Multiplatform PS5 vs Gaming Laptop

PBAC

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
It seems like the divergence in gaming has pretty much evened out. What exactly am I missing out on in getting a gaming laptop as opposed to a PS5?

Games I'm interested in would be FF7 remake, MW2, Sekiro. Maybe Hogwarts Legacy. Everything seems like a Soul's clone.

I'm not a PC player but people keep saying how great it is to have mods for games, supposedly adds a ton of replay value. Also, you have way more options like increasing framerates beyond 60 FPS. The biggest one probably being 4K + 60 FPS+ which even PS5 isn't able to do for new AAA games.

PS5 is mostly for simplicity. Everything is streamlined, no need to worry about which settings are best for each game. The controller is awesome, I think it is the best Sony has made yet. Of course the games are the biggest draw. There's no guarantee that they will end up anywhere else and if they do spoilers have been at for at least a year or two before they go to PC.

I personally go with PS5 because I don't like being on my computer since I work on it so much.

PS5 = Unprecedented peripheral immersion, proprietary file size compression, PSVR2, Remote Play, fair-play ecosystem, industry-carrying and generation-defining game catalogue with services like Premium to facilitate access to and enjoyment of which, first party day-one GOTY-calibre titles, uniquely lively, social, and competitive trophy-hunting culture, no rig overhead nor computer fatigue (work), baller optics for your home entertainment centre.

It really depends on what you already have and how much you are willing to pay extra.

A lot of people have already given you the pros of having a PS5.

Additional things to consider for PS5:

- Do you have a 4K TV that can take advantage of a PS5 (HDMI 2.1, 120Hz Panel, VRR)? These TVS's aren't cheap but prices are coming down. Looking for deals but on average you are looking to spend around $1000 (at least that's what i was looking at last time I checked).
- Even if you have that TV, do you have to share with anyone else? You don't have to deal with that if you have a personal gaming laptop.

There are plenty of pros for a gaming laptop:
- It's personal don't have to share.
- get an EPIC account and periodically log in every few days to claim the free games and you will have a nice library of decent games to play with. Negative is you don't get to choose the games but they'll be some a good /great ones.
- Gamepass Ultimate. Do the Gold trick to score 3 years of XBox Gold and convert that to Gamepass Ultimate and you'll have access to a slew of great games on PC for $180 (3 years). It's a good deal if you want to play some new games during that period for cheap. And if you like Gamepass then you'll be able to hold onto it.
- Acess to PC games - way larger library than Playstation.

Personally... I recommend both... <45>

What exactly am I missing out on in getting a gaming laptop as opposed to a PS5?
(1) Only PS5 full exclusives and backwards compatible PS4 full exclusives that haven't been ported to PC, which doesn't mean they won't be in the future, or generational exclusives that have only been released to the PS5 & PS4, but not PC (ex. Gran Turismo 7).
(2) The free games that come with PS Plus-- any subscription tier-- are also only for the Playstation consoles. That doesn't mean you can't buy them separately, but the perk applies only to consoles.
(3) Most likely UHD Blu-Ray. Not typical among laptops.

To paint a picture...

PS5 Full Exclusives & Playstation-only Generational Exclusives (Released & Upcoming)
  • Astro’s Playroom
  • The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR
  • Demon’s Souls (2020)
  • Destruction All-Stars
  • Go! Go! 5 Jigen Game Neptune: re★Verse
  • God of War: Ragnarok*
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • Horizon: Call of the Mountain*
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2*
  • Marvel's Wolverine*
  • R-Type Final 3 Evolved
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • Stellar Blade
*Count on these Marvel games coming to PC since the other Marvel Spider-Man games already have. Presume the same for Ragnarok & Horizon since their prequels were already ported. Sony has begun to simultaneously release major IPs like Forspoken to PC on Day 1.

Really, that's it.

Otherwise, in terms of software capability, and a potential games library, the laptop will be superior in every conceivable way. You will have access to PC exclusives and Xbox console exclusives that you can't buy on the PS5. You can use game emulation to play the entire library for free of almost every console that ever existed (including the Switch). You will get superior versions of multiplatform games that enable you with greater control over the game's mechanics. You may also use mods. You will have access to a plethora of game services the PS5 can't access. In fact, a service available to PCs includes Sony's own Playstation Plus Premium service (i.e. Playstation cloud features). You may visit this thread to learn more about those services, and also stores/launchers for PC:
Game Services thread, v2: Sony ending Playstation Plus Collection perk

You will get better prices on games-- easily the best sales:
https://isthereanydeal.com/

