Quentin Tarantino : A director that never matured

I fucked up the title and don't know how to change it. The title should be "Quentin Tarantino: A director that never matured".

This is coming from someone that enjoyed a bunch of his movies but there was one thing that really bothered me about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I don't give a shit about any of the characters. Not one character is worth giving a shit about. It is just a collection of scenes he came up with that he thought were cool. This got me thinking about all of his movies and I can't think of one character I cared about. Hateful 8 was one of the worst with me not giving a shit about anyone in that cabin. In Django, the only guy I gave a shit about was the german just because he was cool but that movie was so vapid that I didn't give a shit if Djano got back with his wife or got even with the slave masters. In Pulp Fiction, I think I was rooting for a few of the characters but I don't think I was really invested in any of them. People direct movies from what they know and I strong suspect that if you ever got down and talked with Quentin, he is probably a bit of a narcissist or something and doesn't a basic understanding of people or has any strong relationships. he knows how to shoot a movie and write clever dialogue but he style is so basic. In Kill Bill, I never gave two shits about anyone in the movie but I am not going to lie, it was entertaining. I think Quentin was traumatized or something and never really progressed emotionally passed that of a 12 year old. Maybe, he has aspergers. He never really matured as a director and if anything his movies kind of regressed as he got older in that there were even fewer reasons to care about his characters.
I don t think anyone really watches a Tarantino movie for empathy or identification with anything.

I don t think anyone really watches a Tarantino movie for empathy or identification with anything.

That is both profound and obvious. I think the hook is that if you read Tarantino's critique on film, he would likely think his own movies as being dumb and unlikeable had they been made by someone else. I think there is a non-insignificant portion of viewers that get tired of his movies as being thin.

If you don't see any evolution or growth over his career you should have wear a helmet while you shower.

Same guy made resevoir dogs and jackie brown. Pulp fiction and hateful 8. Django and once upon a time in hollywood. Kill bill and inglorious basterds. They're all very different films with very different characters and stories. He has created iconic characters through his career.

He doesnt have a character prototype that you see in every movie. Except some sexy feet and a lot of f bombs.

Not A huge tarantino fan but I honestly dont know how you got to that conclusion if you've watched more than one of his movies. Feels like a troll job.

What he said.

I am finishing both Kill Bill movies now. I have never really saw them in full. The plot makes zero sense. Truth serum? Really?

It's just a lot of very stylized scenes from different genres. Some scenes are just straight cringe. Both movies could've been recut into one movie.

Both movies could've been recut into one movie.

It is 1 film and this has already been done, it's called The Whole Bloody Affair. It also has more scenes including 1 with Michael Jai White. It's the only version I watch when I watch this film, which I believe to be in the 9-10/10 range. It also has more violence and blood in it which was cut out of the US release.

It's excellent/masterpiece
Truth serum?

You do realize he's paying homage to the 70s Kung fu genre right? The same when she awakes from her coma and looks at her hands and she knows it's 4 years later

All homage to martial arts films of the 70s

To me it's his best film. I even made a thread on here where you can purchase the full movie since it's unavailable

I also think when the bride arrives in Japan is the best scene Tarantino has ever filmed with the basement scene in inglorious coming in 2nd.

It is 1 film and this has already been done, it's called The Whole Bloody Affair. It also has more scenes including 1 with Michael Jai White. It's the only version I watch when I watch this film, which I believe to be in the 9-10/10 range. It also has more violence and blood in it which was cut out of the US release.

You do realize he's paying homage to the 70s Kung fu genre right? The same when she awakes from her coma and looks at her hands and she knows it's 4 years later

All homage to martial arts films of the 70s

To me it's his best film. I even made a thread on here where you can purchase the full movie since it's unavailable

I also think when the bride arrives in Japan is the best scene Tarantino has ever filmed with the basement scene in inglorious coming in 2nd.

