question-do u do mma type sparring and if so how does your style/approach hold up

i tend to fight more defensively and to keep my distance a little bit more. i lower my kicks, too unless its for an open head shot. i am also more prone to block a bit more.

I am not comfortable with them either. However, I have seen them used by people in full contact. Not sure I have seen lots of damage.

I think the big thing is that in a real MMA fight, people are hyped up and might walk through those attacks. If you are used to people stopping when hit, it may be a surprise. Once more, just an educated guess.

1. You shoot a leg out. I can see how you can be timed and your back could be exposed.
2. The time between the kick and any subsequent follow-up with the hands is concerning.
3. If the foot is smothered batted down and to the inside, you might fall into a strong power punch.

Wouldn't a strong jab do the same thing and not leave any doubt?

I was responding to the comment that sidekicks would not work in any full contact standup matches, which is incorrect. MMA is a different animal. A jab is a different technique with differnt uses all together. I guess a teep would be the best comparison to a side kick. But I prefer my sidekick.

Its never a good idea to keep your hands down, if they are quick enough in your estimation to come up and block punches/head kicks then you should keep them high and move them quickly to get underhooks, you might be in trouble on your back but fewer people ever get KTFO by takedowns (apologies to Carlos Newton and Gray Maynard)

My standup style gets me owned in MMA sparring. I like to pull away from shots and it gets me taken down easier.

So I tend to anticipate that shot and pull guard. Fortunately for me, the wrestlers in my gym aren't GSP so I can compete pretty evenly from my back after that.

I am not comfortable with them either. However, I have seen them used by people in full contact. Not sure I have seen lots of damage.

I think the big thing is that in a real MMA fight, people are hyped up and might walk through those attacks. If you are used to people stopping when hit, it may be a surprise. Once more, just an educated guess.

1. You shoot a leg out. I can see how you can be timed and your back could be exposed.
2. The time between the kick and any subsequent follow-up with the hands is concerning.
3. If the foot is smothered batted down and to the inside, you might fall into a strong power punch.

Wouldn't a strong jab do the same thing and not leave any doubt?

How many people train to defend side kicks? Not that many. That in itself makes sidekicks viable (if one is really good at them, like Cung Le).

Also, side kicks thrown defensively like a teep are hard to defend. You don't see defensive teeps caught that often in Muay Thai. Why? Because the guy uses them defensively and only throws it when he senses the opponent is coming in with hands. At this point, the opponent is already committed to punching so it is hard to switch gears and catch the kick

One of the guys I spar with on the side has a really good sidekick, both in terms of timing as well as accuracy. That said, we've never really gone harder than 40% or so on each other. It will be interesting to see how effective it is over the rounds when we are going 80% or higher on each other.

I spar with elbows, headbutts and stomps, using a faceshield.

It's pretty nice, the transition from hkd was pretty easy and i coached some friedns of mine to amateur vale tudo

no one expects a waki gatame from the clinch after a headbutt

I am more of a counter attacker, but sometimes i surprise my parters going agressively , the great thing about having a big number of unorthodos techniques is the infite possibility of set ups

How many people train to defend side kicks? Not that many. That in itself makes sidekicks viable (if one is really good at them, like Cung Le).

Also, side kicks thrown defensively like a teep are hard to defend. You don't see defensive teeps caught that often in Muay Thai. Why? Because the guy uses them defensively and only throws it when he senses the opponent is coming in with hands. At this point, the opponent is already committed to punching so it is hard to switch gears and catch the kick

People do not defend side kicks. They defend a kick with the front leg coming in straight at hip, ribs or arm. Who cares what it is called? It is a straight attack with a leg coming straight in. Just like a front kick or teep. If the person does not defend a sidekick, there is a VERY good chance they would not defend a defensive front kick or teep. If you use a front kick, you can still throw hands if the kick is defended. Hard to do with your ass pointed at someone.

Cung Le is one of the guys I have seen use them with some success. He does not just use them defensively. In my above post, you can see that I am not trashing the kick, I am trying to determine if there is something better that does not leave you in a less beneficial position if you throw and it does not work.

It is one of the only techniques that when you throw it, you have no choice for a combination. You have your side/hip turned to your opponent. What will you do backfist? One of your arms is behind you (away from your opponent) leaving one to defend a punch if the kick is smothered. I can't think of a coach telling someone to throw a punch but to keep the other arm behind.

To each his own but if it does not do the job, you just stepped into your opponent with your side facing him. I use them in sparring with some success. The last one I threw (three weeks ago) caught the elbow of a pro fighter in the soft area of my ankle. Limping for days.

simple question for those in the forum, we all know our standup fairly well and have exp in that area of fighting, standup (boxing kickboxing muay thai karate tkd etc); my question is this how does your standup hold up in an arena where everything is allowed, i.e. mma.

when i say style i mean your style, mt/tkd/karate/kickboxing/boxing/etc; an how does your style standup, counter/def/off/volume/physical/brawling/technician. What changes do you make in what you do, what is your biggest issue in transitioning your pure standup skills to the mma type sparring/fight.

Great Post! My background was a mix of TKD (as a Kid), then several year of MT with some boxing, recently I have trained alot more boxing and began Judo/BJJ classes intermitently.

