Problem & Solution: Threads Posted in Wrong Forum

latoya johnson

Double Black Card
@Green
Reaction score
@Drake @shonuf @Augustus Caesar
I know I'm just a lowly e-peasant, but I have a suggestion...

Everyone posts their threads in the generic UFC forum, regardless of the topic, because that's the only way their threads get on Sherdog's home page.

Even after a mod moves the thread to its appropriate forum, its title and link are still visible on the home page if (and only if) it was originally posted in the generic UFC forum discussion.

This rewards people for posting their topics in the wrong forum (UFC discussion) by giving them home page visibility, thereby encouraging the behavior.
It also gives the mods more work, because they have to ceaselessly relocate them.

I recommend one of two solutions:
1. Delete all threads that are posted in the wrong forum (until they're posted in the right forum), or
2. Allow all forums to be visible on Sherdog's home page.

This will deincentivize people from posting in the wrong forum.

Everyone posts their threads in the generic UFC forum, regardless of the topic, because that's the only way their threads get on Sherdog's home page.

Even after a mod moves the thread to its appropriate forum, its title and link are still visible on the home page if (and only if) it was originally posted in the generic UFC forum discussion.

This rewards people for posting their topics in the wrong forum (UFC discussion) by giving them home page visibility, thereby encouraging the behavior.
It also gives the mods more work, because they have to ceaselessly relocate them.

1. Delete all threads that are posted in the wrong forum (until they're posted in the right forum), or

Tried to get something similar going (endgame-wise) last year but no takers...

Here

1. Sherdog has a homepage?
2. Threads appear on the sherdog homepage?

who knew?

(I very much doubt that is the reason people post threads in the UFC section, I didnt even realise threads there appeared somewhere)

1. Sherdog has a homepage?
2. Threads appear on the sherdog homepage?

who knew?

(I very much doubt that is the reason people post threads in the UFC section, I didnt even realise threads there appeared somewhere)
Yeah, it looks like this.
upload_2017-6-17_17-57-59.png
The threads links are on the right.

we can't allow all forums to be visible. That just won't happen for a lot of reasons.

As far as deleting them, we will if it's a joke thread. If it's a normal thread that is bringing a normal conversation it will just be moved.

I personally don't think being on the home page plays much of a role. It may though. Of course, if it becomes a reoccurring theme for some users and it's on purpose it will be carded.

Hope that helps some. Of course these are just my thoughts.

When we move threads that were put in the wrong forum, we generally leave a temporary redirect so we don't get people that were posting in the threads complaining that they think their thread was deleted, when in fact it was just moved to the right place. As for the main page, it's not the best idea to have *every* forum allowed to be visible on that space on it, because this is a mixed martial arts forum after all. What good would it do for us to have a political or weird gross P&M thread on the front page of our site?

The links on the main page change frequently so it's more reflective of what's actively being discussed, which is beneficial. If someone's exploiting the system to try to get their threads strategically on the front page, we deal with them accordingly.

Deleting every thread we come across that is in the wrong place would take just as much time as it does to move it, only we wouldn't have to respond to potential complaints asking why their thread was deleted.

Back