pussy/smart vs tough/stupid

I want to stick up for myself by doing better. I don't want to ask anyone to take it easy on me. It would be bother me psychologically to do that. It would be like they have something over me. I just have to get better I think.

The thing is with any martial art, you're always going to be training with guys WAY more experienced than you. If they don't ease up on less experienced guys, you're going to wind up seriously injured. Imagine if this was BJJ and you had a black belt with 30 years experience not letting up on a knee bar. You'd be in the hospital.

Who knows, if this instructor is even halfway legit he may very well have some pro fights on his record, and you've got a few months training.

Re: The girls, you could just be blunt and make the guy look like an ass. "You're much better than me because you're an instructor and I just started training, so can you not beat the shit out of me, and instead help train me?" loud enough so the girls can hear. He'll either knock you unconscious or actually try to help you. He sounds like a giant tool though.
That's a bit too aggressive, and I wouldn't recommend it. Chances are you'll piss of the instructor. Better to just ask to go lighter because you're not learning anything at the harder pace.

Sometimes people run into counters and they think you're going harder than you are, and if someone said that shit to me as a result with an attitude, I certainly wouldn't be inclined to help them

That's a bit too aggressive, and I wouldn't recommend it. Chances are you'll piss of the instructor. Better to just ask to go lighter because you're not learning anything at the harder pace.

Sometimes people run into counters and they think you're going harder than you are, and if someone said that shit to me as a result with an attitude, I certainly wouldn't be inclined to help them

I actually agree, but I wanted to throw out the idea that you didn't need to be submissive or passive aggressive. Just speaking plainly can solve half the problems we encounter in the modern world, half the time people aren't even intending to be a dick to you. And if they are they need to be called on it.

Also the more blunt you are, I find that people tend to appreciate it. This coming from a guy that's worked in an office most of his life where people get into life long feuds because they are passive aggressive and it just keeps building. Usually neither one even knows why they dislike each other...

Passive aggressive is the current culture of America, or submissive when dealing with people viewed as having more power.

I actually agree, but I wanted to throw out the idea that you didn't need to be submissive or passive aggressive. Just speaking plainly can solve half the problems we encounter in the modern world, half the time people aren't even intending to be a dick to you. And if they are they need to be called on it.

Also the more blunt you are, I find that people tend to appreciate it. This coming from a guy that's worked in an office most of his life where people get into life long feuds because they are passive aggressive and it just keeps building. Usually neither one even knows why they dislike each other...

Passive aggressive is the current culture of America, or submissive when dealing with people viewed as having more power.
Sure, being blunt is good, and assertiveness is definitely a plus. But I'd prefer to do that shit with the tone of voice rather than the choice of words, comes off less douchebaggy but lets them know you're not OK with continuing as before. Mumbling and passivity can make the other guy think you're just inexperienced and easier to shrug off with a "haha you'll get tougher after a few months of hard sparring like this!"

There were good looking women there too so that also played a factor.

There's your answer.

As my dad would say, "pussy hair can pull a freight train"...or make your instructor uppercut your headgear off. Same difference.

a1acc7867bf9267b566f0033752646c5b1df143a52cec764b57921c03c5d40ea.jpg

Hard sparring for me is normal. I’ve said this many times but sparring when training for a fight except the last week or two is as intense as a fight. Often times it is a real fight except with 16oz gloves and headgear. Now that I don’t plan to fight anymore and due to my eye injury my hard sparring days are probably done, at least until I feel my eye is 100% back to normal.

I think hard, fight-intensity sparring once in a while is needed especially if you plan to compete but also if you think you might use your training for self-defense. Being psychologically adjusted to a guy really trying to fuck you up is needed. But let me tell you, even then you may not be prepare for the intensity in a match.

I don't want to be a pussy and miss out on a chance to get better, but I worry about those boxers that get sort of dumb after awhile after they've been punched a lot. I don't want that to happen to me. How hard do you need to get hit for that to happen? I wasn't knocked out or anything.

What's the right balance between caring for your health, and being smart about not taking too many good hits to the dome? Sorry if this is poorly written. I'm on phone.
It’s the countless rounds of hard sparring that really destroys boxers, more than the fights themselves.

