a lot for their education. With a trade such as plumber, builder etc. at least they get a basic wage and it's enough for a 17-18 y.o who is basically living off his parents anyway. Conor just didn't like it so he decided to suck out off welfare which is the hard earned tax dollars of other people, like plumbers for example, who didn't suck out of welfare.

If you don't know Floyd's story, don't assume but actually take the time to read about it - there's enough info about both of them out there. I checked for both fighters though Floyd's is well known so surprised you didn't know. His father and uncle might have been pro boxers/champion but they didn't earn a lot back in those days and they pissed it all away. Floyd's snr's career was ruined when an own relative shot him in the leg (while Snr was holding Jnr!). 7 people living in one room is as shite as it gets in a developed country. I also wonder if the reason Floyd jnr has such great defence in his boxing is maybe because his father Snr used to routinely beat the crap out of him as punishment. His mother was a cocaine addict. His father spent almost 6 years in prison for drug charges.

Sorry mate, totally different class of growing up. One came from a fine upstanding working class Irish family where his parents held steady jobs and bought a 5 bedroom house (one for each of the kids, plus a spare room - very nice) and Conor was just a lazy shit no hoper until he found his passion, a great coach and a nice girl. While the other had boxing in his blood and family history but lived in a toxic environment where it's almost a miracle he didn't end up in drugs and crime.

I'm not saying anything about their qualities as people or fighters. Just that it's so fake when they talk about Conor's rags to riches story. Yeah it's amazing he's actually made it big in UFC where Dana routinely bends all the fighters over and has his way with them without vaseline. Credit to Conor that he's been able to copy Ali, Mayweather etc and bring something new to the UFC (which was old to boxing) and he's done it well to create the hype and done it well to back his talk up with successful fights. It's actually amazing this fight is actually happening and probably couldn't have happened if either Floyd or Conor were not part of the equation. Not just a fight but huge $$$$ too. Well done to both of them and their bank managers.

I didn't read it either. Deal with it.

LOL 've got no problem with you or anyone else not reading it nut hugger. I'm just calling you out for being so lame to actually waste your time posting to say you didn't read something. I bet you don't even realise how pathetic you are?

LOL 've got no problem with you or anyone else not reading it nut hugger. I'm just calling you out for being so lame to actually waste your time posting to say you didn't read something. I bet you don't even realise how pathetic you are?

Funny, I was posting to hint to you that you wasted your time writing this useless novel. I'm sure even you realize how pathetic you are though.

Funny, I was posting to hint to you that you wasted your time writing this useless novel. I'm sure even you realize how pathetic you are though.

I type like a muthafacka so don't worry about me wasting my time. Anyway someone already liked my post so even if one person liked it, I haven't wasted time. Anyway I know you've secretly read my long novel of a post. You've read it twice, b*tch.

Back