Puenkon retired?

UWanaPlayDaGame

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I saw the news on Yoksutai site that Sport's Authority 2016's Fighter of the year Puenkon Tor Surath was retiring. http://yoksutai.com/noticias/melhor-lutador-de-2016-pendura-as-luvas/

However Puenkon was listed at muaythai2000.net schedule to fight in the main event of the big Onesongchai event of september, 6th;

At the time I didn't notice that the story linked to a news report from muaythai2000 itself http://www.muaythai2000.com/newsdetail.php?newsid=39763&tn=%E3%CB%E9+%22%BB%D7%B9%A1%C5%22+%E0%C5%D4%A1+%22%B5.%CA%D8%C3%D1%B5%B9%EC%22+%CA%D8%B4%B7%B9 and now I just found out that according to MT2000 schedule http://muaythai2000.net/en/promatchshow.php?sdate=6/09/2017 Puenkon is out of the Onesongchai show and has been replaced by Kingsanglek.

According to the original Yoksutai's story, Puenkon's head coach at Tor Surath was quoted saying:

" (Puenkon) was a 100.000 baht fighter, but he wasn't behaving like one. I tried everything, gave him many chances, but he opted for retirement, claiming he was tired. I worry about fighters that love muay thai, and you don't love it anymore, you must leave it.

Also according to MT2000 Thanonchai pulled out of his comeback fight in the Onesongchai show. is it because of his fight in Top King or did he hurt his knee again?

Rob said that Puenkon barely trained for the Wanchalong fight, spent more time with his girlfriend. Don't know about the retirement part though.

It was actually reported that his boss retired him, didn't go into too many details why, but said he was basically not living as he should with a career as a fighter. Thanonchai had some problems with his knee still not being 100% after the fight in China and doctor told him to rest again, he has since stated that he is only going to fight 3 round fights for now.

Not familiar with Puenkon but man that suxs with Tnanonchai...one of my current favorites

Wow, fighter of the year 2016, then half way into next year retired due to girls? Girls will always be a distraction for any fighter. Most gyms don't allow girlfriends. But if he not listen, then what do you do... Peunkon was a upcoming star. too bad, lose to poo tang.

Wow, fighter of the year 2016, then half way into next year retired due to girls? Girls will always be a distraction for any fighter. Most gyms don't allow girlfriends. But if he not listen, then what do you do... Peunkon was a upcoming star. too bad, lose to poo tang.
Maybe not just girls?

I guess he will come back.

it must be hard for these guys in their late teens/early 20's to keep training like it's required once they start making big money. I may be off but from memory, a lot of guys take semi-breaks/go into periods when they don't fight very often after having a big successful run.

Yodwicha took 2015/2016 basically off the stadiums (had one fight per year I think); Pet-U-Thong seems to be chilling after winning Fighter of the year award; even Panpayak is not fighting very often since last year. I'm sure there are many more examples.

Ladyboys too? :eek:
I doubt it :p
was referring more to the possibility maybe he has issues drug wise, something else all gyms have to watch for with their fighters and is a big problem in Thailand not just in boxing scene, they won't come out directly and say it is a problem for a fighter though, but meth is a big problem in Thailand

I doubt it :p
was referring more to the possibility maybe he has issues drug wise, something else all gyms have to watch for with their fighters and is a big problem in Thailand not just in boxing scene, they won't come out directly and say it is a problem for a fighter though, but meth is a big problem in Thailand
Any notable examples of fighters that have had drug problems?

Any notable examples of fighters that have had drug problems?

The biggest surprise probably was when Thongchai Tor Silachai was arrested back when he was still fighting. Have heard stories about many fighters having issues, but it is not something that is openly talked about.

@anorak What's the drug of choice for fighters in Thailand?
Yaba = thailands version of meth..
most tuk tuk drivers, pirates, and kids are on this stuff. Its so bad, that the government put harsher punishment on drugs then the states for users. But many corruption is widespread, most corrupt officials are in it the business. Drug comes mostly from Burma. Thai friend told me the yaba madness is real, and destroys many. I would not be surprise if fighters do also, but if you become a junky than you are junk no good. bye bye.

Yikes. Ya if it's anything like meth that's a very dirty drug and ruins people.

What's the attitude towards Cannabis in Thailand these days?

The backpackers up north and party beach goers down south still can get weed easily. However, down south, word is that cops are working with sellers more often to fine the dingo out of tourist in Phuket area. Up north its easy to get and less regulated, more of a backpacking tree hugging, green smoking community up north.

I guess he will come back.

it must be hard for these guys in their late teens/early 20's to keep training like it's required once they start making big money. I may be off but from memory, a lot of guys take semi-breaks/go into periods when they don't fight very often after having a big successful run.

Yodwicha took 2015/2016 basically off the stadiums (had one fight per year I think); Pet-U-Thong seems to be chilling after winning Fighter of the year award; even Panpayak is not fighting very often since last year. I'm sure there are many more examples.

Panpayak has no fight schedule for him and when I am there, he disappear for the entire month..

Yaba = thailands version of meth..
most tuk tuk drivers, pirates, and kids are on this stuff. Its so bad, that the government put harsher punishment on drugs then the states for users. But many corruption is widespread, most corrupt officials are in it the business. Drug comes mostly from Burma. Thai friend told me the yaba madness is real, and destroys many. I would not be surprise if fighters do also, but if you become a junky than you are junk no good. bye bye.

My aunt used to be a Yaba dealer when she was younger. good old times.

Puenkon is now set to fight Phichitchai Pksaenchai on oct 12 for songchai promotions in the main event so he may be switching camps

Back