Boxers in the old days (and also MT fighters in Thailand) didn’t spar as much or as hard, but they also fought much more frequently, against the type of guys modern boxers would probably hire as sparring partners. If Mayweather was a fighter in the 60s, his sparring sessions would’ve probably been events and he would have had 200 bouts on his record.

I went again tonight and had a great semi-hard spar. I feel amazing, total high. Got my nose a little bloody and my adrenaline pump and I can't wait to get back on Monday.

As someone who goes to both a legit family-oriented gym and a UFC gym I can attest that I consistently go much harder at the UFC gym and in turn take more damage. Outside of preparing for fights at the family-oriented gym most of the sparring is used to work techniques without having to worry about taking the hard shots to the face. The reason being is that UFC feels a lot less like a "team" and outside from seeing them in the same classes or around the gym, you arent really teammates. I almost always have guys willing to test me or have zero control, thus I basically end up full on fighting them.

vs The family oriented gym where we actually give a shit about each other so not every spar is going to be even considered semi-hard.

Dont get me wrong hard sparring or even semi-hard sparring will get you ALOT better, ALOT quicker. Its just not maintainable every single week.

I will spar at my home gym every single week with almost no real damage being done to me, but I only go UFC when I feel like going a little bit harder, maybe preparing for a fight.

Glad you had a good time the other day FritzWhite

Oh yeah also at my home gym there tends to be a much clearer "hierarchy" as far as skill and experience of training partners. It makes for a much smoother practice and sparring session. When everyone is not constantly testing each other because they a;ready know where they stand is where the real work gets done. (Without the damage)

Dont get me wrong, the guys lowest on the totem pole DO get beat up, its an inevitable part of combat sports. But they get beat up much less and taken care of much more than UFC gym, I can tell you that.

As someone who goes to both a legit family-oriented gym and a UFC gym I can attest that I consistently go much harder at the UFC gym and in turn take more damage. Outside of preparing for fights at the family-oriented gym most of the sparring is used to work techniques without having to worry about taking the hard shots to the face. The reason being is that UFC feels a lot less like a "team" and outside from seeing them in the same classes or around the gym, you arent really teammates. I almost always have guys willing to test me or have zero control, thus I basically end up full on fighting them.

vs The family oriented gym where we actually give a shit about each other so not every spar is going to be even considered semi-hard.

Dont get me wrong hard sparring or even semi-hard sparring will get you ALOT better, ALOT quicker. Its just not maintainable every single week.

I will spar at my home gym every single week with almost no real damage being done to me, but I only go UFC when I feel like going a little bit harder, maybe preparing for a fight.

Glad you had a good time the other day FritzWhite
I really don't know how UFC gyms are taken seriously. Over here we have a UFC gym a bit further out in another city over, and any serious gyms that has a decent competition gym don't take them seriously. Its known for sub par instruction, and no-technique brawler types. I don't think they even had a legit competition team. If they do have "good" fighters, its because they were brought up from other gyms (like your family gym) and came there because they relocated for work or school, etc and it being the closest gym. I remember dropping by there a few years back to check it out, and the guy running the striking class was some meathead who was teaching terrible technique to a mass group. It was a 1,2,3,kick combination, and the straights were demonstrated like hooks, and the kick threw him off balance, while not generating decent power.
The only thing I see them good for is the state of the art facility.

Oh yeah also at my home gym there tends to be a much clearer "hierarchy" as far as skill and experience of training partners. It makes for a much smoother practice and sparring session. When everyone is not constantly testing each other because they a;ready know where they stand is where the real work gets done. (Without the damage)

Dont get me wrong, the guys lowest on the totem pole DO get beat up, its an inevitable part of combat sports. But they get beat up much less and taken care of much more than UFC gym, I can tell you that.
Beat up like "losing" spars, but don't end up injured? If so thats alright, thats normal with most gyms. Its how you learn anyways. Since I started competing I was mostly paired up with one of our top guys, and at first I wondered if I would get better, but I did, and its a good thing I stuck training with him during my camps.

