punching off of kicks?

Jimmy Jazz

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
ive seen it done in karate but I'd like to to know how you can throw a real leg kick and use it to set off punches? I can throw an inside leg kick to set up punches but thats all ive tried so far. is anyone well known good at that?

You could do something like Andy Ristie does, he throws a kick to the midsection/leg and as soon as he plants his foot (that just kicked) he uses the weight/momentum of the foot to turn his hips for a hook from the same side. Idk how well I explained that lol, but just search Ristie.

You could do something like Andy Ristie does, he throws a kick to the midsection/leg and as soon as he plants his foot (that just kicked) he uses the weight/momentum of the foot to turn his hips for a hook from the same side. Idk how well I explained that lol, but just search Ristie.
This.
Treat the foot like a springboard, as soon as it hits, throw the cross.
I myself have a pretty strong lead leg kick (not switch), and the posture I'm at in the end gives me momentum and torque for a cross/overhand.

Another combo I like is: jab -> teep -> step down + cross (or elbow if you're too close).
This will work if you have good distance control with your jab, and if you have space. If you're not good at it, and you jam up your jab (think bent arm at the elbow) then you dun goofed.

My main combo I do as retaliation from an opponent's hands combination is Leg kick, 3, 2. Thats another example. The position and momentum will give you a very strong hook. This one after the kick, plant your foot back + rip the hook across like you have something resisting your arm, and you're trying to rip it across the room

thanks guys. thats what i see most karate guys do, kick and land the leg then throw a cross. I guess its like a combo where the emphasis is more on the punch than the kick itself landing.

Many thais like to throw a middle kick followed by a chopping straight, both from their strong side.

kongsak does it quite a bit.

Haha yes, was actually just skimming through some of his fights to find something to gif, but I'm to lazy.

Last edited:
Haha yes, was actually just skimming through some of his fight to find something to gif, but I'm to lazy.
thanks for the gifs bro. It seems like dutch people only set up kicks with punches but i was told thais do the opposite.

thanks for the gifs bro. It seems like dutch people only set up kicks with punches but i was told thais do the opposite.
As a new fighter, yes. As you are more experienced you'll be able to do motion feints and mind games with your opponent so you'd be able to land kicks to start your combinations.

New guys aren't the best so they telegraph frequently, doing so its easy to check or counter

As a new fighter, yes. As you are more experienced you'll be able to do motion feints and mind games with your opponent so you'd be able to land kicks to start your combinations.

New guys aren't the best so they telegraph frequently, doing so its easy to check or counter
it seems like guys can punch suprisingly hard on one foot right?

Not really, unless its a superman punch. It looks that way, but you plant your foot and spring off it. If done fast, its a fraction of a second, but the weight transfer is still there.

Teeping/Side kicking your opponent into the fence/ropes is also a pretty easy way to get a combo off.

Last edited:
Dutch kickboxing is built around sending off punches behind kicks

Not gonna be as powerful as a punch that comes from a well planted person, but none the less any punch from a grown male with bad intentions will damage your opponent.

can you recommend any guys besides ristie who do this? I'm used to seeing themj set up kicks with punches.
not off th top of my head, I don't watch a lot of kickboxing.

Start with the basics though- lead leg body kick, when the foot comes down into position throw the rear hand straight. The other side is throwing the rear kick and when your foot is swinging back down you're using that movement to throw a lead hook.

You can flow this 4 punch combo all day- rear kick-lead hook-Rear hand-lead kick

After kicking as your leg is going back to plant, your weight is usually going towards the back. So I would swing my body or kicking side forward to counter that and land a punch in the process.

For example, after throwing a right kick, as it's going back or right as it lands I throw a right cross to help balance myself. Usually, I have to rock back and forth after landing to reset/balance myself. Also, as a habit I would throw a jab after landing anyways to keep them from attacking.

Think of your body like a horizontal pendulum at first. Your power will come from your core so if you throw a right roundhouse kick your left side is setup to throw power. Drills in sparring where you right RH to the leg or mid and then follow up with power left straight to the head when your opponent reacts to the low kick as a basic example.

I'm a southpaw that learned orthodox so my lead leg/arm always catches opponents off guard or my right roundhouse feign sets up my spin back or hook for power and covering distance.

you develop skill then think of the initial attacks as feigns to see what the response is and setup contact strikes. Or ever intensifying complex combinations with the foundation of knowing where your power from your core is coming from.

can you recommend any guys besides ristie who do this? I'm used to seeing themj set up kicks with punches.

Melvin Manhoef is pretty good at it. I did have a search for a gif but I can't seem to find one at the moment.

As a side note, my coach does it quite a lot too:

Melvin Manhoef is pretty good at it. I did have a search for a gif but I can't seem to find one at the moment.

As a side note, my coach does it quite a lot too:

This is Sherdog, if you posted this in 2013, the posters would rip your coach as a can cause he doesn't have his hands up.
Also... Uncle Thai?

This is Sherdog, if you posted this in 2013, the posters would rip your coach as a can cause he doesn't have his hands up.
Also... Uncle Thai?

His name is Thoethai, and he doesn't like being called Kru, but because of his friendly personality most of the people at the gym started calling him Uncle Thai and eventually it stuck, he has it on his shorts and stuff like that. So now that's largely what he's known by in London. :) So when he did the interclub sparring day, whoever recorded the video probably knew him by that name too.

It's funny you mention the hands up though, because the cornerman of Ricky Whiteman was giving him some pretty bad advice, he was telling him that my coach wasn't resetting and that it was his chance to attack, but my coach was always deliberately out of range to catch him coming in... and for some reason Ricky's cornerman didn't catch that. Thankfully it was just a friendly event.

Back