Question about Gerald Mcclellan's brain injuries

Interesting stuff in here about McClellan that I hadn't heard of before.

On his radio show Steve Bunce says the real serious damage to McClellan was after the fight when he was transfered, against doctors advice, to America where he suffered from oxygen loss to his brain and his injuries came from that, and that he could have walked away fine if he had followed the British doctors advice.

Is this true?

MMA fighters have oxygen brain loos most of their life and don't suffer this type of injuries and condition.

So I believe that's an old medical theory that's squashed now because that seems like old science.

Brain trauma and bleeding without healing caused his Brain damage maybe his Brain just couldn't take constant pounding unlike others because nobodies made the same.

Example knee injuries that happen to certain athletes and some athletes always injured but could've been the best, like Zion who plays Basketball he already has knee problems and hasn't played a lick of professional Basketball yet, just genetics and fate.

I have heard multiple sources that Gerald was showing signs of CTE or a brain injury before the Benn fight. That he was becoming more erratic and impulsive. Making really questionable big decisions. That his temper was even shorter and increasingly more violent. Also, that the rapid blinking began even before the Benn and Jackson fights. For sure before the Benn fight but not 100% sure before the Jackson fight.
He was also big for the weight and struggled to make it. Knowing what we know now, we know how cutting fluids can remove the protective fluids around the brain and cause these injuries.

His friend/ "trainer" after Manny did a good job explaining it in that documentary mentioned here...Its a must see.

All speculation though. Nobody will ever be able to say for certain what a medical outcome would or could of been.
Dr.s will say things to deflect liability for reputation and financial/legal purposes.

Last edited:
I have heard multiple sources that Gerald was showing signs of CTE or a brain injury before the Benn fight. That he was becoming more erratic and impulsive. Making really questionable big decisions. That his temper was even shorter and increasingly more violent. Also, that the rapid blinking began even before the Benn and Jackson fights. For sure before the Benn fight but not 100% sure before the Jackson fight.
He was also big for the weight and struggled to make it. Knowing what we know now, we know how cutting fluids can remove the protective fluids around the brain and cause these injuries.

His friend/ "trainer" after Manny did a good job explaining it in that documentary mentioned here...Its a must see.

All speculation though. Nobody will ever be able to say for certain what a medical outcome would or could of been.
Dr.s will say things to deflect liability for reputation and financial/legal purposes.

If he struggled so much with the weight why did he weigh in at 165 for the Benn fight? We all know he was a moron so he probably just got a bad scale during his weight cut?

If he struggled so much with the weight why did he weigh in at 165 for the Benn fight? We all know he was a moron so he probably just got a bad scale during his weight cut?
No idea
Wasnt he supposed to move up after the Benn fight.

No clue, I watched it the other night and Benn came in at the 168 limit and I was honestly shocked to see that McClellan came in at 165.
Oh wait... Benn was a super middle weight at that time. That was the fight Gerald moved up for. He was killing himself to make middleweight. That's why he was under because he had moved up and didn't really have a proper trainer or team either to help and do it right. Don King thought Benn would be easy pickings for G-Man. I think the plain was to go grab the belt from Benn and then try to make a super fight with Roy Jones jr.
Slowly starting to come back. I think that documentary touches on that too.

Back