Prime Ken Shamrock vs Alexander Gustafsson

There's zero evidence of Kimo's TKD background. They showed footage of him doing some kicks in the UFC 3 promo, but I never saw him use it in the cage. Most likely Joe Son (who made up his own style) fabricated it. The same with Gary Goodridge's Kuk Sool Won background.
http://www.martialtalk.com/threads/did-a-gracie-nearly-lose-to-tkd.111131/

I still consider Seven one-dimensional--a wrestler with a little judo/sambo training. He didn't even know what a triangle choke was...that's why Royce subbed him. He went to Mark Tripp (a regular on the old NHB forums) for jiu-jitsu training after he lost to Gracie. None of the early grapplers (Royce, Severn, Shamrock, Remco, etc.) had good enough striking to be considered multi-dimensional or cross-trained.
Cross-training didnt start with Frank or Ruas or Frye.

These ol´school dudes were already doing it back in the days [1950s-60s]:

Euclydes Pereira [Luta Livre/Karate/Boxe/Capoeira]
Ivan Gomes [Luta Livre/Judo]
Waldemar Santana [BJJ/Capoeira/Boxe]
etc

Last edited:
Having a background in something and showing it in the cage are 2 completely different things.

For instance, Marco Ruas is a Capoeira master. Did he show it during his NHB/Vale Tudo fights?

Severn obviously didnt know about BJJ subs, but he did have a sambo background.

U seem to consider these ol´school dudes as one-dimensional while new breed guys like DC would be multi?

Check this:

http://twitpic.com/cksc9p

At one point during the fight, Mir stopped,watched & smiled after DC showcased his "striking".

I keep reading here that Ken had zero striking... SMH

Ken had decent boxing and some power for an early fighter...but he never KO'd anyone in the UFC or Pancrase besides Leininger, and that was a pure GnP TKO. I don't recall him winning a decision primarily because of his striking, either.

That was a pretty dumb/bad move by DC, but his boxing was good enough to destroy Bigfoot just 7 months after Bigfoot beat Fedor. A bad attempt at a fancy/spinning move doesn't discredit someone's striking. He's a lot more well-rounded than early wrestlers like Severn and Coleman.

Ken had decent boxing and some power for an early fighter...but he never KO'd anyone in the UFC or Pancrase besides Leininger, and that was a pure GnP TKO. I don't recall him winning a decision primarily because of his striking, either.

That was a pretty dumb/bad move by DC, but his boxing was good enough to destroy Bigfoot just 7 months after Bigfoot beat Fedor. A bad attempt at a fancy/spinning move doesn't discredit someone's striking. He's a lot more well-rounded than early wrestlers like Severn and Coleman.

"just 7 months after Bigfoot beat Fedor." ... sigh.

Ken had some deceptive striking, he destroyed Kimo with one knee.

Last edited:
Back