Questions about The Godfather

Yep, its a good feeling.

But I have seen every tv show worth watching. I wish I could go back in time and "unknow" them.. but it seems The Godfather and Star Wars are still brain neuron virgins to my memories.
Have you seen Scarface?

Have you seen Scarface?

Yes, many times. This was before the golden age of television though with such masterpieces as Boardwalk Empire and The Sopranos - so when I reatched it later on it didn't feel as good to me.. idk.. I guess I am spoiled with modern tv series being so fucking fantastic and in depth that movies don't really rub me the right way anymore, I love the time TV has for charactor devlopment etc.

But at the same time I appreciate how movies can pull off so much in so little time. Scarface is a social idol and probably posters on the walls of a million fans.. it's crazy.

Godfather 3 < A Bronx Tale

Neither are great gangster films. Watchable, once.

So basically 1-2 is a big movie in itself that is amazing, and 3 is like an afterthought - sort of "extra" in the Godfather universe , does that sound correct?
Yes. They even overlap in their narrative so there is a version where they are both combined to tell the story in chronological order.
I recommend you watch them both individually first, then watch the combo version.

Yes. They even overlap in their narrative so there is a version where they are both combined to tell the story in chronological order.
I recommend you watch them both individually first, then watch the combo version.

I've also heard that Star Wars ep 1 has a version that takes out Jar Jar Binks because apparently he's the worst most annoying character in the history of media

1. I think it was just known that he was fiercely loyal to The Godfather and had to be taken out pre-emptively.
2. They were just trying to shake any tails and keep Michael on his back foot by not giving him any more information than necessary.
3. Vito was a top tier strategist and correctly determined that Tattaglia couldn't have come up with so effective a plan, and Barzini's actions at the treaty showed to the discerning eye that he benefited most from both the actions before the treaty and the treaty itself.
4. Moe was probably overstating the impact on customer service.
Bingo.

Luca was simple, practically retarded. He couldn't have thought of something like that on his own. Not only that, but it was better to send a message by killing Luca than having him on their payroll.
Isn't he a goddamned child murderer or something like that?

I remember hearing that his backstory is expanded on in the novel.

Isn't he a goddamned child murderer or something like that?

I remember hearing that his backstory is expanded on in the novel.
I never read the book, but I'd be surprised if Vito allowed a child killer to be part of the family.

I never read the book, but I'd be surprised if Vito allowed a child killer to be part of the family.

Luca is a much darker character in the book. Vito does let him into the family despite being a child killer (in a horrible manner as well), but also fears Luca and keeps him at a distance because he knows he is capable of anything.

He makes the Vito in the book a darker character merely by association.

I actually need to rewatch the 3rd one because I can't remember it at all..worth the rewatch? Really, should just sit and watch all of them with my old man. He loves em too

I actually need to rewatch the 3rd one because I can't remember it at all..worth the rewatch? Really, should just sit and watch all of them with my old man. He loves em too

I would say it's worth the rewatch, but not by a great margin. It is a step down from the first two, probably two steps down. But it does actually have my favorite line in any of the three films.

I found a cheap copy of The Last Don by Mario Puzo at a bookstore that is going out of business, is it worth reading and where does it fit in the Godfather timeline? @BisexualMMA

I found a cheap copy of The Last Don by Mario Puzo at a bookstore that is going out of business, is it worth reading and where does it fit in the Godfather timeline? @BisexualMMA

It isn't part of the Godfather timeline, or if it is, it is merely connected by some incidental character. Yeah, it's worth reading and the miniseries was decent too. Even The Last Don 2 miniseries wasn't bad.

If you do check out the miniseries, get your hands on the whole thing, not the version that was edited down to 2 hours for rental.

1. I think it was just known that he was fiercely loyal to The Godfather and had to be taken out pre-emptively.
2. They were just trying to shake any tails and keep Michael on his back foot by not giving him any more information than necessary.
3. Vito was a top tier strategist and correctly determined that Tattaglia couldn't have come up with so effective a plan, and Barzini's actions at the treaty showed to the discerning eye that he benefited most from both the actions before the treaty and the treaty itself.
4. Moe was probably overstating the impact on customer service.

Wow, slayed it on the first response! Thanks for your input, kind sir!

Although I was just kidding about the part where Fredo was banging cocktail waitresses two at a time!

Cheers!

I would say it's worth the rewatch, but not by a great margin. It is a step down from the first two, probably two steps down. But it does actually have my favorite line in any of the three films.
This one?

My issue with 3 is it substantially lowers the overall quality of the entire series. The first movie is about the title of Godfather passing from Vito to Michael. The second is released 2 years later, shows how Michael deals with being Don, while also showing Vito's backstory. It's both a sequel and a prequel.

So now we have a series of 2 films, possibly the greatest ever made. Then 16 years later we get the third movie. What was this movie even about? We've got Michael as the aging Don, Andy Garcia as the anti-Michael, and some incest drama. I don't really remember the main mob related plot, something to do with the Vatican?I did like Andy Garcia, but I don't think the story of Santino's offspring needed to be told.

Anyway, now suddenly Godfather is not a nearly flawless series, it's just another trilogy of movies with a predictably disappointing third act. If the first two movies are 10/10, and the third is 7/10 or 6/10, the average score of the series takes a major hit.

Back