Question about footwork, stepping right

Rayess

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I never understood what was the benefit of going to the right (for orthodox) that way :
-Regular stance, putting the lead leg back close to back leg/ then stepping right leg to the right/ and putting lead leg back to normal. (I hope it was clear enough...)
Instead of just stepping to the right in one step.

A lot of MMA people use that footwork (Frankie Edgar for ex), and I would love to know the benefit behind it.
Thanks guys

I'm guessing it has to do a couple of things though I'm not sure I understand what you are saying 100%. It is easier to pivot when your feet are closer (or at least not wide apart), and may have something to do with the distance attempting to be traveled in conjunction with a pivot. Could you provide a .gif so we can see exactly what you are referencing and maybe be more helpful?

Going to the right means you're going away from their strong arm while setting up yours. You can go either side. Left or right it's not important. Different sides have different reasoning and strategies. I like to lean towards the left myself too because it feels more natural and sets up my right side better.

To some going right is more natural. Go check out Bisping vs Hendo 1. Bisping kept circling into Hendo's power side. He should've circled the other way. So in that instance, you best be circling right.

Just read your question more clearly. That is bad footwork. You're suppose to move right leg first then left leg trails behind if you're moving to the right. Same thing for left, You'd want to move left leg first then right leg trails behind. Whichever direction you're moving, you'd want to move that leg first. I wouldn't trust MMA fighters for any striking guidance. Most of them have super sloppy techniques.

ProTIP: Insert gifs next time

@2min03

A lot of people use that footwork. But it's 3 step instead of just 2. I'm sure there is a benefit in that but I can't see where.

Last edited:
Are you talking about triangle/rainbow stepping? It's just another way to try and take an angle, it can be used defensively or to set up switch kicks or shifting punches. I don't use it much because I don't like switching stances, but it's fine.

lots of different terms or it, its a shuffle step. for some people it feels natural. fundamental footwork is that you're not supposed to bring your feet together, but since a lot of boxers/fighters do it, its whatever.

i dont think theres any inherent benefit if you look at it as footwork, but put it into context of a fight, you move back from a jab and move right from their cross. (whereas just stepping right doesn't provide that movement). i dont think thats why people do it (like i said, it feels natural to move right that way for some), but it could be a benefit

If you are orthodox and opponent is orthodox, then step to right to slip jab. Opponent is now in bad spot because you are essentially behind him. If it is MMA than you take his back, and get a takedown.

overeem-footwork.gif

I'm guessing this is what you mean? Lots of different names about this from what I hear. Shuffle step, L-step, etc.

There's a lot of different purposes to this but the one that matters most to me is that it moves my lead leg from the opponent. In other words, I can move laterally while taking my lead leg farther away. the reason I do that is to create safe space while resetting. It makes it a bit harder for them to time a single leg or leg kick with the leg out of the way. I just prefer to have less of my body available to the opponent while I transition laterally.

you can see what JT van uses it for.

thanks a lot for your help guys.
BTW strike thought, I'm a big fan of your blog! can't wait for the next breakdown :)

Bringing the front foot back to the perpendicular line of the back foot gives you more distance in your right direction lateral movement. It's been a while since I've been able to do that footwork drill cause of surgery next month, but I'm moving off my opponents forward line of attack and positioning myself facing their back. They have to reset into a good solid stance before they can throw anything with power.

I do two versions of that lateral movement

1. skip step back orthodox when I land on my forward foot I push off sideways with it two large steps distance and re set.

2. same as above but add a sideways skip step to cover more distance and switch stances to southpaw.

That's the basics, then I take some time to train permutations of switching stances, adding a more circular movement to reset much closer to my opponent or angle 45 degrees away for aggressive chasing. If you have a bag, work on close distance and end with varying combo's, and with partners have them come after you so you can judge distance on moving targets.

That way in sparring I can real time judge how much distance and what stance will be best from what reaction I get.

I can't explain anything better than Bazooka Joe, so here.

thanks a lot for your help guys.
BTW strike thought, I'm a big fan of your blog! can't wait for the next breakdown :)
cool man. Appreciate it. been holding it off on writing but I just finished my term, so I'm back working on a few things.

cool man. Appreciate it. been holding it off on writing but I just finished my term, so I'm back working on a few things.
i know you're more focus on MMA but would love your view on Lomachenko style as well.

If you can only take an angle towards one way, then it is really easy to cut the ring/cage off for you. Being able to retreat or engage both right and left allows you to own your space much better, even if it is only the threat of moving both ways.

It can set up some powerful punches if done correctly

Back