The toughest thing for me in transitioning into MMA sparring was my stance, between the TKD, MT, and being a tall/rangy guy I kept my stance a bit narrower and feet closer together. Needless to say, i got taken down pretty easy. Widening out my stance helped me with Takedown defense, getting lower, etc... but my kicks and working for angles felt really akward... I am just starting to get comfortable adjusting my stance throughout the sparring, tall and closer together on the outside, widening my base on the inside or in takedown range..... still it is a bit difficult to do.

People do not defend side kicks. They defend a kick with the front leg coming in straight at hip, ribs or arm. Who cares what it is called? It is a straight attack with a leg coming straight in. Just like a front kick or teep. If the person does not defend a sidekick, there is a VERY good chance they would not defend a defensive front kick or teep. If you use a front kick, you can still throw hands if the kick is defended. Hard to do with your ass pointed at someone.

Cung Le is one of the guys I have seen use them with some success. He does not just use them defensively. In my above post, you can see that I am not trashing the kick, I am trying to determine if there is something better that does not leave you in a less beneficial position if you throw and it does not work.

It is one of the only techniques that when you throw it, you have no choice for a combination. You have your side/hip turned to your opponent. What will you do backfist? One of your arms is behind you (away from your opponent) leaving one to defend a punch if the kick is smothered. I can't think of a coach telling someone to throw a punch but to keep the other arm behind. To each his own but if it does not do the job, you just stepped into your opponent with your side facing him. I use them in sparring with some success. The last one I threw (three weeks ago) caught the elbow of a pro fighter in the soft area of my ankle. Limping for days.

Good reply! I dont use sidekicks (spin back kicks i use occasionally) for a couple of reasons.

1. ankle injuries

2. if you miss your back is to your opponent, or you come down square in front of him and become a wide open target.

3. if a front kick gets caught and opponents throws leg kick to sweep, your knee can flex and bend to lessen the blow. If a sidekick gets caught and counter kicked, it can be alot more damaging, your post leg is turned over and a counter kick can come directly into the knee or thigh with all your weight planted.

4. As you mentioned, it is much more akward to follow with hands.

It is one of the only techniques that when you throw it, you have no choice for a combination. You have your side/hip turned to your opponent. What will you do backfist?

Not really. Your ass is not facing your opponent. If I side kick with my lead left, my ass is facing the left. When my foot lands after the technique, I can still throw a left jab and a right if I so choose. Now with a teep, its much easier to throw hands afterwards, but the sidekick is much more powerful. If I catch someone in the chest with it, he is done.

A side note: if a side kick connects the chest, guard, whatever, the opponent will be pushed back a step or two. At this time, I can reset and try something else. Its not like a round house where it can be absorbed by the opponent, and in which case you want to follow up with hands.

Again, in MMA its probably not the best option. My 2 cents

side kicks are easy to see coming due to the opponents stance when he has to throw it.
a little step left and forward to avoid the sidekick and suddenly your behind your opponent,not good for him,

side kicks are easy to see coming due to the opponents stance when he has to throw it.
a little step left and forward to avoid the sidekick and suddenly your behind your opponent,not good for him,

Unless he is in a side stance already. But then you will get taken down. So yeah.. probably not a good idea in MMA. BUt in standup fighting, its a great tool to have.

I come from a Taekwondo backround, and my style hold up pretty well. I find it easy to see kicks coming and since I can maintain kicking range (I'm pretty tall) I can manage punches pretty well. I think it helps I'm a decent wrestler, but I do best when in the clinch or at kicking range rather then at an inside punching range.

The best part is I land high kicks all the time, looking down at the legs and then kicking up high. I also find back kicks and pushkics to the face can be really effective. I have never had much success with hook kicks, but thats maybe cause my hook kicks always kinda sucked. Never in my sparring experience has anyone EVER defended one of my axekicks if my range is right. They are just so unused to it. I either land it flush on the head or the collarbone. My goal in life is to KO someone with an axe kick in MMA, Andy Hug style. RIP.

simple question for those in the forum, we all know our standup fairly well and have exp in that area of fighting, standup (boxing kickboxing muay thai karate tkd etc); my question is this how does your standup hold up in an arena where everything is allowed, i.e. mma.

when i say style i mean your style, mt/tkd/karate/kickboxing/boxing/etc; an how does your style standup, counter/def/off/volume/physical/brawling/technician. What changes do you make in what you do, what is your biggest issue in transitioning your pure standup skills to the mma type sparring/fight.

My stance is boxing but my lead leg (left leg)is getting battered (Dead leg) again in MMA sparring . It's really getting to me that I don't protect it.

back when i was training regularly (on a break) i would spar MMA guys quite a bit, stand up only though. I think MMA helps them think outside the box. The guys with wrestling and takedown experience would sometimes do things on me that were either perfectly legal and just outside of the box, or kind of a grey area.

all comes down to your style of fighting im more fo a boxer so i cant playa s defensive obviously due to smaller gloves so movement is much more important plus having a lower stance as well and a bit more squared upmost boxers stand angled like holding a rifle which will be bad for leg kicks and kicking yourself and takedows so small adjustments are needed

also there isnt alot inside fighting in mma due to underhooks against the cage yeah you can work shots but vs good wrestlers you dont wana just clinch up throwing knees

My style is pretty much defensive side kicks and other various kicks + clinch striking + takedowns/takedown defense + ground and pound. All pretty much equally.

Another 10 year bump where everyone is answering the TS lol

Back