Quintet discussion thread

Not really surprising. Gordon is probably the best no-gi guy around, and he called it himself before the matches, that he was tapping them all.
Hes a level above.

Yeah Im finally watching it and Gordon just tapped barnett and souza back to back. what an animal.

I hope they do other kinds of styles in this format. I want combat wrestling quintet. I almost need it.

It would have to require a gi. Nobody sane would wear it if it was merely required.
BTW. gi sub only is a rule set that's super bad for judo guys. The days of Royce Gracie getting out jiu jitsued by a judo guy are long gone.

Its no worse for Judo guys than no gi where they are at an even bigger disadvantage. For example Koji Komuros best attacks are sode garuma jime from top half, and mount and juiji from side control. He wouldn't even be able to use them. All of them are very reliant on the gi. Sode ofcourse 100 percent reliant.

Yes I am aware of the current state of Jiu-Jitsu. Ofcourse the Judo guys have to spend most of their time training on the ground but that's what guys like Komuro and Yuki Nakai have done anyway. But no gi hold very little interest for me where leglocks are so important. Just doesn't interest me. I prefer the gi. If you're going to create a ruleset that is supposed to bring together all grappling style and you make it mandatory no gi then you've made it biased towards a group of grapples who train 100 percent of the time in the gi and 0 percent without it... Ofcourse they are going to lose.

They could separate it and have divisions for gi and no gi. Team battles for gi and no gi. That would cater to both sides of the spectrum. Also we could see Gordan in the gi!

Its no worse for Judo guys than no gi where they are at an even bigger disadvantage. For example Koji Komuros best attacks are sode garuma jime from top half, and mount and juiji from side control. He wouldn't even be able to use them. All of them are very reliant on the gi. Sode ofcourse 100 percent reliant.

Yes I am aware of the current state of Jiu-Jitsu. Ofcourse the Judo guys have to spend most of their time training on the ground but that's what guys like Komuro and Yuki Nakai have done anyway. But no gi hold very little interest for me where leglocks are so important. Just doesn't interest me. I prefer the gi. If you're going to create a ruleset that is supposed to bring together all grappling style and you make it mandatory no gi then you've made it biased towards a group of grapples who train 100 percent of the time in the gi and 0 percent without it... Ofcourse they are going to lose.

They could separate it and have divisions for gi and no gi. Team battles for gi and no gi. That would cater to both sides of the spectrum. Also we could see Gordan in the gi!
It says something about a fighting style, when it only works if your opponent is wearing a specific outfit.

It says something about a fighting style, when it only works if your opponent is wearing a specific outfit.

Uh yea... Something about what? We are not talking about self defence. Judo is plenty effective at that We are talking about the highest levels of sport here. Not fighting some bum on the street. Specialization. Gi and no gi are two different animals and those who train primarily without the gi are the best in that ruleset. Those who train primarily with it are the best in that area...

Uh yea... Something about what? We are not talking about self defence. Judo is plenty effective at that We are talking about the highest levels of sport here. Not fighting some bum on the street. Specialization. Gi and no gi are two different animals and those who train primarily without the gi are the best in that ruleset. Those who train primarily with it are the best in that area...
They should also not allow grabbing the legs, since judo guys dont do that either.
This is whats wrong with the mentality of some styles. Changing the rules instead of changing the art, it just leads to watered down fighting styles.
It would be much easier if they just trained judo without the jacket. But then it would be like any other wrestling style, and we can't have that when we want an olympic sport.

1. Most of those guys, exempt for a few guys (the catch guys and 10th planet) don’t train 100% no gi.

2. Money. Gi grappling is just not as spectator fan as no gi grappling. And no gi grappling it self is not spectator fan.

3. The “judo” guys is a mimic. All of those guys have been training in subwrestling for a while, there ain’t no one coming straight up from the olympics...

4. By the way, heel hooks weren’t allow, reason why there was very little footsies... once hh are removed, the whole meta changes.

Dahaner boys are bringing back mount to no gi... Gordon smashing everyone from mount, that was awesome... and to those actually doubting dahaners back attack system, I don’t know what else to say, fucking Nicky Ryan did to Tokoro, and outstanding experienced grappler the same as Gordon did to his opponents later on

. and to those actually doubting dahaners back attack system, I don’t know what else to say, fucking Nicky Ryan did to Tokoro, and outstanding experienced grappler the same as Gordon did to his opponents later on

Dunno, I feel like Danaher is so verbose he didn't actually fit his whole system into the DVDs.

I was shocked to see Barnett get submitted. This guy is amazing
Gordon is on a whole different level in no-gi grappling. I remember when he was winning EBI and people were saying he never won anything. Then he went and won ADCC gold and some people were still complaining that he sucked because he won silver in the absolute or hadn’t won worlds or some nonsense.

Maybe his personality might be rough but the dude doesn’t suck a no gi grappling.

We will see if he can recreate this in gi grappling.

So, you want a competition that is tailored towards Judoka? Check out Ikkiuchi I guess. It's not a team based comp, but Genki Sudo tried to make it appealing to Judoka and BJJ'ers alike, while keeping it as exciting as a Gi based competition can be. There are some pretty sweet throws for sure.

Otherwise, it's because Gi BJJ (which is what every match would turn into, unless there is a total victory from throws) is about as fun to watch as paint drying for the large majority of people (especially non-grapplers).

Then he went and won ADCC gold and some people were still complaining that he sucked because he won silver in the absolute or hadn’t won worlds or some nonsense..

Gordon was a lot bigger and better at ADCC then ever before. Keenan was taking him down and passing his guard in their first fight.

How does having a gi division = tailored towards Judoka? BJJ practicioners and Sambo guys also wear the gi. ADCC and quintet are certainly tailored towards wrestlers and no gi guys...

As far as making it exciting... That comes down to the rules...

Back