Question For People That Went to School in the 90's

Everyone at my school knew about it. You could tell by all the idiots kicking trees and poles.

I was one of those idiots.

The throwing star.... bastard cousin of brass knuckles, available in pawnshops and flea markets everywhere.
1Ijk.gif

That's a deck of cards but I get what you are saying. If you go back to flea markets in the 80's they were selling all sorts of weird weapons, some of them illegal. Butterfly knives, switchblades, wooden katana's etc. If you wanted a good cheap machete then the place to go was the flea market because there guaranteed would be one there.

Saw it in the theatre. It was more of a not-quite-underground, slightly higher budget martial art movie. Karate Kid was more of a drama w/ a legit actor. By the late 80s-early 90s, the martial art mystique was fading away.

Kickboxer is the most legit Van Dam me movie because Tong Po played himself.

blew sewk ondoo-weah

I'd be weird if every kid in school felt like they were the only one who saw Kickboxer. Why wouldn't anyone talk about it if they all felt the same way?

I grew up a Marine dependent

I think we all saw Kickboxer and Bloodsport 2049234902309423904823094893284 times, required curriculum and shit

Now, Only the Strong? i'm pretty sure I saw that and none of my friends

Grades (3-12) only!
If you were in one of these grades in the 90's i have a question for you..........

Did it seem like you were the only person to see the movie Kickboxer? LOL
It seemed like no one else in school saw it when it came out.
It didn't get the same hype treatment as Karate Kid because EVERYONE and their mother(s) saw Karate Kid!
No a bunch of my buddies saw it and bloodsport. We would playfight using lines and moves from the movie. Most of those friends are dead now, mostly from drugs and suicide, so who knows what damage that movie did to us...lol, but they really are dead.

Kickboxer is the most legit Van Dam me movie because Tong Po played himself.
except the actor, is actually Turkish or some shit and was also in the dancing gif w/ JCVD from Breaking, he's the muy thai fighter in Bloodsport, and his brother is the bad guy from Lionheart and the Quest

dude's not Asian at all hahahahah

come to think of it, that was pretty damn good prosthetics for like 89
edit: this is him in Bloodsport
Bloodsport_MY.jpg

I graduated in 98 and I don't remember Kick boxer being very popular. Everybody saw Bloodsport though. Ninja turtles, The Karate kid, 3 ninjas, and side Kicks were popular as well.

I grew up a Marine dependent

I think we all saw Kickboxer and Bloodsport 2049234902309423904823094893284 times, required curriculum and shit

Now, Only the Strong? i'm pretty sure I saw that and none of my friends

Yeah, in the 80s-90s we'd watch the same movies on the VCR over and over.

I need to re-watch these movies to see if they stood the test of time

I was in high school 93-97 and it seemed like all of my friends saw every Van Damme movie (and Seagal) made up to that point.

except the actor, is actually Turkish or some shit and was also in the dancing gif w/ JCVD from Breaking, he's the muy thai fighter in Bloodsport, and his brother is the bad guy from Lionheart and the Quest

dude's not Asian at all hahahahah

come to think of it, that was pretty damn good prosthetics for like 89
edit: this is him in Bloodsport
Bloodsport_MY.jpg

Yeah I know man, I just remember the credits they listed Tong Po as playing himself. I believed that shit for years. The same actor was also a legionnaire in Lionheart/AWOL.

I had a few friends that saw it. I’ve never seen it and likely won’t.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back