I'd like to see the Bloody affair cut someday. Truth Serum and the non-use of guns are just too unbelievable for me.

Where do I find this release at? I want to buy it. Or at least see it.

I dont think Tarantino makes movies structured quite like most other directors / writers.

They're unusual and no most of his movies don't have characters you care about that much.
Personally I really liked Inglorious Basterds. I liked the long scenes and the fact that some of the movie is in spoken French or spoken German, I think is great as it feels more authentic. The basement bar scene was fantastic and thats about 22 or 23mins long.
The opening farmhouse scene when Hans Landa shows up....is also long and slow paced and just all the better for it.

I do think in Inglorious Basterds the 2 characters that most people will be rooting for are Aldo the Apache (Brad Pitt) and Yvette Mimieux / Shoshannah as her entire family was murdered by the Hans Landa's men in the farmhouse scene. Also....the entire group of Aldo's men do kinda have you rooting for them as they are trying to kill as many Nazis as possible and .....that's bound to elicit sympathy and support amongst the movie watchers.

Plenty of black humor in Tarantino's movies. That's kinda A trademark. The occasional ultra-violent scenes intercut with some black humor.

I really didn't like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I thought it was a dud. Long and meandering and just a bit....aimless. Just my view on that. I felt like the end of it was just Tarantino's attempt to rewrite history regarding the Sharon Tate murders and it just felt like a cheap attempt to get cheers from the audience. Maybe I need to see it again.

i like the arguments in the stagecoach in Django lol especially in the cabin epic although I'm not sure if it could really happen in real Wild West life back then.

Quentin likes the emphasize some events in the past which this and that probably happened and it's funny to imagine if it indeed happened which he just put it in a movie.

But I wonder if he could make a series out of it. It sure does need a team of researchers like how Taylor Sheridan did with Yellow Stone.

Thread is weird, he's had plenty of likeable characters. Butch, Jules, Django and Waltz's character, The Bride, Jackie Brown, etc.

the non-use of guns are just too unbelievable for me.

You mean like when Vivica A. Fox tries to shoot her in Volume 1, or when Michael Madsen blasts her with rock salt in a shotgun in Volume 2, or when she and the assassin have a shootout shotgun versus handgun before she tells her that she's pregnant, or when her wedding party is shot to death and Bill shoots her in the head?

You mean like when Vivica A. Fox tries to shoot her in Volume 1, or when Michael Madsen blasts her with rock salt in a shotgun in Volume 2, or when she and the assassin have a shootout shotgun versus handgun before she tells her that she's pregnant, or when her wedding party is shot to death and Bill shoots her in the head?

What I mean is go on a killing spree of vengeance and having a katana as your weapon of choice. I think Bill got the reasoning part of her brain when he shot her.

What I mean is go on a killing spree of vengeance and having a katana as your weapon of choice. I think Bill got the reasoning part of her brain when he shot her.

Yup, and she failed miserably, so clearly she made a mistake. I think maybe something happened to the reasoning part of your brain ;)

I didn't like The Hateful Eight very much the first time I saw it...but it has grown on me maybe more than any other movie has relative to my first viewing. I usually know where a movie stands with me right away but that one gained ground over time.
It's weird, I had the same exact reaction to hateful eight. I was very disappointed the first time I saw it, but with every viewing it got better until now it's one of my favorite movies.

I actually DO care about his characters. A lot of them are criminals and killers but even within that world there are good ones and bad ones, and it makes for an interesting story.

I cared a lot about Beatrix and even more about Bill.

I cared about John Ruth and was pretty upset when he died so early.

Yup, and she failed miserably, so clearly she made a mistake. I think maybe something happened to the reasoning part of your brain ;)

Imagine Michael Corleone taking revenge on Sonny's murder via karate fighting. <lmao>

I fucked up the title and don't know how to change it. The title should be "Quentin Tarantino: A director that never matured".