You will have access to the best giveaways (like Epic's weekly giveaway & Amazon Prime's free monthly giveaways). Here's the history of their giveaways:
https://jz6.github.io/RatingEpicGames/
https://gg.deals/news/prime-gaming-free-games/

Depending on how much you spend, the same superiority is possible in terms of hardware. A laptop can output its image to a 4K@120fps TV no differently than a PS5 if you buy the correct unit with ports capable of carrying that high-bandwidth signal. Conversely, the PS5 will never be portable with its own built-in screen. Everything from processing power to graphic power to storage speeds are superior if you spend enough. You can use any PS5 controller with your laptop, and even many controllers that aren't an option for the PS5. The PS5 is pretty flexible for other accessories, like headphones, but still won't match the laptop.

You also won't be restricted to the shitty console versions of God gaming software like Discord. This goes for browsers, Spotify, YouTube, ESPN, all of them. Do you love ads? Hope you do.
Games I'm interested in would be FF7 remake, MW2, Sekiro. Maybe Hogwarts Legacy. Everything seems like a Soul's clone.
Every one of those you can play on PC. Compare the Playstation's upcoming calendar to this:
Upcoming Games (PC-centric Edition)

I won't mince words. Consoles are obsolete.

Last edited:
(1) Only PS5 full exclusives and backwards compatible PS4 full exclusives that haven't been ported to PC, which doesn't mean they won't be in the future, or generational exclusives that have only been released to the PS5 & PS4, but not PC (ex. Gran Turismo 7).
(2) The free games that come with PS Plus-- any subscription tier-- are also only for the Playstation consoles.
(3) Most likely UHD Blu-Ray. Not typical among laptops.

To paint a picture...

PS5 Full Exclusives (Released & Upcoming)
  • Astro’s Playroom
  • The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR
  • Demon’s Souls (2020)
  • Destruction All-Stars
  • Go! Go! 5 Jigen Game Neptune: re★Verse
  • God of War: Ragnarok*
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • Horizon: Call of the Mountain
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2*
  • Marvel's Wolverine*
  • R-Type Final 3 Evolved
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • Stellar Blade
*Count on these Marvel games coming to PC since the other Marvel Spider-Man games already have. Presume the same for Ragnarok since the 2018 God of War was already ported. Sony has begun to simultaneously release major IPs like Forspoken to PC on Day 1.

Really, that's it.

Otherwise, in terms of software capability, and a potential games library, the laptop will be superior in every conceivable way. You will have access to PC exclusives and Xbox console exclusives that you can't buy on the PS5. You will get superior versions of multiplatform games that enable you with greater control over the game's mechanics. You may also use mods. You will have access to a plethora of game services the PS5 can't access including Sony's own PC-side features from their Playstation Plus Premium service (i.e. Playstation cloud). You may visit this thread to learn more about those services, and also stores/launchers for PC:
Game Services thread, v2: Sony ending Playstation Plus Collection perk

You will get better prices on games. You will have access to the best giveaways (like Epic's weekly giveaway).

Depending on how much you spend, the same superiority is possible in terms of hardware. A laptop can output its image to a 4K@120fps TV no differently than a PS5 if you buy the correct unit with ports capable of carrying that high-bandwidth signal. Conversely, the PS5 will never be portable with its own built-in screen. Everything from processing power to graphic power to storage speeds are superior if you spend enough. You can use any PS5 controller with your laptop, and even many controllers that aren't an option for the PS5. The PS5 is pretty flexible for other accessories, like headphones, but still won't match the laptop.

You also won't be restricted to the shitty console versions of God gaming software like Discord. This goes for browsers, Spotify, YouTube, ESPN, all of them. Do you love ads? Hope you do.

Every one of those you can play on PC.

I won't mince words. Consoles are obsolete.

for the last month or two ive literally been contemplating buying a ps5 just for gran turismo 7 and demon souls. even though i could get demon souls for my ps3, or even emulate it on my pc, and i could get gran turismo for my ps4 which now sounds like a jet engine even while idling, and i think the battery life in my controller won't even hold a charge for like half an hour.

part of me still wants to do it though, even though i figure my ps5 would just sit there next to my series x collecting dust, along with all the rest of my consoles. i still wouldnt mind getting to play those 2 games in a higher fidelity. and maybe get to play final fantasy xvi a little earlier.

i've been trying to find a reason to justify buying one, but so far i havent. i almost bought it on impulse a while ago but the stores here were sold out and i couldnt find one online for anywhere near MSRP at the time because it was right during the christmas holidays and everybody else was buying them up so i just said fuck it.