I really don't know how UFC gyms are taken seriously. Over here we have a UFC gym a bit further out in another city over, and any serious gyms that has a decent competition gym don't take them seriously. Its known for sub par instruction, and no-technique brawler types. I don't think they even had a legit competition team. If they do have "good" fighters, its because they were brought up from other gyms (like your family gym) and came there because they relocated for work or school, etc and it being the closest gym. I remember dropping by there a few years back to check it out, and the guy running the striking class was some meathead who was teaching terrible technique to a mass group. It was a 1,2,3,kick combination, and the straights were demonstrated like hooks, and the kick threw him off balance, while not generating decent power.
The only thing I see them good for is the state of the art facility.

Beat up like "losing" spars, but don't end up injured? If so thats alright, thats normal with most gyms. Its how you learn anyways. Since I started competing I was mostly paired up with one of our top guys, and at first I wondered if I would get better, but I did, and its a good thing I stuck training with him during my camps.
This one instructor from last night was really good. There are a few good instructors. The bb jiu jitsu instructor is solid.

The instructor from Monday night was good too. I just need to use better defense.

You have to play with the cards you're dealt with.

Hard sparring is useless and dangerous but sometimes there's no way around it. Some guys just go hard and there's no way to change them.

If that is the case and you can't avoid it I suggest you to stay away from sparring for a while, work on your shadowboxing, heavy bag and conditioning, work on a "gameplan" and come back to the gym to spar as if you're going to fight a real fight. Be 100% prepared, be the best that you can be and be confident.

In my gym a lot of guys spar hard, we have some very legit competitors including the amateur HW national champ. I actually improve a lot during this hard sparring and I like it because it really makes me better and pushes me to the limits but I always make sure I'm prepared and if I take a beating I take like 2 weeks off and don't spar in that period or just spar with guys who are more on my level or lower.

The worst thing you can do is get beat up and come back in few days trying to prove something only to get beat up again. Instead, work on your conditioning, and take a bit of a break, try to remember how the guy that beat you fought and try to find a "gameplan" to neutralize it, fight smart.

One guy that beat me up in (boxing) sparring had a big reach advantage on me and hits really hard so I figured out I have to just smother his game at his preferred range and go inside all the time. I shadowboxed accordingly (focused on high guard and offensive footwork - I constantly imagined fighting that guy) and did some weight lifting and strength exercises, came back to spar him a month later and I did much much better, I did my best Andre Ward impression and just jabbed and moved in and force the inside game and clinching, counter his right with short left hooks a lot too. It helped that I was stronger and could bully him around and "wrestle" him. I really improved a lot during that, it was much more than just a regular sparring session where you mostly fight on instinct and don't think much, it was more like a real fight to me, I really gave everything and felt really good afterwards. So there is a plus in hard sparring too, even if I'm mostly against it and I agree that it's health damaging.

Also, if you notice that there are some guys in the gym you really enjoy sparring with ask them if they want to spar with you more, maybe outside of your regular training sessions if you have a place where you can spar. I used to meet with some friends who liked light sparring and with whom I really enjoyed sparring during the weekends when our gym was free to be used for members so you're not forced to spar with some guy who tries to kill you all the time. It's basically like when fighters recruit specific sparring partners. IMO you have to think like a pro.

I feel more confident today than normal. I still have an afterglow high from last night. I feel like I faced my fear by sparring again and came out better than I was.

I even asked a girl that's really nice and very pretty for her phone number and she gave it to me. I'm usually too scared to ask but today I was more confident.

I feel more confident today than normal. I still have an afterglow high from last night. I feel like I faced my fear by sparring again and came out better than I was.

I even asked a girl that's really nice and very pretty for her phone number and she gave it to me. I'm usually too scared to ask but today I was more confident.
pics of girl of it didn't happen. If said girl is below 18, keep the pics to yourself

pics of girl of it didn't happen. If said girl is below 18, keep the pics to yourself
I don't know her that well yet. I'm not going to put her pic up for you heathens to beat off to unless she's ok with it. :p
She said today is her 24th bday.

I don't know her that well yet. I'm not going to put her pic up for you heathens to beat off to unless she's ok with it. :p
She said today is her 24th bday.

Look at this white knight

Who's that douche that makes videos where he tells guys he's going to light spar then surprises them and starts going balls out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back