problems with running the pipe

machomang

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
For starters, my wrestling is very rudimentary. I've been training for 5 years but the gym I'm at teaches very little takedowns. I know the basics of the single leg. I know to keep good posture, I know to circle when running the pipe. I keep my head in the ribs. But for whatever reason, my opponent is able to maintain balance. What are the nuances? What am I missing? What should I chain if running the pipe is unsuccessful? What is the ideal head position? I've been taught to keep it on the inside or on the ribs so that I don't get guillotined but I see guys like DC keeping their head on the outside.

Out of curiosity, why the reverse and not the normal Barzegar? Just personal preference?
I prefer the reverse because it’s harder to counter or whizzer out of like the frontside barzegar. That’s my personal opinion though

What do you combo with the reverse barzegar? I'm especially curious about what to do if you can't get to the rear leg, does his reaction help you switch to an elevated finish (ankle to armpit) or to a low finish? If I get to the rear leg, the finish is pretty reliable, but do you ever have trouble finishing once you have the rear leg?

What do you combo with the reverse barzegar? I'm especially curious about what to do if you can't get to the rear leg, does his reaction help you switch to an elevated finish (ankle to armpit) or to a low finish? If I get to the rear leg, the finish is pretty reliable, but do you ever have trouble finishing once you have the rear leg?
If you can’t get to his rear leg it means that his legs are spread apart and he has a wide base. If that is the case then running the pipe should be easy to hit. When you run the pipe he will hop his free leg closer to his captured leg in an attempt to maintain his balance. When he does that his legs will be closer and you should be able to hit the Barzegar/Reverse Barzegar.

Do a proper level change. Just try getting down to your knees.

Its not enough to just circle. You have to circle, bow your head to the mat and squat down all at the same time.

Personally I slide back and do something close to running the pipe where you cup over the knee and pull down. LIke Ron said, if you cant get the back leg, you can pipe. If I know the guy has good balance, I punch up super hard to a tree top and run him down.

Personally I slide back and do something close to running the pipe where you cup over the knee and pull down. LIke Ron said, if you cant get the back leg, you can pipe. If I know the guy has good balance, I punch up super hard to a tree top and run him down.
What’s your personal favorite way to teach finishing the treetop? I prefer the uppercut bringing your hips in to make sweeping the foot easy

Thoughts on this? I wasn't familiar with the uppercut, but does this video cover it?

Sometimes when I snatch single, the guy will get heavy on his heel to prevent me from tree topping. While I guess I could switch to double, would you just continue to drive in to the guy to lighten the leg to tree top it?

Yeah this is exactly what I do for treetops. Im a little more explosive than that old guy though.

I've been working on these finishes, as my open guard is basically evolving into coming up on single legs as my hands are getting mangled from my beloved spider guard.

On the third one he shows on the chattanoga video- he uses the forearm to push / bend the knee down to the mat.

I've watched the kolat version, and he uses more of the shoulder to accomplish the same thing.

Is one version superior? If they are basically the same / personal preference, I'd rather keep the grip with two hands to keep the arm transition to a minimum.

Otherwise, I don't mind the idea of keeping the one arm more free to make jumping to the back easier for BJJ.

Thoughts?

And thanks to both you and jack for bringing the wrestling knowledge to us guys who are looking to add it to our game. Much appreciated.

I'll be drilling that Barzegar tonight.

I've been working on these finishes, as my open guard is basically evolving into coming up on single legs as my hands are getting mangled from my beloved spider guard.

On the third one he shows on the chattanoga video- he uses the forearm to push / bend the knee down to the mat.

I've watched the kolat version, and he uses more of the shoulder to accomplish the same thing.

Is one version superior? If they are basically the same / personal preference, I'd rather keep the grip with two hands to keep the arm transition to a minimum.

Otherwise, I don't mind the idea of keeping the one arm more free to make jumping to the back easier for BJJ.

Thoughts?

And thanks to both you and jack for bringing the wrestling knowledge to us guys who are looking to add it to our game. Much appreciated.

I'll be drilling that Barzegar tonight.
Its just balance and pressure feel. The forearm one is more when the guy is fleeing away, the shoulder is when they are preventing a treetop. I use the hand to cup over the knee when the guy really defends the reverse Barzegar because my shoulder comes off the thigh.

This is the thing about wrestling that other sports can learn. There are hundreds of answers to the same problem. Because one is pretty and doesnt require strength or speed doesnt mean its superior.

with any takedown i like to have a 3 move series always as a bailout in case it doesnt work i either do a thigh pry where i go behind them or i jack it up to a tree top

singles without shoes make finishing certain moves hard alot of mma guys dont fear single legs cause of it i think single legs work great at over 200 pounds cause guys dont have as great of balance guys under 185 or so its hard to finish good people i dont remember last time besides khabib that finished a single in the open

I love this finish, I didn't know it was called a reverse barzegar, but I use it all the time.

I'm not sure if it's correct to do so but typically I'm not on my knees as I reach for the far leg. I keep driving on my feet and depending on which way people defend ill try a tree top, get in tight on a high crotch and lift, or get a body lock. Is there anything wrong with just dropping level this way but coming up off your knees? I'm not an experienced wrestler and this is in a mma setting.

Back