It seems like the divergence in gaming has pretty much evened out. What exactly am I missing out on in getting a gaming laptop as opposed to a PS5?

FFVII Remake is free with PS Plus and the upcoming sequel Rebirth is PS5-exclusive, iirc. Haven’t yet played myself but I believe PS platform also offers unique shopkeeper vanity and quests re: Hogwarts. Sony is a shareholder of From, maker behind Sekiro, so expect future collab’ there as from FF’s Square Enix too, longtime Sony butt-buddy; you’ll be able to play FFXVI 6 months early on the 5, to add. PS awards exclusive Events/XP windows for MWII play as well as gifting free seasonal bundles with operator skins, weapons, and other vanity; operator Oni has some standout PlayStation drip from previous seasons, for example.

Laptop has better mobility. Closing lid, moving about, and setting up elsewhere is easy. PS5 in comparison is heavy and must be plugged in; best enjoyed in situ, really. Depending on how and where you want to game, maybe laptop wisest for you.

It honestly depends on the money youre willing to spend. Buyin a top tier laptop will enable you to play more free games than youll ever play. You can try demos, hell you can pirate if youre broke. Sony exclusives are already coming over in droves, and with Gamepass PC, you can play all the new xbox exclusives.

PC is a better proposition at this moment, but if youve only got the same money to spend on a PS5 or a laptop, go with the PS5. The PS5 is just as good if not better than a laptop at the same price.

In your situation id go ps5. Maybe look at Xbox games and if those interest you then pc might be better if not just go ps5.

($1187) Legion 5 Gen 7 AMD (15”) with RTX 3060 | Lenovo US
Product Number: 82RD000XUS
  • 15.6" 1920x1080 165Hz 100% sRGB IPS Display
  • AMD R7-6800H
  • NVIDIA RTX 3060 8GB Mobile
  • 16GB (2x8GB) DDR5-4800 RAM
  • 2TB m.2 SSD Gen4
  • WiFi 6E 2x2
  • 720p Webcam
  • RGB Backlit Keyboard
  • 80WH Battery
  • Windows 11 Home
  • 3 Free Months Xbox Game Pass

A solid sale on one of the most acclaimed gaming laptop series of recent years. The 2TB SSD is where a lot of the value is derived for this unit. For the sake of comparison, here is an Amazon bestseller:
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-PH315-54-760S-i7-11800H-Keyboard/dp/B092YHJLS6/
-- An inferior display with a lower refresh rate & lower color gamut; an inferior CPU; slower DDR4 RAM; a much smaller & also slower Gen3 512GB SSD; inferior WiFi 6 card; inferior 57WH battery; no complimentary 3-months Game Pass.

*Edit*
A slightly cheaper option, but an even better sale.
($899) MSI - Delta AMD Advantage Edition 15.6" FHD 240hz Gaming Laptop - Ryzen R7-5800 - Radeon RX6700M - 1TB SSD - 16GB Memory - Black
Product Number: Delta 15 A5EFK-001

• 15.6" 1920x1080 240Hz IPS Display
  • AMD R7-5800H
  • AMD RX 6700M 10GB
  • 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 RAM
  • 1TB m.2 SSD Gen3
  • WiFi 6E 2x2
  • 720p Webcam
  • RGB Backlit Keyboard
  • 82WH Battery
  • Windows 11 Home

Last edited:
FFVII Remake is free with PS Plus and the upcoming sequel Rebirth is PS5-exclusive, iirc. Haven’t yet played myself but I believe PS platform also offers unique shopkeeper vanity and quests re: Hogwarts. Sony is a shareholder of From, maker behind Sekiro, so expect future collab’ there as from FF’s Square Enix too, longtime Sony butt-buddy; you’ll be able to play FFXVI 6 months early on the 5, to add. PS awards exclusive Events/XP windows for MWII play as well as gifting free seasonal bundles with operator skins, weapons, and other vanity; operator Oni has some standout PlayStation drip from previous seasons, for example.

Laptop has better mobility. Closing lid, moving about, and setting up elsewhere is easy. PS5 in comparison is heavy and must be plugged in; best enjoyed in situ, really. Depending on how and where you want to game, maybe laptop wisest for you.

I feel like there's a word for that in the drug dealer world but I can't think of it

You would miss out on a ton of exclusives by going with a ps5. PC is more expensive though and laptops are even more so. With a gaming laptop, you usually see some issues crop up within 2-3 years that degreases the experience. I would only recommend a gaming laptop if you need the portability.

Back