Private lesson questions

purples and browns usually charge around $20-$50 for private lessons. Black belts usually charge around $100. You could learn BJJ from privates only, but it is hard and you have to do "semi-privates" and roll at open mat a lot.

roll with as many different people as possible, but privates might help for techniique if your not picking it up quickly in group.

privates can only do so much, but if you add regular training with privates then youll be a very good grappler, shit varies though,,,

I will take a private when I start having the $$$ to work on things specifically I need to work on. Nothing like taking 1 hr and getting 1 on 1 instruction on your weakest point.

As a beginner, I don't see anything wrong with taking privates from a purple or brown. I've heard some of the "phenoms" such as BJ Penn and Mike Fowler have taken a ton of privates on their accelerated path to BB.

I would think that if you were taking Privates as you main way of learning BJJ, you would progress quicker. With typical classes, things go at a slower pace, since there is ALOT of redundancy due to irregular class attendance. With privates, your instructor knows exactly where you are in the scheme of things, as well as what you need to work.

Privates helped me immensely. You should roll with as many people as you can but take your weakness' and focus on those in privates.

Wouldnt be a bad idea if you can afford it. Or you could buy a few DVD's and start teaching yourself..lol

our instructor (purple belt) does a great job in semi-privates. i tend to pick up alot quicker in semi-privates, or even smaller classes than when we have a full classroom. try it out, you might get more out of it.

Necro post ... almost ten years old!

So, what are the going rates for privates in 2017?

How about
Purple-50
Brown-60
Black-75
A well known black-150-200
Rafa, Caio, buchecha 400?

More black belts = lower cost?
purples and browns usually charge around $20-$50 for private lessons. Black belts usually charge around $100. You could learn BJJ from privates only, but it is hard and you have to do "semi-privates" and roll at open mat a lot.

Honestly, I have known wealthy people who take privates and I really do not see more improvement than anyone else. Grappling is self taught, you have to be taught the actual techniques, but you actually learn them (muscle memory) when you are going live. if anything you are better off doing group lessons because you roll with more people who have different energies.

Honestly, I have known wealthy people who take privates and I really do not see more improvement than anyone else. Grappling is self taught, you have to be taught the actual techniques, but you actually learn them (muscle memory) when you are going live. if anything you are better off doing group lessons because you roll with more people who have different energies.

How much are those wealthy people paying? I don't disagree with most of your theory. Self taught?

I don't have that information, but they move up rank quicker, basically they are buying a belt.

Your fore brain has to be taught the actual technique, but in order to burn it into your mid brain you do it through repetition and going live. You can be told how to do something, but you have to actually feel it without thought to actually learn it. It is hard to explain. My knowledge is limited in BJJ, but in wrestling sometimes you will get a takedown and you will not remember how you got it, your body totally reacted, that you can't be taught.

Your fore brain has to be taught the actual technique, but in order to burn it into your mid brain you do it through repetition and going live. You can be told how to do something, but you have to actually feel it without thought to actually learn it. It is hard to explain. My knowledge is limited in BJJ, but in wrestling sometimes you will get a takedown and you will not remember how you got it, your body totally reacted, that you can't be taught.

I'm with you, bro... I've never taken a private lesson. I'm going on 20 years mat time. People are just asking me how much. I'm figuring the going rate is about $75. I don't really want to do it. I'm busy enough. I'm thinking it's a single mother of one of the kids who just wants to snugggle up with me.
I ain't cheap.

Necro post ... almost ten years old!

So, what are the going rates for privates in 2017?

How about
Purple-50
Brown-60
Black-75
A well known black-150-200
Rafa, Caio, buchecha 400?

More black belts = lower cost?

Hey Bill. The gym I train at charges $100.00 per lesson. The owner sets those prices, so he knows more about it than I do. I'm a brown, but I get $100.00, too (based on his pricing). If people buy a "pack" of privates he gives a discounted rate (I think three private lessons is priced at $240.00).

When I lived in Korea, the black belts charged 100,000 Won (about $100.00 USD) per private.

The Miyao brothers have stayed at our gym a couple of times. They charged $200.00 per private lesson. I think the big name guys charge $200.00 on upward.

Hey Bill. The gym I train at charges $100.00 per lesson. The owner sets those prices, so he knows more about it than I do. I'm a brown, but I get $100.00, too (based on his pricing). If people buy a "pack" of privates he gives a discounted rate (I think three private lessons is priced at $240.00).

When I lived in Korea, the black belts charged 100,000 Won (about $100.00 USD) per private.

The Miyao brothers have stayed at our gym a couple of times. They charged $200.00 per private lesson. I think the big name guys charge $200.00 on upward.

Thank you, sir... might I ask what the owners cut is? 20-25%? Is that about right? He pays for the insurance and electricity. Is that fair?

OK. I don't really what is the current rate is in NZ or the US.

But I think you could charge what a private trainer charge per hour and also add how much he has to give the gym where he hosts his private training.

You also have to add the time before and after the class: the down time.

So last time I checked it was like $60 per hour and then some gym would ask a quarter or half of your private depending on you are bringing your own customer or poaching from their already client base. .

As I know you already have a day time job, so I would suggest to put a number on what is your time is worth instead of comparing on existing rates?

I mean that I am so busy that it would not be fair to do private classes unless it is really worth it financially or good for the heart.

One guy I know charges based on how much the person earns for his private classes.

Last edited:
Back