This is coming from someone that enjoyed a bunch of his movies but there was one thing that really bothered me about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I don't give a shit about any of the characters. Not one character is worth giving a shit about. It is just a collection of scenes he came up with that he thought were cool. This got me thinking about all of his movies and I can't think of one character I cared about. Hateful 8 was one of the worst with me not giving a shit about anyone in that cabin. In Django, the only guy I gave a shit about was the german just because he was cool but that movie was so vapid that I didn't give a shit if Djano got back with his wife or got even with the slave masters. In Pulp Fiction, I think I was rooting for a few of the characters but I don't think I was really invested in any of them. People direct movies from what they know and I strong suspect that if you ever got down and talked with Quentin, he is probably a bit of a narcissist or something and doesn't a basic understanding of people or has any strong relationships. he knows how to shoot a movie and write clever dialogue but he style is so basic. In Kill Bill, I never gave two shits about anyone in the movie but I am not going to lie, it was entertaining. I think Quentin was traumatized or something and never really progressed emotionally passed that of a 12 year old. Maybe, he has aspergers. He never really matured as a director and if anything his movies kind of regressed as he got older in that there were even fewer reasons to care about his characters.

I think it's simply a case of when a director gets massive success, s/he get treated like their shit don't stink. QT's best work was in the 90's, he only got worse after.

I enjoyed Kill Bill but all his movies are vapid, sick, and childish stuff.

I think it's simply a case of when a director gets massive success, s/he get treated like their shit don't stink. QT's best work was in the 90's, he only got worse after.
Agree his best work was the first movies. Still immature but the rest was creative. Instead of maturing he just went full style over substance with more and more absurd characters catering to societies stereotypes and bias.

I don't get the praise . It's now all cringe supercool characters like out of a comic book.

Agree his best work was the first movies. Still immature but the rest was creative. Instead of maturing he just went full style over substance with more and more absurd characters catering to societies stereotypes and bias.

I don't get the praise . It's now all cringe supercool characters like out of a comic book.

It is funny that he shits on comic book movies but nothing he makes has any more substance. I honestly think that he would be better suited either directing other people's scripts or having other people direct his scripts. True Romance was one of the more polished Tarantino movies made, which was directed by Scott.

The part that is depressing about Tarantino is that all of his movies are very formulaic.

Cool scene that mirrors a movie form the 70s or 80s but adds nothing to the plot
Super cool character that is super hip, cool or black
Witty dialogue that does nothing to make the audience relate to the characters but only to be clever
Women's feet
Criminals who live by a code of honor like Japanese Ronin stories
Characters the audience can't relate to or care about
Just a series of things happening without good motives
Thinking course dialogue or wild scenes are ground breaking when they are just usually avoided because they don't move the plot
No real plot aside from just a loosely connected series of cool scenes that have been stitched together because the director fails to understand character development
A complete inability to understand character development
An inability to cutdown ancillary scenes to keep the plot development tight
Movies center around showing the audience something unique rather than an actually story
For someone that clearly likes movies, he is unable to create much new and instead copies stuff left and right and claims it is an homage

That said I like his movies but honestly I watch them for a few scenes rather than a full tightly held together story. I think the problem with Tarantino is that people confuse him with being a good director when in actuality he is more a "brand". People go to and watch his movies to see a certain type of teenage shlock rather than a well put together movie. I think there are a lot of writers and directors that could make a Tarantino type movie but they don't have the brand recognition to make it work. Guy Ritchie I think is the british Tarantino in that you know you are getting a slick and shallow pulpy product but no one is confusing it as anything else but thin and sugary material. In a lot of ways, I think Guy Ritchie has grown more as a director while Tarantino has gotten more selfish and masturbatory to the detriment of his films. For example, the last thing time Tarantino has put anything together that was as tight as "The Gentleman" was maybe years ago with Pulp Fiction, but I think Pulp Fiction is a little sloppy when it comes to telling a complete story.

Last edited:
Back